Cut for a Slow Cooker Beef Soup or Stew (Pressure Cooker too)

Options
belimawr
belimawr Posts: 1,155 Member
Ok, I know my cuts of beef, but I don't. Kinda.

Last winter I made this really good beef and barley soup in the slow cooker. Haven't done it lately. I would buy a nice cut of beef (more suitable for a roast) at the supermarket.

I realize now I'm wasting to potential of the slow cooker or a pressure cooker (I have both) by buying a nice cut when I could maybe make the soup more often and cheaper buy using a more suitable cut. So, which would be the best cut of beef to use in these cases?

Replies

• Kitnthecat
    Kitnthecat Posts: 2,049 Member
    Options
    If you are using a slow cooker, look for the less expensive cuts of beef like chuck, blade, cross rib for best results. Or a little more expensive, but needing to be marinated or cooked with slow moist heat...try round steak or roast. But don't waste your sirloin or tenderloin or T-bones by slow cooking them. These are tender without marinating, and are best cooked with quick cooking methods like grilling.

You could still use a roast for soup or stew, but would just have to pull apart the meat after cooking. Another tip is to include some ingredients that would help the meat become tender in the slow cooker, like broth, an acid like tomato paste or tamari or soy sauce. Long, slow moist cooking will make the less tender cuts fall apart tender.

I have no experience with a pressure cooker, but it looks like a great thing to have.
  • belimawr
    belimawr Posts: 1,155 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Thanks for your reply. Yes, normally all, or most, of the ingredients go into the pot with the meat, so moisture is no problem. Thanks again!
  • SarahKhristan
    SarahKhristan Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I always use a chuck. They're pretty inexpensive and you get a LOT of meat. You really want a meat that can stand a long cooking period as well.