Herbal teas aiding weightloss

Options
has anyone here tried herbal teas to aid their weightloss? I'd like to try it as I don't like just water I prefer flavoured waters and real juices. I'd like to hear anyone else's experience with it? Obviously together with a healthy meal plan, I'm not talking starvation lol.

Replies

• Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    I drink herbal teas, and I think they do help a little by replacing more calorific drinks (I used to drink black tea with a splash of milk - not a lot of calories, but it could add up over the day). I'm not a big fan of plain water either, so prefer to drink herbal teas for that reason too - they can be nice cold too, particularly the fruit ones. I drink nettle or dandelion usually for a black tea replacement, but I like experimenting with the different kinds.
  • sknicolaou
    sknicolaou Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Vailara wrote: »
    I drink herbal teas, and I think they do help a little by replacing more calorific drinks (I used to drink black tea with a splash of milk - not a lot of calories, but it could add up over the day). I'm not a big fan of plain water either, so prefer to drink herbal teas for that reason too - they can be nice cold too, particularly the fruit ones. I drink nettle or dandelion usually for a black tea replacement, but I like experimenting with the different kinds.

Great I like that, I was reading that dandelion and nettle reduce cellulite and are diuretic so can help. I got those in my garden so I'm gonna start collecting and drying lol.
  • Amandee88
    Options
    I swear by green tea! It helps me so so much and makes me feel so much less bloated
  • sknicolaou
    sknicolaou Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Amandee88 wrote: »
    I swear by green tea! It helps me so so much and makes me feel so much less bloated

Brilliant! Thanks
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,087 Member
    Options
    I do not think herbal teas will aid weight loss other than by 'replacement value' ie if you were previously drinking regular soda or fruit juice or other high calorie drink and replaced that with herbal teas.

But then any other zero of low calorie replacement drink will do the same - water, diet soda, black coffee etc.

So if you like herbal teas, drink them. If you don't, don't.

Either way you will lose weight if you eat/ drink at a calorie deficit.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Rather than claiming this or that aids weight loss, then why not do some research and find some proof that x product actually does assist . Its unlikely anything actually directly causes weight loss, but making sure you stay hydrated could assist you with keeping to your weight loss plan. So what paperpudding said above.

Green tea allegedly is of great value in losing weight, but the evidence is no more than annecdotal. Drink tea by all means as it will help you keep hydrated, but dont build your hopes up.

If you wish to lose weight then youd be better off at practising deficit logging to ensure consistent calorific deficits like the rest of the people losing weight and it helps if you support that with consistent exercise.
    Plain language summary
    Green tea for weight loss and weight maintenance in overweight or obese adults

Green tea has a long history of many uses, one of which is helping overweight people to lose weight and to maintain weight loss. Believed to be able to increase a person's energy output, green tea weight loss preparations are extracts of green tea that contain a higher concentration of ingredients (catechins and caffeine) than the typical green tea beverage prepared from a tea bag and boiling water. This review looked at 15 weight loss studies and three studies measuring weight maintenance where some form of a green tea preparation was given to one group and results compared to a group receiving a control. Neither group knew whether they were receiving the green tea preparation or the control. A total of 1945 participants completed the studies, ranging in length from 12 to 13 weeks. In summary, the loss in weight in adults who had taken a green tea preparation was statistically not significant, was very small and is not likely to be clinically important. Similar results were found in studies that used other ways to measure loss in weight (body mass index, waist circumference). Studies examining the effect of green tea preparations on weight maintenance did not show any benefit compared to the use of a control preparation.

Most adverse effects, such as nausea, constipation, abdominal discomfort and increased blood pressure, were judged to be mild to moderate and to be unrelated to the green tea or control intervention. No deaths were reported, although adverse events required hospitalisation. One study attempted to look at health-related quality of life by asking participants about their attitudes towards eating. Nine studies tracked participants' compliance with green tea preparations. Studies did not include any information about the effects of green tea preparations on morbidity, costs or patient satisfaction.

Green tea for weight loss and weight maintenance in overweight or obese adults

Tannis M Jurgens1,*, Anne Marie Whelan1, Lara Killian2,3, Steve Doucette4, Sara Kirk5, Elizabeth Foy1

Editorial Group: Cochrane Metabolic and Endocrine Disorders Group

Published Online: 12 DEC 2012