Essential Oils! How have they helped you???

Options

Replies

• Birdy989
    Birdy989 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Charlie's Angel, I use Frankincense on my face with a carrier oil, too. OMG, it's heaven! My sunspots have lightened considerably, and my tone is no longer red and ruddy. For the first time in a long time, I have beautiful skin. Plus I'm in love with the way it smells! I also use them to replace every day cleaners and chemicals. Thanks!
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Birdy989 wrote: »
    People, you don't need to reply that it's a scam -- that's not what I was asking. I've had first hand experience with them helping me with depression, cluster headaches and really bad PMS. Plus, I have close friends who have seen them help kids with night terrors, ADD, and one gal who is recovering from PTSD thinks they're the biggest blessing that has ever dropped into her lap. If you don't like them, then you don't have to use them. They gave me my life back this winter when I usually spend my winters with Seasonal Affective Disorder, gaining 15 lbs and hibernating under a blanket. Instead, I've become a runner and ran several 5Ks on my treadmill and just ran 5 miles for the first time last week. Usually by this time every year, I'm smoking forbidden cigarettes and in tears because of the depression I feel from the weight I gained over the winter. I'm comfortable ingesting certain oils, and am even more comfortable with the MLM platform of this company. So please... if you have negative things to say, keep that to yourself. I wasn't asking what hasn't worked for you. I'm curious to know what HAS worked. Thanks!

You should not be ingesting the oils. Please go read the links I shared above. It's not just opinion, it could be causing harm.

Also, unfortunately you posted on a public forum and people can respond even if they only have something negative to say. You don't get to choose who responds.
  • Birdy989
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    I find it very concerning that you aren't diluting them before topical use and that you are ingesting them. Those are the first two things taught in naturopathy. No wonder so many legitimate essential oil shops hate this new crop of essential oil sellers, it's giving them a bad name through misuse of the oils.

ETA: Your water retention could very well stem from ingesting the oils. Switch to putting lemon, cucumber and peppermint in your water. Real foods, not the oils.

Honestly, I'll tell you truthfully. You know what was concerning? Really concerning? The incredibly awful symptoms I had from ingesting MSG and flavor inhancers. They really messed up my heart! I'd lay there awake at night feeling my heart race and think I was dying. Also, whenever I ate gluten, I'd get horrid stomach aches, and the worst brain fog ever. Same thing with sugar. Whenever I went on a sugar binge, I'd break out something fierce.

Oddly enough, the only thing I've experienced after applying straight essential oils and ingesting lemon and grapefruit oil is a super sense of well-being, uplifting joy, an incredible amount of energy, glowing skin and a clear-headed mind. I'm not sure what the side effects are of people who are angrily accusing us of not using oils the right way. No one that I know has ended up in the hospital from essential oils.

I appreciate your concern, tho. Thanks for posting...
  • Birdy989
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »
    I play around with EO's, mostly for the scent rather than any pharmaceutical effect (I make my own lotions and potions including hair care stuff and candles). On the other hand, I really love my foot soak made with epsom salts. I add peppermint and rosemary EO's which give me a lift and eliminate any foot odor. I buy my oils from a retail/wholesale seller to soap makers called Camden Grey. Prices are much better and the quality is very high compared to these MLM sellers.
    camdengrey.com/

Oh, yep! One of my all time favorite things is an epsom salt/baking soda bath with lavender and frankincense! It's sooo relaxing and wonderful for sore muscles. I just made some detangler for my hair, and a bed/mattress spray. =)

• PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    I can't believe the OP is ingesting the oils.

I oil cleanse my skin with a varying mix of oils, and use lavender oil to scent the mixture since two of the oils have a weird fragrance to me. I also mix my own cuticle oil and add the lavender oil to that for fragrance.

I buy these lavender sachet things for the dryer at TJ's and refresh them with the oil as well.

I've had more practical use for plain oils than essential oils, frankly.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    I play around with EO's, mostly for the scent rather than any pharmaceutical effect (I make my own lotions and potions including hair care stuff and candles). On the other hand, I really love my foot soak made with epsom salts. I add peppermint and rosemary EO's which give me a lift and eliminate any foot odor. I buy my oils from a retail/wholesale seller to soap makers called Camden Grey. Prices are much better and the quality is very high compared to these MLM sellers.
    camdengrey.com/

Oh, yep! One of my all time favorite things is an epsom salt/baking soda bath with lavender and frankincense! It's sooo relaxing and wonderful for sore muscles. I just made some detangler for my hair, and a bed/mattress spray. =)

How do you make your detangler? I do one that is mostly cyclomethicone with a little dimethicone and argan oil. I currently use a FO that is a knock-off of Chanel 19 (the same scent I use in my conditioner).

