Ugh! This sucks!!

Options
Candy is my worst enemy! I've been bad and fell off the wagon. How could a scale reflect a 4 pound weight gain in a 3 day period? I ate junk, but I don't think 3 pounds worth, I've been bad about taking a bite here and there (but I would log the bites also), which I know, ruins it.. My real downfall started Friday night when we went to Cracker Barrel, I had the pancakes, calculated all my calories and had enough with calories left over. Felt like I blew it then, like I wasn't allowed to eat that, even though I had the calories. Just looking for someone who's been there and done that, to get me through it. Encouragement, anything...... I've come to far to feel like it's slipping away...

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    You didn't get 3 pounds of fat. You're probably retaining water. Weight loss isn't linear, either. Drink water, get back on track, the scale should go back down within the week.

FYI, I had a burger and fries and ice cream and whiskey yesterday. I KNOW I didn't gain a pound, because I stayed in a deficit all week (whether it was my weekly goal deficit, or a couple hundred calories above on average). If I step on the scale right now, I would expect to be about two pounds heavier. Think I'll skip that little reminded today :)
  • SillyCat1975
    SillyCat1975 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your kind words. Honestly It means a lot, I've stressed about it, I've not over ate any of my calories, even the ones that I've earned, I run almost 4 miles a day, How can you tell if you have stayed in the deficit all week? I know I hit the red yesterday but not on the calorie part. I'm avoiding that scale, tomorrow is weigh in day and I'm saying no thanks to it.
  • SillyCat1975
    Options
    May I friend you?
  • arditarose
    Options
    Thank you for your kind words. Honestly It means a lot, I've stressed about it, I've not over ate any of my calories, even the ones that I've earned, I run almost 4 miles a day, How can you tell if you have stayed in the deficit all week? I know I hit the red yesterday but not on the calorie part. I'm avoiding that scale, tomorrow is weigh in day and I'm saying no thanks to it.

In the app, choose "nutrition", then at the very bottom of the page click "weekly" and it will show you if you are over or under for the week. You can do the same on the website if you click "reports" and "net calories".

You may friend me. I am not always appropriate on my wall, but like to have fun :)
  • wwstewart
    wwstewart Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Body weight fluctuates on a daily basis for just about everyone. Personally, I've been trying to focus more on non-scale victories rather than what the numbers show. The numbers are important, but it's easy to mistake water weight or putting on muscle for not losing fat.
  • SillyCat1975
    Options
    I'm dense, I see that it says , calories burned or calories or exercise minutes, is there a specific title I should be looking for? I see that is in the fitness section. Which app are you talking about? this crazy app or another one? the reason I say that is because I don't see anything at the bottom other than the reports. I'm sorry I'm being so dense.
  • kellyjellybellyjelly
    kellyjellybellyjelly Posts: 9,480 Member
    Options
    Since you ate at Cracker Barrel you could have consumed a lot of sodium in your breakfast meal & that could easily reflect a weight gain from water retention.

Do you weigh your food on a food scale (excluding takeaway or restaurant meals)?

It's very easy to overestimate a serving size especially with foods like ice cream, peanut butter, nuts, cheese, cereal (it's sad how a serving size truly is), rice/pasta (weigh before cooking), meats, etc.

Don't feel like you blew it since you should look at this as a lifestyle change & not a diet. You should find a way that is sustainable for life with eating & not just a diet you'll use to lose the weight until you get to your goal. I've had countless binge days (not that I am proud to admit that) & I have just brushed myself off & tried harder the next day. I used to restrict my calories to make up for the binge, but that put me in a horrible binge/restrict cycle & let me tell you that's no fun.
  • arditarose
    Options
    I'm dense, I see that it says , calories burned or calories or exercise minutes, is there a specific title I should be looking for? I see that is in the fitness section. Which app are you talking about? this crazy app or another one? the reason I say that is because I don't see anything at the bottom other than the reports. I'm sorry I'm being so dense.

I meant the MFP app for your phone. Try again. Look at your diary for the day, find where it says "nutrition" at the bottom, and then at the bottom of the nutrition page click "weekly".
  • SillyCat1975
    Options
    Yeah, I do have a scale where I weigh my things prior to eating them. Serving sizes really are small. I'm trying to make better food choices and not beat myself up over allowing myself pancakes. It was a hard weekend, I have a 4 year old who thinks there is an Easter Bunny, so there was candy. Normally, I can handle the candy being there. I just had a moment I think. I did find the setting on my phone. Thank you for your information. You have been a true help and I am thankful for the support here.
  • waldo11690
    waldo11690 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I do have a scale where I weigh my things prior to eating them. Serving sizes really are small. I'm trying to make better food choices and not beat myself up over allowing myself pancakes. It was a hard weekend, I have a 4 year old who thinks there is an Easter Bunny, so there was candy. Normally, I can handle the candy being there. I just had a moment I think. I did find the setting on my phone. Thank you for your information. You have been a true help and I am thankful for the support here.

I agree about the portion sizes. Once I started weighing my food, I realized I was eating too much for my goals. And I can relate on the Easter candy thing. Only I can't really resist. I have a little bit, but these cookies are my main weakness. I eat too many for my own good.
    p3495endqqlf.jpg
  • sengalissa
    sengalissa Posts: 253 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Candy is my worst enemy! I've been bad and fell off the wagon. How could a scale reflect a 4 pound weight gain in a 3 day period? I ate junk, but I don't think 3 pounds worth, I've been bad about taking a bite here and there (but I would log the bites also), which I know, ruins it.. My real downfall started Friday night when we went to Cracker Barrel, I had the pancakes, calculated all my calories and had enough with calories left over. Felt like I blew it then, like I wasn't allowed to eat that, even though I had the calories. Just looking for someone who's been there and done that, to get me through it. Encouragement, anything...... I've come to far to feel like it's slipping away...

It does seem to make a big difference on the scale here whether I eat 1400 calories in 3 meals + one snack OR 1500 calories in 3 meals and constant snacking. Even when I feel I did not underestimate my snacks (which is probably incorrect). I can easily gain 2-3 lbs just from not fasting between meals. I don't know if part of it is actual weight gain or if it affects blood sugar and thus shows on the scale the next day?
    Anyway, don't do it. ;)