Beginning powerlifting any fellow lifters???!

Options
hmotis
hmotis Posts: 33 Member
I have successfully lost 30 pounds losing weight the old fashioned way (eating at a calorie deficit and working out regularly). I trained and ran my first half marathon at Disney World, and now I'm beginning to get into the lifting circuit, most specifically, powerlifting. I still want to lose about 25 more pounds, and get shredded, while lifting heavy *kitten* weights! Any fellow lifters out there? I would love to meet some like minded My Fitness Pal friends! Hope to hear from you!!

Replies

• Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    There are quite a few powerlifters here. Check out the powerlifting group (although it does tend to be quiet).

I'm a heavyweight in 84kg, currently ramping up for provincials in July.
  • hmotis
    Options
    Good to know! Mind if I add you? I still have yet to figure out my desired weight class and when I want to compete. Just joined a powerlifting gym and am seeing my potential there. I'm at 87 kg right now but want to cut lower
  • StrongMindandBody01
    Options
    I am interested to find out what happens with your strength while losing bodyweight. Feel free to keep me posted too. I am very strong and lift heavy at the gym, but I've yet to compete. What's your favorite lift?
  • DinoB73
    DinoB73 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm in a similar situation. I powerlift and have a few meets under my belt, but I do want to shed some fat. It's hard to go all out in a calorie deficit and its even harder to know that I'm going to sacrifice strength. If you're not already you should check out Jim Wendler's 5/3/1 program. I've used it for the better part of 2 years and it has added huge amounts to my lifts.
  • gonnasnap
    gonnasnap Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    The above comment was mine...I didn't realize I was logged on to my old account.
  • hmotis
    Options
    I joined a powerlifting gym and my membership includes diet consultation. My diet pre lifting was at 1500 a day and if I worked out I ate more but still maintained a deficit. I wasn't able to really max out the entire time I was on this diet plan. A week ago, they changed my macros completely so I now eat 240g of carbs, 150 g of protein, and only 60g of fat. This was baffling to me because I always thought carbs would make me maintain weight... But actually I lost 3 pounds, and maxed out to 135 bench and 245 in deadlift! So already I can feel a gigantic change. I love bench because I'm starting to really get a feel for it, and deadlift is naturally easy for me since I swam competitively for 14 years! I would love to hear all your stories.. How did you get started? What's your diet like?
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,773 Member
    Options
    When I started weightlifting over five years ago, I became thrilled with the whole lifting experience, especially when my body composition started to change, losing weight and swapping fat for muscle. At first I focused upon the bodybuilding side, living for larger lifts and larger numbers on the tape measure. But eventually my wife started to object to my size. That's when I discovered MFP.

I've since turned my focus to powerlifting, not for any competition but as a goal for my lifting. Despite losing 20#, I've added 30# to my bench and 50# to my squat. (My deadlift has stayed stagnant, but that's more of a coaching issue, since I train solo.)

I'm now loving where I am. My current 3-lift total is 1155 at 182# BW, goal of breaking 1200 by the end of the year. Meanwhile my waist is the same size as back in my college days, but with far more muscle on my torso. Wish I had this figure back as a teen! Not bad for a guy approaching 40 years old.
  • BraveNewdGirl
    BraveNewdGirl Posts: 937 Member
    Options
    Eat, Train, Progress is another group that has a lot of powerlifters and is a bit more active than the Powerlifting group. Definitely check it out.
  • StrongMindandBody01
    Options
    I decided to lift when I was 15 because I liked being bigger and stronger than I was without lifting. My latest stint is about 3 years. I've put on about 12 lbs of muscle while staying at low body fat. As I said, I am still planning on when to compete, but I definitely do plan on competing. At 162lbs my numbers are deadlift: 485X1, bench: 285X5, and squat: 365X4. It may be time for me to ask for a spotter. I am going easy on the squats, too.

My diet requires work. At this point, I only have 100g of protein, about 500g complex carbs, and minimal fats. I have to get closer to the regimen myfitnesspal has set for me:) Anyway, I like hearing about how things are going for you.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    hmotis wrote: »
    I joined a powerlifting gym and my membership includes diet consultation. My diet pre lifting was at 1500 a day and if I worked out I ate more but still maintained a deficit. I wasn't able to really max out the entire time I was on this diet plan. A week ago, they changed my macros completely so I now eat 240g of carbs, 150 g of protein, and only 60g of fat. This was baffling to me because I always thought carbs would make me maintain weight... But actually I lost 3 pounds, and maxed out to 135 bench and 245 in deadlift! So already I can feel a gigantic change. I love bench because I'm starting to really get a feel for it, and deadlift is naturally easy for me since I swam competitively for 14 years! I would love to hear all your stories.. How did you get started? What's your diet like?

Are you training at Mike/Matt Peltz' gym in Arizona by chance? It looks like it by that wall poster in the background. Those dudes are legit and there's some strong mofo's at that gym.

My cousin trains there, I'll let her know about this thread so she can FR you. She might be doing her first comp coming up this summer but not sure yet.
  • hmotis
    Options
    SideSteel wrote: »

Are you training at Mike/Matt Peltz' gym in Arizona by chance? It looks like it by that wall poster in the background. Those dudes are legit and there's some strong mofo's at that gym.

My cousin trains there, I'll let her know about this thread so she can FR you. She might be doing her first comp coming up this summer but not sure yet.