(You just reminded me that I need to make another batch of conditioner before heading to the pool tomorrow.)

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I can't believe the OP is ingesting the oils.

I oil cleanse my skin with a varying mix of oils, and use lavender oil to scent the mixture since two of the oils have a weird fragrance to me. I also mix my own cuticle oil and add the lavender oil to that for fragrance.

I buy these lavender sachet things for the dryer at TJ's and refresh them with the oil as well.

I've had more practical use for plain oils than essential oils, frankly.

The worst part is, all the MLM type companies that sell the oils SUGGEST internal use. That blows my mind.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    I find it very concerning that you aren't diluting them before topical use and that you are ingesting them. Those are the first two things taught in naturopathy. No wonder so many legitimate essential oil shops hate this new crop of essential oil sellers, it's giving them a bad name through misuse of the oils.

ETA: Your water retention could very well stem from ingesting the oils. Switch to putting lemon, cucumber and peppermint in your water. Real foods, not the oils.

Honestly, I'll tell you truthfully. You know what was concerning? Really concerning? The incredibly awful symptoms I had from ingesting MSG and flavor inhancers. They really messed up my heart! I'd lay there awake at night feeling my heart race and think I was dying. Also, whenever I ate gluten, I'd get horrid stomach aches, and the worst brain fog ever. Same thing with sugar. Whenever I went on a sugar binge, I'd break out something fierce.

Oddly enough, the only thing I've experienced after applying straight essential oils and ingesting lemon and grapefruit oil is a super sense of well-being, uplifting joy, an incredible amount of energy, glowing skin and a clear-headed mind. I'm not sure what the side effects are of people who are angrily accusing us of not using oils the right way. No one that I know has ended up in the hospital from essential oils.

I appreciate your concern, tho. Thanks for posting...

SEpCU.gif

I guess if the placebo effect works for you, then great. I'd at least be mindful of the dangers of ingesting them and the dangers of not diluting them before applying them topically.
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    So that's the new fad?
  • earlnabby
    Options
    So that's the new fad?

Yup. Be prepared to be invited to "presentations" at people's homes just like Tupperware, Mary Kay, candles, wall hangings, etc.

• Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Options
    Here is another alarming link on the doTERRA oils: http://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/doterra-multilevel-marketing-of-essential-oils/

From the article:
    Gary Young and his Essential Oils are still in business despite the devastating critique that has long been featured on Quackwatch. ... Among other things, he practiced medicine without a license, was arrested repeatedly, did bogus lab tests, and contributed to the death of his own child by performing an underwater delivery and holding the newborn infant underwater for an hour.
  • earlnabby
    Options
    Here is another alarming link on the doTERRA oils: http://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/doterra-multilevel-marketing-of-essential-oils/

From the article:
    Gary Young and his Essential Oils are still in business despite the devastating critique that has long been featured on Quackwatch. ... Among other things, he practiced medicine without a license, was arrested repeatedly, did bogus lab tests, and contributed to the death of his own child by performing an underwater delivery and holding the newborn infant underwater for an hour.

I don't necessarily have a problem with MLM as a sales model (I still enjoy the occasional Pampered Chef party) but it seems like when you combine it with "health" products the opportunity for abuse and quackery goes sky high because the sales people are just repeating the claims made by those higher up than them.

There are advantages to EO's. I do think that there is a place for aromatherapy and some have proven topical uses (like tea tree oil as an antiseptic), but all of these supposed health benefits are getting into snake oil territory.

• Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Options

From the article:

I don't necessarily have a problem with MLM as a sales model (I still enjoy the occasional Pampered Chef party) but it seems like when you combine it with "health" products the opportunity for abuse and quackery goes sky high because the sales people are just repeating the claims made by those higher up than them.

There are advantages to EO's. I do think that there is a place for aromatherapy and some have proven topical uses (like tea tree oil as an antiseptic), but all of these supposed health benefits are getting into snake oil territory.

I agree with you entirely. I do enjoy relaxing in a bath with a couple of drops of my lavender oil added, and I add some scents to my hair stuff that I make myself. I also love Pampered Chef! But the essential oil thing has gotten way out of hand. There are some women that I work with that have gone certifiably insane over this stuff.

