Sugar

So this is my first day using.. I'm not done for the day yet, I have 360 calories left but guess what I have -12 grams of sugar left, Odd I'm gonna have to figure out how to have less sugar i guess!!

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    It doesn't really matter so much.
  • BrittaniDirks
    BrittaniDirks Posts: 113 Member
    thanks
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    The number you see for sugar is supposed to be the recommended maximum for added sugars (I think?). MFP can't track just added sugar, though, so you'll see fruit from sugar and any other food in there.

It's only cause for concern if you have a medical issue or if you personally try to limit it. I try to limit my sugar to desserts, rather than, say, a chocolatey cereal. For the most part, anyway ;)

~Lyssa
  • BrittaniDirks
    Thanks Yeah at the moment I prob drink too many calories and thats alot of sugar too. Gonna learn as I go and hopefully improve. I dont think I can give up coffee drink though lol
  • macgurlnet
    Thanks Yeah at the moment I prob drink too many calories and thats alot of sugar too. Gonna learn as I go and hopefully improve. I dont think I can give up coffee drink though lol

You don't necessarily have to give stuff up! You have to find the balance between eating foods that keep you full and the other stuff :)

I still drink a cup or two of coffee most mornings with a TBSP of Coffeemate in each cup. Today I splurged and got a venti caramel macchiato AND the spinach & egg white wrap. Plus I had some treats after dinner - and I stayed within my calorie goal since I made sure I walked my 10,000 steps.

There's nothing wrong with drinking sugary stuff/drinking your calories, but, if you're hungry, you might want to swap a drink for a snack instead :)

~Lyssa
  • janer4jc
    janer4jc Posts: 238 Member
    Welcome!
    This is your first day...it will be interesting to see if you're over that much every single day or if today was 'special'. If you're over in sugar day after day you might want to consider alternatives to your coffee drink(s).
  • I drink my coffee with a hint of fat free milk....you can drink yourself silly with that! It only counts 5 calories in general...go at it.
    I always keep an eye out for my sugar max and sodium max for the day. I think I get into a blockage when I overdo it with these two components. I try to run every day and it bumps up my sugar a little bit. I do not eat candy or anything like that so that way I can keep my sugar craving for maybe a fat free sweet yoghurt or maybe a small bowl of my fav cereal. I wish you the best!!! ;)
  • BrittaniDirks
    thanks for the replies. Yep just gonna have to learn as I go and learn to pick and choose. I just found out butter has a crap ton of calories too. I usually drowned my veggies in butter, guess I wont be doing that anymore lol or I'l have to choose it over something else. I am really glad to be using fitness pal, I think it is gonna be something I can stick to but still enjoy food, and life, and hopefully get healthier.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    macgurlnet wrote: »
    The number you see for sugar is supposed to be the recommended maximum for added sugars (I think?). MFP can't track just added sugar, though, so you'll see fruit from sugar and any other food in there.

It's only cause for concern if you have a medical issue or if you personally try to limit it. I try to limit my sugar to desserts, rather than, say, a chocolatey cereal. For the most part, anyway ;)

~Lyssa

This used to be true but I think they changed it. Or at least, one day my sugar limit was 3 times what it had been.

But I would definitely agree that one shouldn't worry assuming one is eating a balanced, nutrient dense diet and has no health issues.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    it does not matter unless you have a medical condition; or unless you sugar consumption puts you in a surplus...
  • macgurlnet
    thanks for the replies. Yep just gonna have to learn as I go and learn to pick and choose. I just found out butter has a crap ton of calories too. I usually drowned my veggies in butter, guess I wont be doing that anymore lol or I'l have to choose it over something else. I am really glad to be using fitness pal, I think it is gonna be something I can stick to but still enjoy food, and life, and hopefully get healthier.

What is super yummy is to portion out your veggies (chopped up, weighed in grams), then take a teaspoon of olive oil and some salt and/or pepper and put it all in a bag. Shake vigorously to get those veggies coated! Then, spread evenly on a cookie sheet and bake for 5 minutes or so at 400F (I did 400F simply because I was backing chicken at the time, you would surely be able to go lower if it's just the veggies). You may have to play with time/temperature to figure out what works best in your oven.

Boom! 50-100 calorie snack, give or take, and super yummy! One of my favorite sides :)

~Lyssa
  • mwebster01
    mwebster01 Posts: 111 Member
    you should drink only water.
    coffee made me eat a lot, bc it stimulated my appetite.but that's me, see if it's the same for you, iow something to look out for.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    mwebster11 wrote: »
    you should drink only water.
    coffee made me eat a lot, bc it stimulated my appetite.but that's me, see if it's the same for you, iow something to look out for.

ONLY water, nothing else???? why?????????
  • mwebster01
    mwebster01 Posts: 111 Member
    edited April 2015
    it works great...
    also cut out all condiments, sugary drinks, juices, and smoothies, all of these things r loaded with calories and sugar. u can have them sometimes, but mostly don't have them.that's what I do, and I'm seeing results.
    many people don't think about those things but they really have a big impact on calories.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member

I think I was logging for about 2 months before I felt like I really had a handle on how to eat to my macros. It is definitely a learning process and logging is the way you learn. Not only do you get an idea of how much you eat, you also see places where you can compromise. Drop the tablespoon of butter for 2 teaspoons, and you can have more melon.

• snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    I have a cup of coffee in the morning, and the rest of the day I drink water. I'd rather eat my calories than drink them.
  • CyberTone
    CyberTone Posts: 7,337 Member

~Lyssa

This used to be true but I think they changed it. Or at least, one day my sugar limit was 3 times what it had been.

But I would definitely agree that one shouldn't worry assuming one is eating a balanced, nutrient dense diet and has no health issues.
    MFP did change some of the nutrient goals.
    Sugar

Following the recommendations to increase fruit and vegetable intake in the Dietary Guidelines for Americans 2010, and using an average of the sugar found of sample menus provided by the USDA, recommended sugar intake limits have been set to 15% of total calories.
    Reference:
    myfitnesspal.desk.com/customer/portal/articles/1375583-a-message-about-myfitnesspal-s-updated-nutrition-goals
  • macgurlnet

~Lyssa

Oh neat! I switched sugar for fiber since I didnt like seeing i was over just by eating fruit lol. Good to know!

~Lyssa