Question about water

Options
I have heard that you should drink half your weight in water each day. Is this true for someone who weighs 320 pounds? That would mean I would drink 160 ounces of water a day. I have no problem drinking upwards of 100 ounces of water a day, but 160 seems extreme.

I would really appreciate some advice.

Thanks!

Replies

• crazyjerseygirl
    crazyjerseygirl Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    No idea, but I started using plant nanny and I am MUCH happier with my water consumption. I don't have that dry feeling in my skin and I'm not parched.

Sorry I can't be more help!
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    This may be TMI for some...not sure.

I go by the color of my urine. If it is too dark, I drink more water. If it is a straw yellow I figure I am safe. I usually drink about 2.5L a day depending on my activity level. Hope that helps!
  • cstevenson86
    cstevenson86 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    When in doubt, just drink as much water as you can. I drink anywhere from 10 - 14 bottles of water per day. They are 16.9 fl oz bottles. I weigh 220. The more water you can consume, the better. I'm not sure what the "rule" is for how much you should be consuming. Like I said, I would just consume as much as you can. Water is so good for you and your weight loss journey. Good luck!
  • never2bstopped
    never2bstopped Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    I feel it is prudent to drink water if you feel hungry, because thirst is often mistaken for hunger, but beyond that, drink when you are thirsty, or after you have exerted yourself for a sustained period of time, or after a fast like when you first wake in the morning.

I don't feel it is something worth worrying about, unless you are to the extreme one way or the other.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Check out your pee next time you go (I know gross but oh well). If its like really yellow then maybe you should drink more, if it's getting closer to clear then you should be fine.

I don't think those "rules" are always right for everyone, so try not worry too much about them.
  • never2bstopped
    never2bstopped Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Check out your pee next time you go (I know gross but oh well). If its like really yellow then maybe you should drink more, if it's getting closer to clear then you should be fine.

I don't think those "rules" are always right for everyone, so try not worry too much about them.

Water soluble vitamins such as the B's will turn your urine darker of you have more than needed in your system.

Just as an example of a time the color of your urine would be a bad indicator.
  • jaliving
    jaliving Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I am just trying to drink a gallon of water each day. Feel like a water balloon most of the day. Slosh-slosh. :-)
  • KNArzoian
    KNArzoian Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!
  • dirtyflirty30
    dirtyflirty30 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    If you google "Hydration Calculator" you'll get some good tools/ideas. :)