Exercise suggestions for hip pain

Options
Does anyone have specific exercise suggestions to help strengthen the outside of the hips (more specifically, the ball joint) ? I know during some videos I have seen in the past I have seen suggested exercises, but did not have the opportunity to retain the info. Also, I saw the information before it really began having an impact on me.

On my longer runs (say, over 5 miles) my hip joints get very sore whenever I jog or run. If I come down to a walk I'm fine. However, this defeats the purpose of actually training. I know some of it has to be my running 'structure', that is, that the longer I run I'm probably bobbing up and down more (and wasting energy) and putting excessive force on my hips. The only thing I can hope to do about that is to continue to train and increase my stamina. But as I said to begin with, I thought I'd seen a running video about strength exercises for runners, and specifically that addressed hips. Since I have begun to do some strength work on my non-running days, I thought this might be a good way to try to address this problem....

Thanks in advance-

Replies

• neaneacc
    neaneacc Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Have you tried laying on the floor and holding a bridge position for like 10 seconds at a time. After a while this will become easier and you can add time like you would with planking. Also stretching is very important. Try laying on the floor and bringing one leg at a time to your chest and holding for 10-15 seconds and then the other leg. Then do it with both legs together for about 15 sec. Also you can stretch you butt muscles by laying on your back with one ankle on the other knee and raise your straight leg until you feel the stretch. I know it sounds odd, but when one body part isn't working well the other parts pick up the slack. IE. your hips suck and your back and butt pay the price for the lack of work your hips do. This can lead to serious injury if not addressed. I hope this helps.
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    I also suffer from deteriorating hip joints. I get less pain from bicycling and walking than from running.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    Crescent kicks - I have kind of wonky hips and since I've been doing them I've noticed a lot of improvement in the flexibility and I don't often feel so tight. A good stretch also is the 'hip drop'. Fair warning, both were pretty uncomfortable for me when starting out.

http://www.uscg.mil/worklife/docs/pdf/basic_stretching.pdf At the bottom of this doc, the Hip Rotator & Low Back stretch. When you do it keep both shoulders pasted to the floor or the stretch will go more into your back.
  • Sarasari
    Sarasari Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I tore my Achilles' tendon and when I went to physical therapy they said most women who have ankle problems are actually a result of week hips. They had me do the bridges with no weight, with a weighed ball between my knees as I got stronger, squats,forward lunges, reverse lunges, side lunges, and dead bug crunches.