Coca Cola Zero? Diet Carbonated Drinks? Are they really 0 calories?

Options
Just a question that rose while I was bored...
Anyway, whenever I want something sweet...
But does anyone know if they are really 0 calories?
I haven't seen any setbacks from drinking too much of them...
but just curious on what makes them so sweet..?

Replies

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Yes, they are 0 calories. Artificial sweeteners make them sweet.
  • annette_15
    annette_15 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    Technically they can be labeled 0 calories if its less than 5.. so I suppose it could b 4 lol
  • hhnkhl
    hhnkhl Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »

that's probably explains why I consume a ton of those in one day...but don't see any disasters afterwards....
    thanks for the answer!
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    annette_15 wrote: »
    Technically they can be labeled 0 calories if its less than 5.. so I suppose it could b 4 lol

^ This.

What I find interesting:
    20 oz Diet MTN Dew - 10 calories
    12 oz Diet MTN Dew - 0 calories

If the 20 oz is really 10 calories, wouldn't that mean the 12 oz is 6 calories? I mean it's possible the 20 oz is actually less than 10 calories and they just rounded up to make the number look nice. Ah well, it doesn't really matter to me. It's not enough to really worry about.

edit: 16 oz is listed as 5 calories. There is definitely some weird math going on 0.o However, if the 16 oz is correct, that makes the 12 oz can like 3.75 calories and explains why it is labeled 0. It would make the 20 oz bottle slightly over 6 calories (which I guess could have been rounded up to look nice). I dunno. I have just confused myself.
  • beachlandia
    beachlandia Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I guess they're allowed to put "0 calories" on the label if it's less than five calories but I wouldn't really worry about it because there's no way you're drinking enough of them to make you gain weight. I drink a lot of artificially sweetened beverages and I haven't had any issues.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Look at the ingredients and decide which have any calories.
  • crazyjerseygirl
    crazyjerseygirl Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    Like many have said, some 0kcal items have calories, but they are negligible. Don't drink 100.

Also, if I might suggest, flavored seltzer FTW
  • stefchrysler
    stefchrysler Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Any carbonated drinks make your stomach expand. Which is why they say people gain the weight from diet drinks(and all Pop). I drink an insane amount of diet coke and it's definitely not my problem as soon as I ate better and exercised it came off. And I gave it up for a while and didn't lose any faster.
  • BicepsAndBows
    BicepsAndBows Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    They are 0-10 calories at most, but the artificial sweeteners in them are really not great for you. Like anything else, try are find in moderation, just don't over do it.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    They are 0-10 calories at most, but the artificial sweeteners in them are really not great for you. Like anything else, try are find in moderation, just don't over do it.

What is wrong with artificial sweeteners? Or are you just regurgitating something you heard on Dr. Oz or saw on Facebook?
  • Charliegottheruns
    Charliegottheruns Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    magerum wrote: »

What is wrong with artificial sweeteners? Or are you just regurgitating something you heard on Dr. Oz or saw on Facebook?

Artificial sweeteners are many times sweeter than nutritive sweeteners, therefore less is used to sweeten foods. Since minimal amounts are used, their energy contribution is minimal.
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »

Coke zero is 8 KJ/600ml, so less than 2 calories so not zero but damn close.

But doesn't it say in the nutritional panel on the bottle?

But really if you can drink 6litres of something and be less than 20 cal, I would call that zero/not worth recording.

Like extra chewing gum. If you ate enough for it to be worth recording you would likely regret it. Excessive consumption may have a laxative effect... :D