I know one girl who puts thieves (?? not sure if that's right) oil on her husband's chest without his knowledge while he's sleeping because she's worried that he's having bad dreams. He has already said he doesn't want to use the stuff so she applies it to his chest without him knowing and without his consent to "keep the nightmares away."

It's maddening.
  • Birdy989
    Options
    camdengrey.com/

How do you make your detangler? I do one that is mostly cyclomethicone with a little dimethicone and argan oil. I currently use a FO that is a knock-off of Chanel 19 (the same scent I use in my conditioner).

(You just reminded me that I need to make another batch of conditioner before heading to the pool tomorrow.)

I used distilled water, marshmallow root tea, 10 drops of ylang ylang, 10 drops of frankincense and a few drops of liquid glycerine. I only add the frankincense because I'm not a huge fan of the scent of ylang ylang on its own, but it's got silky/emollient properties so it works great on hair. I just put it in a spray bottle, give it a good shake and spray. It's wonderful!
  • Birdy989
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I mean, like anything else in this world (including those who go around preaching about nutrition and doing crazy liquid fad diets or coffee enemas) there are always going to be quacks or those who take it to the extreme. But the two groups I belong to on Facebook discuss the awesome ways they help with cold symptoms, energy levels, mood swings, depression, snoring, etc.

I just talked about how I had a crazy plugged ear that has lasted almost a week. Some said it was allergies, others said it was a cold, and everyone suggested NyQuil, Claritin or a decongestant. One friend said I needed an antibiotic. (Seriously???) I had no other respiratory or sinus issues at all other than this plugged ear. I don't like OTCs and decongestants make me feel weird for days. But I was desperate, because it was giving me vertigo and messing up my runs. I tried an oil that the reference guide suggested, and within a day, it was gone. I literally woke up today and forgot all about it. I certainly believe it's a heck of a lot less worrysome than those who pop OTCs and antibiotics without a second thought. Anyway, whether it's all placebo or not, I'm eternally grateful. My life is a hundred times better now than before I discovered oils. I understand why some are leery of them, and leery of MLMs in general. But the whole experience has been great for me. Unfortunately (and oddly) none of the people I'm friends with who use oils are interested in weight loss with them. Which is why I thought I'd ask here. I've been using a pretty amazing massage lotion that contains EOs to help with cellulite, and that's been working fantastic! I can definitely see a difference in the skin and tone of my thighs. I wasn't necessarily looking for testimonies about ingesting...
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    Ok, I don't know if ingesting essential oils is safer than OTCs, so I won't comment on that.

I can tell you that I make my own deodorant and I use grapefruit oil, rose oil and tangerine oil in it! It's not toxic (no aluminum in it) and works as well if not better than the commercial stuff.
    I wish there was a Strawberry essential oil though. I've never found one.
  • earlnabby
    Options
    Ok, I don't know if ingesting essential oils is safer than OTCs, so I won't comment on that.

I can tell you that I make my own deodorant and I use grapefruit oil, rose oil and tangerine oil in it! It's not toxic (no aluminum in it) and works as well if not better than the commercial stuff.
    I wish there was a Strawberry essential oil though. I've never found one.

Strawberries do not contain any oil that can be pressed or distilled from them. I haven't even seen an all natural strawberry flavor oil, all of the ones in the candy making stores are artificial. I guess that the flavor/scent components are too volatile.

• MeiannaLee
    MeiannaLee Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I use them for witchcraft, but thats about it.
  • jjm9499
    jjm9499 Posts: 4
    Options
    I've got some doTerra products. I'm interested to know what you've been using for cellulite that you've seen progress with. DoTerra's weight loss blend contains grapefruit seed oil (among others) that I've heard might help topically with cellulite.
  • kel7298
    kel7298 Posts: 1,542 Member
    Options
    jjm9499 wrote: »
    I've got some doTerra products. I'm interested to know what you've been using for cellulite that you've seen progress with. DoTerra's weight loss blend contains grapefruit seed oil (among others) that I've heard might help topically with cellulite.

There are a few options using doTERRA oils to aid with cellulite problems:

1) Grapefruit oil and Metabolic Blend (Slim & Sassy) - Topically apply Grapefruit essential oil then layer with Metabolic Blend to locations with excess fat accumulations.

2) Helichrysum oil and Metabolic Blend - Topically apply Helichrysum essential oil then layer with Metabolic Blend to locations with cellulite and other fatty accumulations.

3) Add 1to 2 drops grapefruit, lemon, lime or wild orange to a glass of water to help rid the body of toxins