Low calorie, low carb, low fat lemon meringue pie substitute (no coliflower involved)

acogg
acogg Posts: 1,870 Member
I have been having a craving for lemon meringue pie. After weeks of cooking disasters, I finally found a satisfactory substitute. It is from a Betty Crocker cookbook from the 1970's. I simply replaced the sugar with Splenda and now I have a low cal lemony treat. Based on 6 servings per loaf pan, it is only 76 calories per serving. Yay!

2 eggs, separated
1 cup Splenda
1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
2/3 cups milk (I used 1%, but I suspect any will work)
1/4 cup flour

Preheat oven to 350 F. Separate the whites of eggs from the yolks. Whip the whites until they form soft peaks. Set aside. In a separate bowl, whip the yolks until smooth. Add milk, lemon zest and lemon juice, beat until smooth. Add Splenda and flour, beating on low until smooth. Fold this into beaten egg whites. Pour the batter into an ungreased 1 quart loaf pan. Set the loaf pan in another larger oven pan that has about an inch of very hot water in the bottom. Bake at 350 for about 45 minutes or until the top looks toasty and golden.

The flour will sink to the bottom and the meringue will rise to the top, creating a pie like desert. I hope you like it.

Replies

• MaryCS62
    MaryCS62 Posts: 266 Member
    Looks yummy!! I will be trying that out soon. I could probably also use GF all purpose flour, since the amount is so small that the sub won't matter (daugher is celiac). I wonder if you could use a round or square pie or cake pan instead.
  • suruda
    suruda Posts: 1,233 Member
    I am totally going to try this one! Yum!
  • lgmorgansb
    lgmorgansb Posts: 27 Member
    This sounds awesome so I'm going to give it a try.

2 eggs, separated
    1 cup Splenda
    1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
    1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
    2/3 cups milk (I used 1%, but I suspect any will work)
    1/4 cup flour

Preheat oven to 350 F. Separate the whites of eggs from the yolks. Whip the whites until they form soft peaks. Set aside. In a separate bowl, whip the yolks until smooth. Add milk, lemon zest and lemon juice, beat until smooth. Add Splenda and flour, beating on low until smooth. Fold this into beaten egg whites. Pour the batter into an ungreased 1 quart loaf pan. Set the loaf pan in another larger oven pan that has about an inch of very hot water in the bottom. Bake at 350 for about 45 minutes or until the top looks toasty and golden.

The flour will sink to the bottom and the meringue will rise to the top, creating a pie like desert. I hope you like it.
    [/quote]
    suruda wrote: »
    I am totally going to try this one! Yum!

• BigLifter10
    BigLifter10 Posts: 1,153 Member
    Thank you!!! I have been wanting something lemon-y lately - I will be trying this!!!