Late Period (Sorry Guys!)

Options
Hi guys!
Okay, so, off the bat, I would like to say that yes: I have taken two pregnancy tests, and they were both negative. I took them a day apart (one on the day my period should have been and the day afterward). Now, I have been having cramping all day and have had clear, watery barely there discharge.
Now, I have begun exercising this month (which was a total 180 for me because I had been sedentary for so long) and have had quite the stressful month. Usually my periods are 27 days apart, but today it would have been the 29th day and NADA.
So, could stress be affecting my cycle because I know two negative pregnancy tests and no other symptoms of pregnancy. All I have had was my typically emotions before my period and some serious cramping today.
Anyone want to weigh in before I stress myself out too badly and have to head to the dreaded lady doctor?

Replies

• maxit
    maxit Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    I'll weigh in :) Yes, stress can affect your cycle. I peeked at your diary - I think maybe it would help your body to feed it with a bit more intention - eat more protein and fat; take a multi with iron; up the dairy or some other food that is a good source of calcium. Beginning to exercise is awesome and you need to be fueled for that, too. Good luck!
  • KatieLK14
    KatieLK14 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    This happens to me every so often. Whenever I up my exercise or even slightly change what I'm eating, it can be up to four days late. Try not to stress too much. And I agree with the poster above, fuel up more, and make sure your body isnt getting burned out! Good luck
  • jenncornelsen
    jenncornelsen Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    Give it acouple more days. Mines usually bang on but now and then...
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    I envy you and your regularity :(

Serious note -

I don't have an exact number of days in between, but I have DEFINITELY noticed that changing your habits can throw a wrench into the works.

If I'm stressed out, I can EASILY be a week late. I'll get the odd cramping here and there, maybe, and eventually the fun will begin, lol.

My advice - wait till you're 5-7 days late. If still nothing, a trip to the doctor would be worth considering.

Also - if this happens again next month, talk to your doctor just to make sure everything is OK.

~Lyssa
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Give it a week.

I had a mini panic when i switched birth controls to a much lower dose and it came a week after it was supposed to. It was totally normal. Freaked myself out for no reason.

are you on the pill or taking anything to regulate your hormones?
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Yeah. Mine was late this month. I had not been losing weight and I dropped 3 pounds or so suddenly. A few days before my period was supposed to start I noticed I was JUST starting to ovulate. Since I'm always 98% sure when I'm ovulating (I can feel it), I kind of figured my period would be late. It's definitely effected by stress and possibly exercise/fat loss.
  • kcrkcs
    kcrkcs Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Periods are regular until they aren't. You can either continue to test if you think pregnancy is a realistic possibility or wait It out. If you go 60 days without a period it's time to speak with your doctor.
  • Stewie622
    Stewie622 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice everyone! I have taken a look back at my previous periods- some have been regular 28, but some have been up to 32 days. However, I am not on a hormonal birth control and do have an ovarian cyst that could be disrupting my period schedule. I have had some cramping today and some serious mood swings but that is the typical before period symptoms.
    But, I have been very stressed lately due to increased hours at work and have been adding exercise into my sedentary lifestyle as a receptionist/vet assistant ;) So, I will give it a few more days, test again, and then consider going to the doctor.
    I usually keep an eye on when I ovulate- is it possible that I could have no ovulated this month and it was thrown out of wack?
  • arditarose
    Options
    Stewie622 wrote: »
    Thanks for the advice everyone! I have taken a look back at my previous periods- some have been regular 28, but some have been up to 32 days. However, I am not on a hormonal birth control and do have an ovarian cyst that could be disrupting my period schedule. I have had some cramping today and some serious mood swings but that is the typical before period symptoms.
    But, I have been very stressed lately due to increased hours at work and have been adding exercise into my sedentary lifestyle as a receptionist/vet assistant ;) So, I will give it a few more days, test again, and then consider going to the doctor.
    I usually keep an eye on when I ovulate- is it possible that I could have no ovulated this month and it was thrown out of wack?

