Carb protein fat question.

Options
bellarox13
bellarox13 Posts: 95 Member
Do you think having a ratio of 60/30/10 (p/c/f) is alright/achievable/sane lol. For someone who exercises 5 days a week for approx half hour each time.

Replies

• registers
    registers Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    That looks fine, keep in mind, that people have different body types, and use energy differently. Big power lifters compared to those s crony marathon runners. If that doesn't work, tweak it, the thing is to "learn" what works for you.
  • stevemcknight
    stevemcknight Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    I would suggest that fat is too low. I aim for around 200g a day. Fat is essential remember.
  • jolteon00
    jolteon00 Posts: 89
    Options
    Fat is way too low! Fat is essential for a pretty body (skin, hair, nails), a functioning brain, fighting depression, and it keeps you full even longer than protein does. A calorie-controlled but high-fat diet is really good for lasting weight loss, actually.

I like carbs, so my goals are 50/25/25 (c/p/f), but I'm sure you could do 50/25/25 as p/c/f if you want.
  • elliecolorado
    elliecolorado Posts: 1,040
    Options
    I have mine set at 45/35/20 (c/p/f) and personally I have a hard time getting that much protein and staying in my calories. I get 125 - 160g of protein on a good day and eat 1200 - 1600 calories a day. I usually exercise 1 - 2 hours a day and really just try to make sure that my carbs and protein are about even and really try to keeps the carbs lower. I would suggest more fat though and try and make sure they are good fats. You also may try changing your diary and filling it out to see if you can make those numbers work for you. I am working towards 40/40/20 but I like bread and fruits and it is a challenge to keep my carbs low.
  • DustinReiner
    DustinReiner Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Hmm, I think so, I have mine set at 50/35/15, I keep a spread sheet(on everything dissecting my work outs as well as my diet). I've done a lot of research over the years on diets and exercise and I tweaked MFP to what I want. Below my tables I've included some sources I use for research.

It's your body, do what you want, you can always tweak it. Give it about 7 to 10 days and if it's not working out for you, give some fine tuning.

I already know in about 3 to 4 weeks I am going to tweak the carbo levels. I'm planning on changing my workout a little by then, so I'll need a little bit more fuel. (Lifting heaver weights). Right now because of an on going medical injury I had to cut back on the workouts. So I don't need as much fuel(carbo's) right now. I also can't workout as hard or as long as I would like, so I'm on maintain mode.

Having a sucessful and benificial health regiem is a work iin progress, always tweaking and fine tuning. What you are doing today, should not be the same you are doing three to four months from now. You should of moved on and refined your diet and workouts.

The target settings as of May 13 2011 that were set by MFP.
    Calories Protein Carbs Fat Cholester Sugar
    1600 60 G 220 G 53 G 300 MG 30 G
    15% 55% 30%

My Averages as of May 13 2011 these are averages starting on 3/23/11.
    91162 11078 7068 2227 18389 4457
    /52 /52 /52 /52 /52 /52
    1664 201 G 129 G 40 G 333 81

I changed the target settings on May 14 2011 closer to the avg's.
    1600 200 G 140 G 27 G 300 G 40 G
    50% 35% 15%

I’d recommend start to read or research whatever you want to call it. You don’t have to be an expert on the matter, but you will get to know a lot about food and nutrition and exercise.

A link about nutrition
    http://exercise.about.com/cs/nutrition/a/lowcarb.htm

A link about dieting
    http://exercise.about.com/sitesearch.htm?q=What+is+a+proper+diet?&SUName=exercise

Another link about nutrition
    http://exercise.about.com/od/nutrition/Nutrition.htm

I use About.com a lot for research.

You can do it, just stay with it. Even when you get frustrated.

Unfortunately this isn’t my first construction project, you can read my bio if you want the behind the curtain story……or not. That’s up to you, I know where I’ve been and I know where I’m going!

Just trying to share some of the knowledge I’ve learned over the years.

Good luck in reaching your goals!

Dustin
  • DustinReiner
    DustinReiner Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Sorry my graphs didn't come out as well as they looked when I pasred them, they need lined up to the right. (The /52 is the number off days the totals were divided by)
  • bellarox13
    bellarox13 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Awesome, thanks for the info everyone. I thought the fat might be a little low. Thanks for all the info DustinReiner, I will check it out tonight.