Accuracy of Calories Burned

Options
Does anyone know how accurate/inaccurate MFP is with calories burned for various cardio options?
(like walking 3.0mph, or 3.5mph, etc)

Also, is just general walking considered decent daily cardio? If for example, every day I was to walk into town, or to a nearby shopping center or something, and spend at least 1 hour walking around. Sometimes 2-4+ hours (depending on the day, and what I have to do - since I don't drive, or take the bus, I walk everywhere).
Or should I not count the calories burned while walking - that MFP gives me, and only count cardio calories if its jogging or something more intense than walking?

Replies

• Zyphun
    Zyphun Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Anything you do physically burns calories. So yes, logging your time spent walking will help you in making sure you are eating enough. That said I would be hesitant to count the calories you do burn very high. My FitnessPal says I burn a thousand calories for a two hour stroll. There is no way I am burning that many calories. I could also be wrong, but my own experiences have made me cautious with MFP when it comes to exercise.

Your millage will vary. Your body is the best indicator of what is working and what is not. If you are walking like you are and watching what you eat, if you get the results you want, then keep it up. If weight loss is your goal remember your diet means a lot more then exercise.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    MFP is not very accurate. It can possibly be 40% and up off.

Walking is great cardio especially if you are just starting out..

Any activity you do rather it is wash clothes, clean house or go to the mail box is considered an activity. However exercise or cardio in my mind is making an effort that raises your heart rate for a period of time.. but yes all of the above burns calories.

It is up to you rather you count the calories you burn (if you do not it is a bonus to your deficit).. MFP expects you to eat back the calories you list under Exercise, just make sure you do not allow over estimations to be added to your calories or you may over eat those exercise calories..

I hope this makes sense..
  • Spyer116
    Spyer116 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the input you two, and yeah I know that anything/everything I do burns calories.
    I don't input strength training from the gym, or any core training at home.
    But just the walking I do which could be 15-30+ miles / week. So was just curious how (in)accurate the mfp calorie counter would be for it.
    I don't eat back the calories I burn from walking, but for future reference whatever mfp says I burned, i'll subtract 40% from it or something. And on the days when i've been walking 3-4+ hours, I might eat an extra 100-200 calories I guess :)
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I've found MFP's estimates for running and walking to be pretty close to what my HRM says. It's the other stuff that's usually problematic because what I do for "aerobics" for an hour may not be what someone else does for "aerobics". In other words, the level of effort is an unknown so the calorie amounts can be really far off. Since the running and walking is listed in MPH, it's closer.