Protein powder

Options
Hello wonderful people! So I have gotten much better about weighing my food and have been doing pretty good this last month! I have started exercising more as well which has been surprisingly fun! I am down 8lbs and am very happy with the pace I am going at. Not to slow and not to fast.

I have heard a lot of people on here talk about adding protein powder to their meals. Mostly breakfast. I find that I get hungry pretty quick after breakfast. I have been snacking on carrots and cheese to compensate. Would adding some protein powder help with that? I have been having some trouble hitting my protein mark so I was wondering if this was a good way to go about doing that? If so what kind should a beginner start on and suggestions of what to put it in would be wonderful!

Thank you!

Replies

• ashtonladkins
    ashtonladkins Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I love the MTS Whey Protein because it has high protein, less sugar, chocolate or vanilla flavored. I usually have mine for breakfast and will add a piece of fruit or something small. I've also used them post-workout (depending on what time of day I do my workout). I will mix with milk or water depending on my calories for the day. I also have made smoothies with bananas/spinach/ground flax seed.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Protein powders would help you achieve your protein goal. I would, also, look at what you are eating for breakfast and replacing it with foods high in fat and protein (I do either eggs, a P28 protein bagel with peanut butter, or I add protein powder to oatmeal). But if you want something quick, I like dymatize, EAS and muslce milk
  • Hippychick5983
    Hippychick5983 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I do try to add eggs in during the week when I can. And they do help a lot when I do. Some days though it is hard to get up lol. Also I commute so something quick or something I could make to drink on the go would be helpful. These are all great suggestions everyone! I am definitely going to look into these!
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I use protein powder in my smoothies in the spring/summer/fall to help me hit my protein goals...

Protein itself helps you feel fuller longer.

Based on your food diary yes you could use some extra protein for breakfast.
  • kjm3579
    kjm3579 Posts: 3,974 Member
    Options
    I mix Jarrow whey protein with almond milk after a lifting session and while I'm not sure it helps with hunger, it does help with muscle soreness and cramps. I am going to try it as a early morning addition to see if it will help with hunger as it seems that is one of the times I get snacking urges the most.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    If you need really quick and easy, add in protein bars too.
  • UprightMan
    UprightMan Posts: 13 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Come on, now. You know full-well there's a route you should take, but you're searching for the easy way. Get up earlier. Eat right. You know how hard it is to get out of bed? You hear the alarm and you get up because you know you have to get up.
    Look into material that will help you with your lack of discipline i.e. treat the cause instead of the symptoms. After that, there won't be any more "Just 3 more minutes", "I'll just rest my eyes a bit more" thoughts after you hear that morning beeping.
    While you're looking into that, you can boil enough eggs for 2-3 days in advance and prepare whatever else you can prepare before going to bed, to cut down on morning prep time.

P.S.
    How are you having trouble hitting your protein mark? Ingesting more protein than anything else is how cutting works. Your ratio should be somewhere in the 55/25/20 for protein, carbs, and fat respectively (along with strict caloric monitoring, of course). Or 50/30/20. (Also depending on what you do for exercise).

Eat right and you won't be hungry. OR you will be. So what? Stay hungry until your next meal. When you know you're getting enough of everything from your daily macros, why eat additional *kitten* just because "you're hungry"? Are you the goddamn decider or is your stomach?
  • psuLemon
    Options
    UprightMan wrote: »
    Come on, now. You know full-well there's a route you should take, but you're searching for the easy way. Get up earlier. Eat right. You know how hard it is to get out of bed? You hear the alarm and you get up because you know you have to get up.
    Look into material that will help you with your lack of discipline i.e. treat the cause instead of the symptoms. After that, there won't be any more "Just 3 more minutes", "I'll just rest my eyes a bit more" thoughts after you hear that morning beeping.
    While you're looking into that, you can boil enough eggs for 2-3 days in advance and prepare whatever else you can prepare before going to bed, to cut down on morning prep time.

