Runners: Sports Bra Chafing

Options
I'm gonna start by saying I have big boobs and I usually double up on sports bras when I run. I'm training for a half marathon and have been running about 30 miles a week and every run past 5 miles involves sports bra chafing. It's the WORST. Usually I can make it through the run fine, but now that I'm running 6+ miles 5 days a week the chafing isn't getting any time to heal. I've put creme on before I run, but I'm considering taping it or something now haha. Any advice from people with similar experiences?

Replies

• MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    I'm not big busted and I still get chafing. I use Body Glide under the sports bra band, by my armpits, and if I'm wearing short shorts I'll put some where my thighs touch. It looks kinda like deodorant and works wonders!
  • LJgfg
    LJgfg Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I'll second the Body Glide. Also maybe play around with a couple different styles of sports bras and see if one works better than another for you.
  • DaneanP
    DaneanP Posts: 433 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    My dermatologist recommended using antiperspirant after showering on the areas that tend to chafe*, then body glide on just before the activity. You can also use petroleum jelly. Make sure your bras are fitting correctly. As you lose weight, you may need to tighten here and there or downsize completely.

*many deodorants and antiperspirants say not to use on broken skin, so be aware of your brand's directions.
  • elfof2moons
    elfof2moons Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I second the new sports bra suggestion. I am rather plentiful as well so I had to play around with a bunch to get the support I needed. Check out some running shops or amazon. I got mine on amazon but had to do a return (for free) bc I didn't get the right size. It has made a big difference and that is just with me doing c25k so not nearly as much actual running as you.
  • klynshoe
    klynshoe Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Avoid sports bras with the hook and loop fasteners. I prefer the ones that zip in front. Body glide is an excellent suggestion. Also, check to make sure the bras you are using are for "high-impact" support. Most common sports bras are only medium/light support. If you found the right 'high-impact' bra you shouldn't need to wear two. You may also want to consider researching support tank tops - ones that come with a support bra built-in. Not just the ones with flimsy shelf bras, but ones with actual support in them.

Glamour magazine touts the Moving Comfort Juno Bra as the best high-impact support for large busts. Good luck!