What's a good balance for % of carbs fat and protein

Options
I don't know how to balance my macros. I'm 38, female and stay at home mom. I need to lose 20 pounds. What should I do ?

Replies

• powerpuffgirl66
    powerpuffgirl66 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I personally have found success with 40% carbs, 30% protein, 30% fat. I also found this website helpful: http://iifym.com/iifym-calculator/

It really depends on your goals and finding a balance where you feel satiated.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    It really depends on your goals.

I am not a fan of carbs and only need about 113grams of protein a day so I go for a 40c/35f/25p split
  • RobinSturgeon
    RobinSturgeon Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Thanxs ladies.
  • koronakona
    koronakona Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I thrive best on 40%protein/30% carbs/30% fat. I'm not a huge carb lover and get most of my carbs from fruits and veggies. My protein comes primarily from chicken, turkey, eggs and whey protein powder. Fats from avocado, coconut oil and omegs 3's. Good luck!
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I don't do ratios. I eat 125g of protein as a minimum or , 65g of fat as a minimum (easily go over, rarely go under), the rest carbs. If I meet these amounts then that's 24% protein, 29% fat, and 47% carbs.

When I reach my goal weight of 140-145, my goals will be:
    P = 115g (0.8x my weight in lbs)
    F = 55g minimum (likely will still keep it at 65g though as that seems to be a number I am happy with regardless of my weight)
    C = whatever else remains.
  • RobinSturgeon
    Options
    I can't seem to eat enough protein in my day. And way to many carbs. It's frustrating. I'm on 30% protein now and can barely come close to reaching it. I guess I need to start eating more eggs or something
  • dieselbyte
    dieselbyte Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    There is no specific ratio that will aid in weight loss. Calories in vs out for weight loss/gain. Recommended minimums for protein are .6g-.8g/lbs and fat .3g-.4g/lbs. Fill the rest in with carbs. Macro focus for body composition and athletic performance...
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    It depends, there is no magic ratio. Someone with a metabolic disorder is going to have a different optimal ratio than an otherwise healthy individual...a body builder is going to have a different optimal ratio than a marathon runner, etc.

That said, it is generally a good idea to increase protein intake during a diet or cut to aid in muscle preservation....0.8 - 1 gram per Lb of LBM is generally fine for this. All in all, don't get too hung up on your macros...they're good to be aware of and they can help you balance out your diet, but people get way too hung up on trying to hit their macros when, for the average Joe/Jane out there, being in the general neighborhood is going to be more than sufficient.
  • RobinSturgeon
    Options
    Thanxs cwolfman ... That's the best advice I guess. Just be balanced.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    Lolababy wrote: »
    I can't seem to eat enough protein in my day. And way to many carbs. It's frustrating. I'm on 30% protein now and can barely come close to reaching it. I guess I need to start eating more eggs or something

Eggs are basically 1:1 fat:protein. More poultry and lean fish, some lean meats will offer protein with minimal fat.
  • Arliah
    Arliah Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I try to stay around 40/30/30, and it has worked well for me. Helped me break through a plateau, too, a while ago.