What do you put in your coffee?

Options

Replies

• Libertysfate
    Libertysfate Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    Stevia. If I want to "jazz" it up I'll add a drop of sugar free flavoring.
  • hunnyhun921
    hunnyhun921 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    a splash of fat free French vanilla creamer. no sugar
  • MsJulesRenee
    MsJulesRenee Posts: 1,180 Member
    Options
    I use most unsweetened almond milk and a touch of those international delights you like ;)
  • JenMaselli
    JenMaselli Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Stevia and original CoffeeMate
  • CrabNebula
    CrabNebula Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    Unsweetened almond milk and Truvia.
  • overlook237
    overlook237 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    A packet of Splenda and 1 T. of Coffee-Mate's Italian Sweet Cream creamer. Makes it sweet enough for me to drink without a lot of that awful fake sugar aftertaste (and calorie-wise, it's better than how I used to take it: loads of sugar and probably like a 1/4 cup of the creamer).

Have you tried switching brands of coffee? Part of why I used to add a lot of sweetness was because the coffee itself was really bitter and didn't taste very good. Then I tried a new brand and found I didn't need as much sweetness. Oh, and I agree with the "dash of cinnamon" people - delicious!
  • cheryld12001
    cheryld12001 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I use non dairy creamer also.No sweetener.Never liked my coffee sweet, so it isn't a problem for me.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    I use Trader Joe's French Vanilla creamer. If you're looking for flavor, try adding a little cinnamon to the grounds before you brew them. IMO, it's much more tasty if you brew the coffee with the spice than if you add the spice after.
  • cstevenson86
    cstevenson86 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Black! But, I didn't get there right away....I have always had my coffee with a ton of creamer and two to three sugars. I loved my coffee sweet!

I started out slow. I worked down to one sugar...then removed sugar completely...then removed cream...then boom, down to black. You should really try it, if I can do it anyone can!
  • jenniferinfl
    jenniferinfl Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    akirkman86 wrote: »
    I have a serious addiction to International Delight creamers, but I am trying to get off the stuff because it's just not the kind of thing i want to put in my body. What do you put in your coffee? I generally like mine pretty sweet/light. I tried putting sugar and half and half, but the half and half tastes sour to me. I have also tried with milk and same thing. Any other ideas?

If you drink it black I'm sort of jealous.. I wish I could drink it like that, but I just love it sweet.

It probably tasted sour because you didn't spoon in enough sugar to equal the sugar in an International Delight creamer.. lol There's 5 grams of sugar per tbsp of international delight. Regular sugar is around 4 grams of sugar per tsp. So, figure out how many tbsp you were putting in your coffee. If you were using 4 tbsp, you'd need 5 tsp of sugar to replace the sugar that was in the International Delight French Vanilla as one example. I quit nondairy creamer over a decade ago, but I remember that initially it seemed like I was spooning in a LOT of sugar.

I was using whole milk or 2%, but, I use so much less half n half that the half n half worked out to fewer calories. So, now I use that and sugar. I used to use around 3 tbsp of international delight. So, 15 grams of sugar per cup of coffee. Now that I just use one tsp of sugar, I'm down to 4 grams of sugar per cup of coffee. It took me awhile to cut back on it as I did it gradually.

• tboyer832
    Options
    I also love those creamers. I bought the single servings that are non dairy and thy are 30 calories and I've decided I don't care. I only use one a day and I love it. Not going to punish myself for this one vice! :) just try to slowly cut back how much you use. It worked for me! I drink a black cup in the afternoon but it has to be paired with some sweet healthy snack after each sip!
  • noobletmcnugget
    noobletmcnugget Posts: 518 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    akirkman86 wrote: »
    I have a serious addiction to International Delight creamers, but I am trying to get off the stuff because it's just not the kind of thing i want to put in my body. What do you put in your coffee? I generally like mine pretty sweet/light. I tried putting sugar and half and half, but the half and half tastes sour to me. I have also tried with milk and same thing. Any other ideas?

If you drink it black I'm sort of jealous.. I wish I could drink it like that, but I just love it sweet.

I have mine with a bit of semi-skimmed milk and a sweetener. I get the impression (from talking to other people) that if you just force yourself to have it a certain way for a few weeks you adjust and like it that way. I know a lot of people who now only drink black coffee and can't stand it with milk or sugar or creamer.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    Two sugars and a tsp of hot chocolate mix.
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    I use the coffee mate italian cream liquid creamer, splenda and (if I'm at home) powder creamer. If I'm out and about, just splenda and cream/half and half. I like mine sweet also :)
  • wolfsbayne
    wolfsbayne Posts: 3,116 Member
    Options
    I tablespoon of liquid flavored creamer per cup
  • Theodoraaaaa
    Theodoraaaaa Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hello, I put 1 tsp of brown sugar & 1 tsp of English nescafe coffee... I used to put 3 tsp. of white sugar in there but now ive changed my habits for good! Plus I got used to it now, no need to put too much sugar anymore! :)
  • BicepsAndBows
    BicepsAndBows Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I put 2 Tbsp. Of unsweetened vanilla almond milk and a packet or two of Truvia (any brand of zero calorie all natural stevia sweetener is a good option)
  • stephobarr
    Options
    You can try flavored coffees (Folgers Vanilla Biscotti was good). No added calories or sugar. They are really good when you make a big pot and chill over night in the fridge! Tastes just like a sweetened iced coffee from a cafe!
  • SNOTMONKEY
    SNOTMONKEY Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Try getting fresh roasted beans or any decent prepackaged whole bean and grind them yourself. If you find a brew you like, you may realize that you can enjoy a cup without adding anything.
  • sclause
    sclause Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I go in fazes, sometimes I like black coffee sometimes not... I've been doing coffee protein shakes for breakfast, since I love coffee in the morning and HATE eating breakfast(eating in the morning makes me feel nauseated)
    First things first, I switched to organic coffee last year, yes it costs more than the folgers crap, but let me tell you, I feel dramatically different when I drink organic vs non organic coffee. Coffee is one of the most heavily sprayed crops, maybe I'm just sensitive to the pesticides? But before, it wouldn't be uncommon for me to throw up right after drinking my non organic stuff, but I'm an addict and couldnt give up my coffee. Moving on... I LOVE sugar and milk/creamer in coffee, but oh the calories..... I have switched to almond milk, which I really enjoy. Anyway about those shakes...I love both of these recipes, they keep me satisfied till lunch time.
    First recipe- 1 cup cooled coffee(I make it the night before), 1 cup vanilla almond milk, 2 bananas, 1 scoop vanilla protein powder(130 cal 20g protein), and a few ice cubes, and blend.
    Recipe 2, I LOVE THIS ONE SO MUCH its my healthy replacement for those awful pumpkin spice lattes at starbucks that I'm(or was) addicted to with the billion grams of sugar.
    1 cup cooled coffee, 1 cup vanilla almond milk, 1 scoop vanilla protein powder, 1/2 cup pureed pumpkin(NOT pumpkin pie mix!) a few shakes of cinnamon, a shake each of ground ginger and nutmeg, and a little pinch of clove if you like clove, and a few ice cubes. If you want it sweeter, add a banana. Blend!
    I also do this hot, add everything but the banana and ice, use hot coffee, and then microwave it after blending to heat it up(the pumpkin and almond milk cools it down too much)