P.S.
    How are you having trouble hitting your protein mark? Ingesting more protein than anything else is how cutting works. Your ratio should be somewhere in the 55/25/20 for protein, carbs, and fat respectively (along with strict caloric monitoring, of course). Or 50/30/20. (Also depending on what you do for exercise).

Eat right and you won't be hungry. OR you will be. So what? Stay hungry until your next meal. When you know you're getting enough of everything from your daily macros, why eat additional *kitten* just because "you're hungry"? Are you the goddamn decider or is your stomach?

Dude, are you angry or something? Not only does this come off as a little aggressive, but you are completely wrong on your macro as you don't have any context to her total intake or her work out routine.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options

P.S.

i-want-you-to-remove-that-stick-from-your-butt.png

And your macro numbers for cutting are wrong. They could be right of course for some, but saying that one way is the only way is flat out wrong.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »

P.S.

Dude, are you angry or something? Not only does this come off as a little aggressive, but you are completely wrong on your macro as you don't have any context to her total intake or her work out routine.

x2

wow I read that and was like WTH is wrong with you.

• Emilia777
    Emilia777 Posts: 978 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options

P.S.

I don’t think the OP was seeking help with getting up in the mornings…

Anyway, I don’t eat breakfast because it just makes me hungrier through the day, regardless of how much fibre/protein I chow down. However, I recently discovered a new favourite snack that could double as breakfast: plain greek yogurt with a scoop of vanilla whey protein powder, topped with all-bran original and Kashi go lean crunchy honey almond granola.

This comes to 100 cals / 18 protein from 175g yogurt, 120 cals / 24 protein from the powder, 136 cals / 6 protein from the cereal. The grand total is 355 calories, 48 grams of protein, and 11g of fibre, which is pretty darn solid. It’s also yummy :smile: . Obviously, you can use whichever cereal you like, just be sure to weight it. The cup measurements can be way off.
  • dawne000
    dawne000 Posts: 44 Member
    Options

P.S.

^^^^Wow! Roid-Rage much???
  • Hippychick5983
    Options
    I am just going to ignore the angry person............

And listen to all the other people giving good suggestions and advise.

@Emilia777 That sounds really good! I have a food scale and have been using it. Will def give it a try!

• psuLemon
    Options
    I don't know where you are from, but if you are in the US, those P28 bagels are fantastic. It's quick and has 28g of protein. Add peanut butter and you got 36g, which for the most part is 1/4 or 1/3 of their protein requirement.

Also, if you are too busy for breakfast or just am not a huge fan of it, there is no reason to eat it. You could add more meals or larger meals towards the end of the day.
  • Emilia777
    Emilia777 Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    I am just going to ignore the angry person............

And listen to all the other people giving good suggestions and advise.

@Emilia777 That sounds really good! I have a food scale and have been using it. Will def give it a try!

You have the right idea lol. Really hope you like it :smile: . @psulemon I tried those bagels and have to admit I can’t stand the taste :(. They are, however, pretty great macro-wise!
  • Hippychick5983
    Options
    I am from the US so next time I am at the store I will look for those.

I have a 2 hour commute in the morning. I am jumping between 3 trains in order to get to work so I have to leave pretty early in the morning. I know I need to plan better at night. That is something I am working on. I am just looking for ideas for things I can either eat / drink on the train or are easy to carry with me till I get to work. That is why I thought the protein powder would help. Easy to use and helps fill me up!

So far you have all (except for angry person) have been very helpful and given me lots of ideas to work with! Thank you!
  • shannonmaines
    shannonmaines Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I too don't really care for breakfast, nor do I have time to make it :)

I've been drinking a protein shake for breakfast with a piece of string cheese and a hard boiled egg and this keeps me full until I eat lunch (usually 4-5 hours). I have been drinking one after I workout as well and have noticed that I am full longer and the weight has been falling off.

I use the Shredz for Her Thermogenic Protein and got it at GNC...it's not terribly expensive either if you are a gold card member. I'm sure there are other great protein powders out there but I have found the Shredz powder to work for me.