Weight Loss at College

Options
hey, I'm relatively new to this. I got the app because I gained nine pounds my first semester, and my goal is to lose it all before the second one ends. For anyone in college or out of college, I was hoping this could be a place to swap ideas.

Replies

• samsmith2323
    Options
    Does anyone know where to get a food calorie counter or weigher that's affordable? And kind of food you can make that's healthy with just a microwave?
  • shannonbun
    shannonbun Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Hey! I've lost 36 lbs so far this semester :) I just focus on logging my food with MFP every time I eat. My school uses Sodexo, so I usually start my searches with "Sodexo (food name)".

I went by Walmart and grabbed some measuring cups, and I use those to measure out my food. Obviously a food scale would be more accurate, but it's better than eyeballing--and cheaper. If you can, get some tupperware to sneak more expensive foods out of the cafeteria. Before I got caught (yeah, I know) I got a lot of rice and meat out of my meal plan from that. Additionally, fresh fruit from the cafeteria is very very easy to sneak out.

As far as microwaved foods go, I'm a big fan of popcorn when I'm trying to fill myself up. A lot of water and popcorn can get you through a long study night, I've found. Also, Steamfresh has many vegetables and rice that steam in the microwave for $1 at Walmart. They also have some pastas for a little over a buck--my favorite is the spinach parmesan penne, which is 420 calories for a bag. Ramen + Steamfresh broccoli cutlets is pretty good, and usually clocks in just over 400 calories for me--which isn't low, but isn't ridiculously high and it does fill you up. It's also really enough for 2 meals.

Frozen dinners are high in sodium, but they help me out for when it's late, or I just don't want to go get a meal. You can find many that are decently low in calories.

Also, take advantage of your school gym if you have one. If I have reading to do, I go find a treadmill or a stationary bike and do my reading on that. It's better than just sitting in my room, and at least for me, helps me focus on the content more.

Feel free to friend me for support or any questions you have. Good luck, you can do this!