College student looking for cheap, healthy & non-skilled cook friendly dinners :)

Options
2»

Replies

• sunburntgalaxy
    sunburntgalaxy Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    Ok here is one of my favorites - you can adjust it based on your calorie needs. I use the grams when I weigh stuff but I can't remember the conversion on this off the top of my head and in the database it is listed as oz (most packaged foods will give you both)

2 oz pasta - I use Barilla Plus for the added protein
    1.5 oz fresh mozzarella (I use the smallest balls so no cutting but you can cut it up to smaller pieces - around the same size as the tomatoes)
    1 cup cherry or grape tomatoes, halved (or if they are really big quartered)
    1-2 garlic cloves, through a garlic press or finely chopped
    2-3 green onions, chopped (whites and greens)
    1/2 oz parmesan cheese - I grate it off the block but you can buy the pre-shredded (but not the green container - it has it's place but this isn't it)
    Salt - about a pinch

Cook the pasta as directed and while it is cooking, cut up the tomatoes and combine with the garlic and onions and then mix in the salt - salt will draw out some of the juices. Drain the pasta, add the pasta to the fresh tomatoes then add the fresh mozzarella and the parmesan. Toss all together and voila - pasta with mozzarella and fresh tomatoes. Simple, tasty and healthy.

• LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    As a law student, this is one of my favorite sites for cheap and easy recipes:
    http://www.budgetbytes.com/

As others have said, frozen boneless skinless chicken breasts are great because there's so much you can do with them and they're not heavy on the calories.

One of my all-time favorite cheap foods is lentils. I boil them, then cook some squash, zucchini, and onion in olive oil, and combine it all with a tablespoon of butter. It's low in calories, high in protein, and cheap as heck. Plus delicious.

Homemade salads are also easy, just gotta chop up whatever lettuce/veggies you want, and add in some extras like grilled chicken, sunflower seeds, etc. Olive oil and lemon juice makes a great homemade dressing, and there are also good low-cal yogurt based dressings you can find in the store.

Finally some of my favorite things to make are soups and stews. They're usually really cheap considering how much food you end up getting, and it freezes well for reheating. Plus, soup couldn't be easier - you just chop things and throw it all in a pot.
  • dklibert
    dklibert Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    Easy easy recipe. Very fast to prepare. You can keep whole ginger in the freezer and just grate what you need.

Inside Out Egg Roll
    soupspiceeverythingnice.blogspot.com/2013/12/inside-out-egg-roll-re-post.html
    Serves 3-4

Ingredients

1 Tbsp canola oil
    1/2 a roll of reduced fat pork or turkey breakfast sausage
    1 or 2 garlic cloves, grated
    1" piece of ginger, grated
    1 bag (16 oz.) Cole slaw mix
    Soy sauce (reduced sodium) to taste
    1/8 tsp. Chinese five-spice powder
    Salt, white pepper and red pepper flakes to taste

Optional garnishes:
    Green onions, sliced
    Toasted sesame seeds
    Fried Chinese noodles

Directions

Sauté sausage in oil until brown. Add garlic, ginger, and slaw mix; saute until it starts to reduce in size. Add soy sauce, five spice powder, salt and peppers to taste. Sauté a little longer and serve. Garnish with any or all garnishes from above.
  • dklibert
    dklibert Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    Another easy recipe. I double it.

Italian Sausage Soup
    Cooking Light, JULY 2004

Ingredients

8 ounces hot or sweet turkey Italian sausage
    2 cups fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
    1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes with basil, garlic, and oregano
    1/2 cup uncooked small shell pasta
    2 cups bagged baby spinach leaves
    2 tablespoons grated fresh Parmesan or Romano cheese
    2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil

Directions

Heat a large saucepan over medium heat. Remove casings from sausage. Add sausage to pan, and cook about 5 minutes or until browned, stirring to crumble. Drain; return to pan.

Add broth, tomatoes, and pasta to pan, and bring to a boil over high heat. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 10 minutes or until pasta is done. Remove from heat; stir in spinach until wilted. Sprinkle each serving with cheese and basil.

Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 1 1/3 cups soup, 1 1/2 teaspoons cheese, and 1 1/2 teaspoons basil)

Nutritional Information: Per Serving; Calories 216, Fat 7.1g, Fiber 1.6g.
  • kristydi
    kristydi Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Here are 3 of my favorite soup reipes. It's easy to make a pot of soup and eat from it all week.

Roasted Tomato Soup
    5 lbs tomatoes, cored and quartered
    6 cloves garlic, minced
    1/4 cup olive oil
    Salt and Pepper

Toss together and roast at @ 450 for 20 min or until very soft.
    1 cup diced onion
    2 TBSP olive oil
    Sauté in large pot till onion is soft
    2 cups water
    2tsp sugar
    1/2 tsp kosher salt
    1/4 red pepper flakes
    Roasted tomato mixture
    Add to pot with onions and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 10 min then purée.
    Finish with
    1/2 cup heavy cream
    1 TBSP pestopesto

Corn and Poblano Chowder
    Saute in 2 TBS unsalted Butter
    1 cup white onion
    1 TBS minced garlic
    Add
    2 lb (6 cups) corn kernels
    4 cups chicken broth
    2 tsp sugar
    Pruee
    Stir in
    2 poblanos roasted, peeled, seeded, and diced (how to roast peppers)
    1/2 cup heavy cream
    up to 1.5 tsp kosher salt
    1/2 cayenne

Black Bean Soup
    1 lb dry (or 4 15 oz cans) black beans
    4 cups chicken (or veggie) broth
    2 cups water
    1 bay leaf
    simmer till beans are tender (about an hour) if you use canned beans cut simmer time in half.
    puree half the beans and broth (remove and discard the bay leaf)
    in a skillet sautee in 2 TBSP olive oil
    1 cup diced onion
    2 TBSP minced garlic
    1 TBSP paprika
    11/2 tsp ground cumin
    11/2 tsp dried oregano
    1 tsp ground coriander
    1/2 tsp cayenne
    pinch each salt and sugar
    Deglaze with 1 TBSP red wine vinegar
    1 15 oz can diced tomatoes and juice.
    mash tomatoes slightly then add to pot with beans and broth and simmer 5 min.

Serve with pico de gallo. Also good with a few grilled shrimp thrown on top.
  • Michelletrk
    Michelletrk Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • misscaligreen
    misscaligreen Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    Flat Bread Pizza! It is fast, easy, delicious and the options are awesome!

qvft81ndqfil.jpg
    gzspxm13ze9v.jpg
    tvd06bfa3es0.jpg
    b5z0fj4iszql.jpg
  • kellyjellybellyjelly
    kellyjellybellyjelly Posts: 9,480 Member
    Options
    MLeigh18 wrote: »
    Get a crockpot, add 4-5 chicken breasts, water, and seasoning. Let it cook for 6-8 hours and now you have meat for the whole week and you can do lots of things with shredded chicken from salads to enchiladas.

I did that yesterday with chicken thighs in the oven. I'm going to use it for salads & sandwiches.