How to break a plateu

Options
2»

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    That video is really helpful. Concise, simple and straight to the point! No rambling for 20 minutes before getting to the point... :yawn:

@vismal is the man.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    That video is really helpful. Concise, simple and straight to the point! No rambling for 20 minutes before getting to the point... :yawn:

@vismal is the man.

That he is :+1::smokin:
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    3 years straight?

I can appreciate the whole metabolic adaptation theory in this situation but we have to sort of look at the real trends because something is clearly off with the numbers. If the OP was over 260 lbs and she was eating 1200 calories that whole time then weight would have been flying off. Instead we are looking at 100 lbs over 3 years. That's about 2.77 lbs per month. So if we breakdown what TDEE should be and the fact that she has lost weight and is not saying anything about a metabolic disorder then how big of a deficit would she have had to average to lose .6 lbs per week, a lot more than 1200 imo.

Maths. Nice.
  • Babygi6003
    Babygi6003 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Backstory: I had weight loss surgery 3 years ago and I have been eating around 1200 calories since then so yeah, even at 260 when I started out, I was eating 1200-1400 max
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    In light of what MrM said, which is a good point...

Do you have any other underlying conditions?
  • Allgoingtomakeit
    Options
    24 hour fasting once a week. Simple. Sorted.
  • marissafit06
    marissafit06 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    It looks like you eat a lot of premade food like McDonalds and Mexican food. Do you weigh those before eating them? If not, you could be eating more than you think.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,624 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    3 years straight?

I can appreciate the whole metabolic adaptation theory in this situation but we have to sort of look at the real trends because something is clearly off with the numbers. If the OP was over 260 lbs and she was eating 1200 calories that whole time then weight would have been flying off. Instead we are looking at 100 lbs over 3 years. That's about 2.77 lbs per month. So if we breakdown what TDEE should be and the fact that she has lost weight and is not saying anything about a metabolic disorder then how big of a deficit would she have had to average to lose .6 lbs per week, a lot more than 1200 imo.

I do want to add that I do know that video from Visual well and it is good. I've had many conversations with him, he's very smart and I consider him a friend. I just think that in this case what we are being presented on the surface might not be the automatic answer.

Poor logging is, I'm sure, part of the issue in that she is eating more than she realizes. So if she was actually eating like... idk, 1600 calories every day with a maintenance of 2600 calories, if she continued to eat mostly 1600 calories every day as she lost weight her maintenance needs would have lowered. She also mentioned "cheating" at times, no quantification of what that means (eating different food? Eating above or at maintenance? Binging significantly above maintenance?). So if her maintenance dropped enough then... idk.

Even if there isn't anything going on outside of poor logging, I'd say that a dieting break is warranted. Especially at a pretty healthy weight. This would be a good time to also practice more accurate logging in order to properly determine the true maintenance needs (while reverse dieting up to the estimated number to minimize sudden water weight gains) so that she can then reset her deficit to a more reasonable 0.5 or 1lb/week.