No booze?

Options

Replies

• lili61
    lili61 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I cut it out for all of February because it's the one thing I have trouble moderating. It was challenging at first but I got used to it. Just drank a lot of seltzer while out with friends and saved a lot of money (and calories!).

I did find that once I started back up again, my tolerance was wayyy lowered and I won't really drink more than two drinks now. For me, it was a win-win.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,556 Member
    Options
    Thinking of going booze free for a time. Anyone else thinking the same? Maybe a week? Maybe more?
    Personally I stopped drinking alcohol in my late 20's. Why? Because I figured out at that time that I didn't need to get smashed or even buzzed to have a good time.
    Alcohol is fine in moderation. The problem is lots of people get drunk to the point that they don't make cognizant decisions to stop drinking once they start.
    So really it's a personal decision. Is it helping your or hindering you?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• lockeshop
    Options
    I'm in. I have not had a drink since Feb. 23rd. My goal is to make it St. Patty's Day for green beer.:) When I found out that my your body immediately stops burning fat and kicks into detox mode when it sees alcohol coming down the pipe, it was easy for my to stay grounded. I love gin but, I'm not willing to put 115 calories PER oz!!! in my food diary for every drink I suck down...At least not now that I am working out all the time and working hard to stay on track. I'd be so mad at myself if drinking would erase all my hard work. Saturday will be hard for me. ...sooo crossing fingers. Till the 17th! Cheers:)
  • crittergirl222
    crittergirl222 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Pertaining to a lot of feedback-I didn't start this as a cry for help or to discuss the perils of overindulgence. I get it. I'm just working too hard to blow it on a couple of drinks on weekends. To those that are in, here's to no booze until at least St Patty's day (and to be honest I hardly ever go out to drink on that day-everyone gets too wasted!). Message me if you are in. :D
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    I cut it out for a time because I decided that I would rather eat my calories than drink them, and I do have a hard time controlling my decision making if I am a little tipsy. A couple of glasses of wine frequently led to mindless eating. I did this for over a year, allowing myself a drink at holiday dinners or special dinners out like my birthday, but none otherwise.

Recently I have added more exercise in and have a lot of extra calories to eat back. I have started adding one glass of wine or one beer with dinner on workout days and that seems to work well for me. I can do without, but it is a nice treat and I have not seen the mindless eating tendency.
  • Lizard4280
    Options
    I haven't had a drink since Christmas Day when I drank some wine. Not only is it empty calories, but I work with two groups of youth, so I want to set an example.

• mzjenn2u
    mzjenn2u Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I'm not really a big drinker BUT when I would drink I would drink a lot and it does have a lot of empty cals and carbs, even some fats and a ton of sugar for some. I stopped drinking for like 6-8mos and noticed a huge change in my body for the better. I stopped drinking about 4wks ago again and am also seeing less bloating in my stomach area which is a plus for me.
    my advice is to do what is best for you and your body, we are all different so you will have to play around and see what works best for you.....no matter what you decide good luck
  • crittergirl222
    Options
    mzjenn2u wrote: »
    I'm not really a big drinker BUT when I would drink I would drink a lot and it does have a lot of empty cals and carbs, even some fats and a ton of sugar for some. I stopped drinking for like 6-8mos and noticed a huge change in my body for the better. I stopped drinking about 4wks ago again and am also seeing less bloating in my stomach area which is a plus for me.
    my advice is to do what is best for you and your body, we are all different so you will have to play around and see what works best for you.....no matter what you decide good luck

Thank you! Great feedback.
  • hermann341
    hermann341 Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    I am currently trying for alcohol free for Lent, plus it helps to cut down on snacking if I do without.
  • serenity1097
    serenity1097 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I am a regular red wine drinker, always have been. I cut back substantially when I first started my weight loss journey, from a bottle of wine a night to 1-2 glasses a night. I'm now at the point where I can go without all week & allow myself a couple glasses on Friday night without regret. I don't think I will ever quit drinking completely so I just practice moderation & restraint for now (*)
  • fostersu
    fostersu Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I've had to cut way back on beer - I would otherwise have a couple a few times a week. I'm trying to drink less heavy beverages when I do drink and to do so on special occasions. You're right - its a LOT of calories so like with everything else - moderation is the goal.
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options
    Nah I like my beer, and wine, and spirits.
  • crittergirl222
    Options
    It is amazing how calorie rich they are! Even just nursing a drink over an hour, if you are there for a few hours it adds up so quickly. Yeesh! I am not much of a beer drinker, but I might have to switch to light beers. :(
  • freefallebby
    freefallebby Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Mmm beer. <3
  • DebraYvonne
    DebraYvonne Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    I am thinking of doing this because I am in a bad stall. hoping it will help move things in the downward direction!
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    i cut back on booze a lot, and it helped drop some weight. but it was only one brick in the wall that aided me. i also started eating more fruits and veggies, less carbs, post workout protein shakes, etc etc.

but if you have issues with stopping at 1-2 drinks, sure, go cold turkey for a while. i tend to only drink 2-3 times a week, and have only 1-2 drinks a day. now that i think about it, if that's cutting back for me, i was drinking a whole lot before...
  • freechewy
    freechewy Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I am skipping a few days a week of wine. I just want to cut back for my own reasons which includes too many calories.
  • upgradeddiddy
    upgradeddiddy Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I work in finance, come from a military family and my girlfriend's family is Irish/Italian so avoiding booze isn't even close to an option (back in my submission grappling/muay Thai days it was easier and was a better excuse to avoid it). The main thing is I try to eat high protein and low carbs so any carbs I eat later (bar food and booze) round out my calories (any day I go out MUST be a gym day or this typically won't work out to balance calories). Also take an extra multivitamin because booze will strip out my micronutrients as well.
  • Belle8312
    Belle8312 Posts: 2,151 Member
    Options
    Thinking of going booze free for a time. Anyone else thinking the same? Maybe a week? Maybe more?

I'm actually going alcohol free for the month of April. 6 days in!
  • Bugdude54
    Bugdude54 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I homebrew so this was really tough. I have such a surplus of beer right now I need to throw a party to get rid of it :