Does this sound right?

Options
paulalizzie
paulalizzie Posts: 17 Member
Hi everyone
I'm new here and am a serial yoyo dieter! The only thing that's ever worked for me is eat less/move more, so here I am, starting over!

I've worked out that my BMR is 1900 (based on 5ft1 and 191 lbs and light exercise 3 times a week). Going to set myself a 1200 cal daily limit with a brisk walk (about 1.5 miles) every day.

Does this sound reasonable? I don't want to restrict myself too much, as I nearly always give up when I do that. The only additional thing is that I always enjoy a few drinks on Fridays so for that day only, upping my cals to 1500, to allow for 2 glasses of wine.

So, to recap, to maintain, I need 1900 per day (13,300 per week) and I'm going to chop that to 1200 per day, with a walk on top, with 1500 on Fridays.

Just checking I'm not depriving myself or under-eating?

Replies

• 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Nope, that is not right.

BMR- basal metabolic rate - the amount of calories you use daily staying alive (basically if you were in a coma this is what the doctors would feed you through an IV)
    TDEE - total daily energy expenditure - the amount of calories you actually use every day because everyone moves around at least a little bit (this is the number you would need to maintain your current weight)

Are you trying to use the TDEE calorie calculating method or MFP (NEAT). With the MFP method you do not include intentional exercise in your activity level. There is a cardio section in your diary where you log it and earn extra calories to consume.

As for the 1200 calories a day, some people find that hard to stick to and some do not. Honestly you will just have to decide that for yourself. If you find it too restrictive then it's worth upping your calories and losing a bit slower if it means you will stick to your plan for the long haul.

• Vicalina19
    Vicalina19 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Wishing you much success.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    That sounds like it's your TDEE rather than your BMR (I'm seven years younger, five inches taller, and about the same weight...my BMR is around 1630 and TDEE is 2300+).

Try it out for 3-4 weeks and make sure you consistently hit 1200. If you don't feel hungry, then keep at it; if you do, raise your calories by a bit until you reach a point that you're satisfied.
  • JuliaHaleFitness
    JuliaHaleFitness Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I agree with what's written above! After you figure out your TDEE, I would suggest logging your normal food consumption for a couple of days first. That way you know where you are starting. Slowly start to reduce calories to get to where you want to be--that way you won't shock your system. You don't want to go too low because you will end up leaving your body so hungry that you won't make the choices you know you should make at meal time! Also, this will let your body adapt to the calorie intake so it doesn't think it is starving and start storing nutrients for "future use"!
    MFP is a great tool to use to stay on a steady diet! Good luck!
  • RavenLibra
    RavenLibra Posts: 1,737 Member
    Options
    don't think about "dieting" as a weight loss method...think dieting as a healthier way to fuel your life... reduce your caloric intake, and manage your portions.. pay attention to your macros, and try to keep those balanced. YOU said yourself that you are a yo-yo dieter... one thing I have learned from being here on MFP is that there are real and long term physical consequences to "depravation". In any case use the MFP tools here... and develop some confidence...before you know it... YOU will be who you hope to be.
  • 2014saram
    Options
    I am not an expert, but I have recently made the transition from roughly a 2200 calorie diet to 1200 calories a day. Like others will tell you, exercise will earn you more calories. But, if you are making the calorie change without exercise, you will have to feel full to stick with it. Will tell you how I have been losing weight lately, and am sure I am breaking all kinds of diet rules. This is how I started the 1200--I had almost the same breakfast every morning--1/2 c. Egg beaters, 1/2 cup mushrooms, 1/3 bag fresh spinach, 2 slices Swiss cheese--cooked in a pan with nonstick spray. Enjoyed with coffee and a tall glass of water. Sometimes I add a cup of V8. I feel full. For lunch, I alternate days-- one day, 3 cups of favorite salad blend (arugula, spring mix, romaine...whatever) with four slices deli turkey, rolled and cut into strips, veggies like cucumber, roma tomatoes, radishes, etc if on hand. I toss this with a Tablespoon of Girard's light champagne dressing (does not taste light--so delish) or with a splash of balsamic and a teaspoon of olive oil. On other days, I have a turkey sandwich, whole wheat, four slices of turkey, slice of Swiss, tiny bit of mayo, a little mustard, tomato, lettuce. For dinner, I just watch portions--veggies, protein, a small slice of bread with a teaspoon of olive oil for dipping if I didn't eat a sandwich earlier and water. I have a snack or two every day as needed--I listen to my body. My snack is usually a Chobani Greek yogurt (coconut is always my choice), a half sandwich or some mozzarella cheese. I also let myself sneak a bite or two of something every single day and I don't list it. I will have a bite or two of chocolate cake if really want to. I will eat a small serving of something a little off the charts if it is really something I want. I just opt for salad or a clear broth soup later. Balance. Also, I haven't given up my small daily mocha. It is a luxury. It is better to listen to your body than to push it into starvation mode. If I need to break the 1200 calories to feel healthy, I really don't worry about adding an additional one or two hundred calories. I have no interest in going on a severely restricted diet (ex. no carbs...only meat, etc. that stuff is unhealthy)--I want to lose weight in a healthful, strong way. A couple of months ago, I was a size 10/12. I am wearing 6/8 now, and I don't wear tight clothes.
  • 2snakeswoman
    2snakeswoman Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    You don't have to start out with a calorie count that low to lose weight. Another way to look at this is to calculate maintenance calories at your goal weight (the fat2fit website has good calculators). Cut to that calorie count first.
  • teresawilson61
    teresawilson61 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hello I am new here. It seems like I always worried about my weight most of my life. I am going to do 3 meals a day, and 1 snack. I will trying to only eat 12,000 a day, and if the weather is permitting walk everyday.
  • paulalizzie
    paulalizzie Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys...I may have mixed up BMR and TDEE (brain probably got muddled on it all!). But I will look at the fat to fit calculator again and see what it tells me! Thank you so much. :)