Zumba

Options
i Zumba at home on my Wii 60 min 5-6 days per week. At the end it tells me how many calories I burned. Always between 1050-1100. I do not log it this way in MFP. MFP auto calculates my 60 min of Zumba at 949 calories burned. I just go with that since its a lower number and I still try to end the day with 500-800 calories left over. Does this sound ok?

Replies

• gabylewis22
    gabylewis22 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I used to do Zumba classes once a week and was always told that we were burning around 600 calories per session - never as high as what your suggesting. So yeah I think it's a good idea to log it as lower or keep back calories just in case!
  • mkraizel
    mkraizel Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    When I wear my hear rate monitor to Zumba, I burn anywhere from 700-1000 depending on how hard I work and length of class. (45 min class at work I burn 700, but the full 1.5 hours class I burn 1000)
  • CrystalBurns1
    CrystalBurns1 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    600 seems low for a full hour of Zumba. As the Wii controller tracks my movement with not 100% accuracy (pretty sure I work harder) and gives me stars in each dong based on my movement I am sure the 900 is at least pretty accurate. Really I guess this was more of an observation as I am losing so I must be doing ok.
  • Mrsallen6_11
    Mrsallen6_11 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Different people are going to burn at different rates, depending on weight and height. A 45-60 minute zumba session is only going to burn 400-600 calories for me because I'm such a small person (I'm 5'0" & 113#), but I can go for a 30min. run and burn the same amount of calories easily.

Personally I'd go with the smaller number because most calorie counts are going to be exaggerated anyways.
  • knt217
    knt217 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'7" and 185ish lbs. I wear a Polar FT4 hr monitor, and I get about 600 call per hour of zumba, and I push myself. I'd say it's giving you a pretty high estimate.
  • jlahorn
    jlahorn Posts: 377 Member
    Options

Zumba isn't a perfect application for heart rate monitors because the cardio isn't steady-state, but I would still trust an HRM over could on the Wii by a LARGE margin. Hell, you could sit perfectly still except for waving the Wii controller like a maniac for an hour and get a high calorie count.

I work as hard or harder than anyone in my Zumba classes, and at 5'6" and 145 lbs, my HRM still only shows ~600 cals/hour. 1000 calories sounds like a wild overestimation to me.
  • ticiaelizabeth
    ticiaelizabeth Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    That sounds extremely high. I'm 5'6" at 200 pounds give or take a few and burn anywhere between 450 and 610 depending on my effort that class
  • CrystalBurns1
    CrystalBurns1 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Like I said before, more of an observation. For now going to keep doing what I am doing as it is working for me.
  • shyra7480
    shyra7480 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'11 , 400 pounds and my calorie burns are usually 800-1400 depending on the length of time.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'9" 160 pounds and my HRM says I only burn 400 calories in an hour of Zumba and I'm DRENCHED in sweat afterwards.
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    Calories burned depends on your weight and age, don't forget, so where one might burn 500, another might burn 800.

I burn between 500 and 600 in a 60 minute zumba class, per my Polar FT7, depending on the routine that day.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    I don't know anyone who burns 1000 caloiries doing Zumba - I'm consistently a about 375 for a high impact class, except for one instructor wh gets me to 468. I use a Polar FT7. I'm in really good shape though.