Dude that's exactly where I'm at!!! Just moved to Arizona a month ago and found iron heaven at this gym. I've already met a lot of the girls there so maybe I already know her! But feel free to friend me and have her as well!
  • hmotis
    Options
    nossmf wrote: »
    When I started weightlifting over five years ago, I became thrilled with the whole lifting experience, especially when my body composition started to change, losing weight and swapping fat for muscle. At first I focused upon the bodybuilding side, living for larger lifts and larger numbers on the tape measure. But eventually my wife started to object to my size. That's when I discovered MFP.

I've since turned my focus to powerlifting, not for any competition but as a goal for my lifting. Despite losing 20#, I've added 30# to my bench and 50# to my squat. (My deadlift has stayed stagnant, but that's more of a coaching issue, since I train solo.)

I'm now loving where I am. My current 3-lift total is 1155 at 182# BW, goal of breaking 1200 by the end of the year. Meanwhile my waist is the same size as back in my college days, but with far more muscle on my torso. Wish I had this figure back as a teen! Not bad for a guy approaching 40 years old.

That's really awesome hearing you've had success losing weight and gaining strength. It's definitely my end goal to find a weight I can sustain but also get stronger at. I have always had a large frame, so healthy body weight for me is at 160. Keep it up!
  • hmotis
    Options
    I decided to lift when I was 15 because I liked being bigger and stronger than I was without lifting. My latest stint is about 3 years. I've put on about 12 lbs of muscle while staying at low body fat. As I said, I am still planning on when to compete, but I definitely do plan on competing. At 162lbs my numbers are deadlift: 485X1, bench: 285X5, and squat: 365X4. It may be time for me to ask for a spotter. I am going easy on the squats, too.

My diet requires work. At this point, I only have 100g of protein, about 500g complex carbs, and minimal fats. I have to get closer to the regimen myfitnesspal has set for me:) Anyway, I like hearing about how things are going for you.

Very nice! Feel free to add me I update MFP daily, and check it constantly for my macros. Competing is scary for me because I have no idea what to expect, or where I will be at, but it's nice to hear about others who work hard and are successful. Good motivation!
  • russelfine
    russelfine Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Revolution training for the win!
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,773 Member
    Options
    Russelfine, I see by your avatar you do deadlifts sumo-style with feet outside of hands. I do my squats sumo-style, but conventional deadlifts, though my deadlift lags behind my other lifts. I wonder if I should try sumo-deads as well.
  • Lofteren
    Lofteren Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    I recently lost 60lbs and added 200lbs to my total in a year. This was already at a point where I had been lifting for several years and had a masters level total so it was pretty hard to do. The best advice that I can give you is to not lift with too much volume and to not neglect your conditioning work. Just as an example, one of my deadlifting sessions would involve me working up to a heavy set with 2 or 3 reps and then doing 3 back off sets with 80% of my top set for 5 reps. Then I'd do some heavy kettlebell swings for time and ab wheel roll outs. That's it. That's a total of 4 work sets (Only 1 of them very heavy, btw) and then some conditioning and abs.

Just keep your training intensity super high and your training volume moderately low or you'll burn out too fast on a cut. Good luck to you.
  • russelfine
    russelfine Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    nossmf wrote: »
    Russelfine, I see by your avatar you do deadlifts sumo-style with feet outside of hands. I do my squats sumo-style, but conventional deadlifts, though my deadlift lags behind my other lifts. I wonder if I should try sumo-deads as well.

Do sumo, my deads lagged for a long time, I switched about a year ago to sumo now I'm in the 600 club. I have t gone back to conventional. Also I'm assuming you do sumo because of your build. If you have hip flexibility issues roll out your adductors with a pvc pipe before you lift, does wonders for me.
  • PAYNEMAKER
    PAYNEMAKER Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I don't compete . But for getting into the best overall condition wieght training is always the way to go..I do the classic bulking on and off in the winter and now it's time to shred.but good motivation :)
  • hmotis
    Options
    Lofteren wrote: »
    I recently lost 60lbs and added 200lbs to my total in a year. This was already at a point where I had been lifting for several years and had a masters level total so it was pretty hard to do. The best advice that I can give you is to not lift with too much volume and to not neglect your conditioning work. Just as an example, one of my deadlifting sessions would involve me working up to a heavy set with 2 or 3 reps and then doing 3 back off sets with 80% of my top set for 5 reps. Then I'd do some heavy kettlebell swings for time and ab wheel roll outs. That's it. That's a total of 4 work sets (Only 1 of them very heavy, btw) and then some conditioning and abs.

Just keep your training intensity super high and your training volume moderately low or you'll burn out too fast on a cut. Good luck to you.

Wow congrats on the weight loss and strength building. I do my sets basically the same as you. If my form was shoddy or I didn't get as many reps in at my max, I'll repeat a few sets, but for the most part I've seen growth focusing on the max sets being 2-3 reps each. I can't say I'm an expert by any means yet, and it's super helpful seeing what works long term. Thanks for the input!
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options

Very nice! Feel free to add me I update MFP daily, and check it constantly for my macros. Competing is scary for me because I have no idea what to expect, or where I will be at, but it's nice to hear about others who work hard and are successful. Good motivation!

Your first comp should be all about having fun and breaking the ice. And getting hooked on the adrenaline rush that comes with it. Being part of a team is the best thing ever - although we only really train together once a week, we talk frequently.

I started lifting back in junior high, and lifted off and on, mostly off until 3 1/2 years ago. I got started again when I got clearance after my youngest was born, and haven't looked back. My first comp was in May last year, and my last comp in January I went 117.5/62.5/165 for a 345 total at 81.9 bw. My squat is feeling awesome these days and I expect to get at least a 10kg improvement in max testing. Bench is just exploding - working with one of the best programmers in the world is really paying off. Deads are deads and I just need to get over a mental block I've developed