Did you not notice ovulation this month? You said you are cramping now and have some fluid...perhaps you are ovulating now, late? Regardless, try to relax. Adding extra stress isn't going to make it come. One time I kept stressing and stressing and I think it made it worse. I went to yoga and BAM. Period.
  • Stewie622
    Options
    Hmmm perhaps I will add some yoga to my morning routine tomorrow A.M. And perhaps. There has been lots of cramping and back pain today, but I do have IBS- so my stress may be causing the cramps ;) My BF tells me that I am causing it to delay by stressing about it, but I feel obligated to worry about it. Because, well, the alternative is rather daunting.
  • arditarose
    Options
    Hmmm perhaps I will add some yoga to my morning routine tomorrow A.M. And perhaps. There has been lots of cramping and back pain today, but I do have IBS- so my stress may be causing the cramps ;) My BF tells me that I am causing it to delay by stressing about it, but I feel obligated to worry about it. Because, well, the alternative is rather daunting.

I know. But trust me. I have literally given myself a panic attack in the laundromat over this. It's not worth it. Relax. Take a bubble bath. You already took a pregnancy test. You're good.
  • Stewie622
    Options
    Thank you! I have been stressing over it for two days now- even though they came back negative, I still have that little minion in my brain whispering about false negatives. I just need to relax AND let it come. I am sure it'll suck even worse this month because I have stressed so badly about it.
  • arditarose
    Options
    Thank you! I have been stressing over it for two days now- even though they came back negative, I still have that little minion in my brain whispering about false negatives. I just need to relax AND let it come. I am sure it'll suck even worse this month because I have stressed so badly about it.

Ya never know! Mine was late and I was stressed, and it ended up being one of my most mild periods ever (though I think being lower in weight now is helping). Good luck! Feel better.
  • Stewie622
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »

Ya never know! Mine was late and I was stressed, and it ended up being one of my most mild periods ever (though I think being lower in weight now is helping). Good luck! Feel better.

• skbrodie
    skbrodie Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Is this normal even on birth control??? Mine was a bit late last month right after I began exercising/ eating better and I have a feeling this month will be the same. I have been sedentary for a VERY long time and began exercising about a week before my last period was supposed to start and it was a few days late.
  • neaneacc
    neaneacc Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Try not to stress! Stress triggers all sorts of hormones to be released which may be delaying your period. The OTC pregnancy test are accurate if you follow the directions (ie. you can't really test before you miss your period for accurate results). Therefore, most likely you are not pregnant. Another odd but interesting question is if you have taken antibiotics or allergy pills since your last cycle? If the answer is yes then that may be your culprit. I am not sure why but both of these things have caused me to have irregular cycles in the past, and when I asked my gyno she stated that I wasn't the first patient to mention this problem. In short, it seems like medical science still hasn't fully mapped out all the details of the female body. You may think I'm kidding, but only in the last like 10 yrs have they discovered that women experience heart attacks different from men. It is kinda scary the amount of stuff they still don't know about our bodies. However, I agree with the suggestions to make sure you get calcium as it has been proven to help lessen cramping so try to make it part of your normal routine.
  • krissyreminisce
    krissyreminisce Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Mine is late this month, though I'm concerned because last month it came on time. But I only spotted for three days before it was over. And now I'm about 4 days late. :confused:

I'm hoping it'll show back up, or else I'm going to have to gain a few pounds back. :(
  • kcrkcs
    kcrkcs Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Length of cycle varies and it can vary at anytime. The myth of a 28 day cycle and ovulating day14 is that, purely a myth for most women. If you aren't taking your basal body temp, then there is no way to absolutely confirm that you ovulated or when. Anovulatory cycles are not necessarily a sign anything is wrong, and you would still have your a regular period. Probably you ovulated late and you will be enjoying your regular period shortly. But again test it out or wait it out. I wouldn't waste your money at the doctor unless you hit 60 days with no period.