Healthy frappucino help

Options
auntstephie321
auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
I have been trying over and over to make a frappucino like Starbucks but with protein powder and less sugar. I brew a cup of coffee with my keurig then chill it and pour over ice in my single serve ninja cup, add half a scoop of protein powder and blend. But each time it's like half watery half icy slushy. It tastes great but the consistency is off. What am I doing wrong?

Replies

• aquamarina_182
    aquamarina_182 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    check this link out.
    appartently the secret ingredient is something called xanthan gum which stops the ingredients from seperating. I guess dont use all the ingredients in the initial recipe, alter it to your liking and comfort level...just get the xanthan gum.
  • aquamarina_182
    aquamarina_182 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    well clearly that didnt turn out well my computer keeps freezing. But copy and paste that site address and check it out :P
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    Lol I got it. I wonder if I need the milk too or something similar to make it creamy. I have xanthan gum, I'll have to try it tomorrow. Thank you for the link
  • azure7
    azure7 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I have a friend that freezes his milk into ice cubes first, which he then adds to his shake. He says it doesn't get as "watery" since the slushy part is milk. It might be worth a try :)
  • Jozzmenia
    Jozzmenia Posts: 252 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I use vanilla unsweetened almond milk when i make lattes.
  • lindaloo1213
    lindaloo1213 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Xanthan gum really helps. U dont need much. I use a bit less than 1/4 tsp for my sknny java chip recipe.
    1/2 c almond milk (30 cal)
    1/2 c double strength chilled coffee
    1 serving chocolate syrup (100 cal)
    1 serving chocolate chips (70 cal)
    1/4 tsp xanthan gum
    Ice
    I add the chocolate chips last. Too much xanthan gum makes it like pudding.

• jenlaura
    jenlaura Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I make frapps at work regularly and you do need to use milk, you could also be using too much ice