Does anyone else exercise for stress relief?

Options
13»

Replies

• yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    Yup I use exercise and sex to relief stress.
  • sunglasses_and_ocean_waves
    Options
    Oh heck yes!! It definitely got me through cancer testing & treatments! I'd have been a mess without it.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Yup, known stress reliever. I find my Yoga and Tai Chi exercises to be calming; as good as a massage. Have you tried mindfulness and breathing exercises?

What's with the attempt to find the best or the optimum exercise? As if this is some sort of race or something? I see this with all of the quick-fix diet plans too. As if we're in a big hurry to get back to...what?
  • lili61
    lili61 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Yes--exercise was/kind of is an immense stress reliever for me. I say "was" because I honestly don't feel very stressed much anymore, since I began exercising regularly almost 2 years ago. I typically go about 4 times a week but go anywhere from 3-5 times per week. The most I get is pretty grumpy about missing my workout.
  • csuhar
    csuhar Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    I find exercise is a good leveler for me. In particular, weight-based workouts (bodyweight or normal lifting) tend to help pick me up if I'm depressed or calm me down if I'm agitated. The numbers involved in counting sets, reps, and weight lifted give me something to focus my mind on in addition to the benefits that come from the physical exertion.

Cardio doesn't seem to be as reliable because it's easy to let those depressing / agitating thoughts linger in my head.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    I've had clinical depression/anxiety since I was a kid and exercising is something that immediately relieves the tension that builds up and improves my mood/outlook.
  • LovelyIvy466
    LovelyIvy466 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    The hard part about exercising when depressed is that when you are depressed it is so hard to make yourself be active and do things that you enjoy. It's why it is so important for me to make exercise a habit. If it's something that is a normal part of my day it's a lot easier to make myself do it.
  • Shawnrivas
    Shawnrivas Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Lifting weights or just moving helps a great deal. Get pumped it helps beat the blues.
  • shezza4mobee
    shezza4mobee Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    yes, totally. I love the high it gives me afterwards and the pride of accomplishment! My kids even commented on how exercising has made me happier and now I don't go off so easily. So if that's not proof lol
    Oh and after seeing my ex, the kickboxing moves in Zumba come in real handy!! lol
  • shezza4mobee
    shezza4mobee Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    jazmin220 wrote: »
    Yes. I used to hate going to the gym but now I look forward to it. I would wake up everyday, go to work, and spend the whole day anticipating going to the gym. I'd get to the gym, work out for an hour to an hour and a half and afterwards feel so happy and content. I decided I didn't want to wait all day to feel like that so I've been waking up at 5:45am to go to spin class on top of going after work ! Wonder how long this will last lol

I used to be the same way, drag my feet, but the feeling when you leave that class/work out. It's awesome! I've been working out a few days a week at 5.30 am and find those days to be the best eating days too!
  • JeffS435
    JeffS435 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    exercising at the gym or sex are both great stress relievers.
  • quietasariot
    quietasariot Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    YES. Major stress relief for me. It's my alone time and I thoroughly enjoy it.
  • Babygi6003
    Babygi6003 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I definitely do! When I am upset or stressed, I go do extra cardio
  • bodiva88
    bodiva88 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I find swimming the best for stress relief. The stress seems to wash right away as I go. And it makes my whole body tired and relaxed, so good sleeping afterward, too.
  • melodyis4reals
    melodyis4reals Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Take a long walk.
  • 2014saram
    Options
    Definitely. All types of exercise will relieve stress. I usually try to increase my cardio during stressful times. Walking on a regular basis will do wonders if your stress is heavy and long term.
  • njitaliana
    njitaliana Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I love how exercise takes me to a different place. I focus on counting my reps and forget about everything else. Walking is great, too. Being outdoors, looking at trees and flowers, breathing deeply. It is exhilarating and relaxing at the same time.
    On