Camping meals

Options
Fitmom120811
Fitmom120811 Posts: 260 Member
I need some good ideas for healthy camping ideas..

Replies

• slotten
    slotten Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Grilled chicken and roasted veggies...you can do the veggies in a foil packet. I always did this before my healthy eating, but the chicken was covered in bbq sauce and the veggies in lots of butter!! Lol. Get the non stick foul and add little broth of your choice along with seasonings. Throw them both over the fire!!
  • slotten
    slotten Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Also, go on Pinterest and search "healthy camping recipes". There are some good ones in there. Fresh fruit and veggies along with lean proteins and foul packets and the possibilities are endless!!
  • becca5446
    becca5446 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Beer butt chicken. (take a whole chicken, put a beer can in his "butt" stand him up on the grill, and cook for about an hour). can substitute with a can of ginger ale.

Also, make up a large fruit salad (strawberries, kiwi, watermelon, cantaloupe or whatever you like) in a Tupperware bowl ahead of time and munch on that when you want a sweet snack.

pre-cut some veggies like peppers, onion, and cherry tomatoes, and some steak chunks (sirloin, KC strip, etc), and pour some light marinade on them and bring some Kabob sticks with you and grill some kabobs. Or chicken and chunks of pineapple.

sweet potato wrapped in foil and cooked on the grill for an hour.

If you want to have an adult beverage, vodka only has 60 calories per serving (1 shot worth). Bring a shot glass, measure out one shot of vodka (I like grapefruit flavored), pour over ice in a glass , fill the rest of the way with diet tonic water, and squeeze half a lime into it. Super refreshing.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    I like to make homemade burgers (I put vegetables into mine) of any variety and bring those. We also usually have hummus and chopped vegetables, popcorn, jerky, and definitely the marinated meat/veggie packs (or kebobs).
  • dawnmcneil10
    dawnmcneil10 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    I do breakfast casserole in a cast iron skillet, I toss all kinds of veggies, meat, cheese and either eggs or egg subsitute into the skillet and let it cook. All you have to do is wait it out then cut it and serve.
    French toast casserole too, just rip up a bunch of bread and toss into an airtight container and top with your favorite french toast mixture, chopped nuts, raisins or cranberries and then toss into the skillet and let it "bake" over the fire.

Kabobs are a favorite of mine, I make them up ahead of time and then just have to cook onsite.
    Mini meatloafs are good too, just toss all ingredients you'd have in meatloaf together then make into patties or shape into loaves and cook in foil.

I like my fruit and yogurt when camping too so I use mason jars, put about a cup of frozen fruit in the mason jar, top with plain greek yogurt. The frozen fruit will help keep the jars cold in the cooler and after you eat them you have storage containers for leftovers.

Corn on the cob, just remove the silk, wet the husk and either wrap in foil into the fire or place right on the grill.
    Grilled zucchini is another favorite, I just sliced them lengthwise, spritz with olive oil, salt and pepper and grill them.

Travel with frozen veggies too, this will help with keeping those coolers cold and when it thaws you can use them in dishes, I find broccoli and cauliflower are great fillers. Toss frozen broccoli in a skillet with eggs, cheese and diced ham for a great breakfast. Cauliflower works great as a replacement for pasta or potatoes so why not make a mock mac and cheese, frozen cauliflower a block of cheese diced up and a bit of milk.

Russet and Sweet Potatoes can be wrapped in foil and thrown into the base of a fire. I tend to dice up potatoes, onions, peppers coat with olive oil and seasoning and make foil packets, put them in the dying fire when you go to bed and in the morning you have fantastic homefries. Of course you want to be careful here and make sure you aren't near a large wildlife population, you don't want to draw in the critters but in campgrounds you should mostly be safe.
  • sfbaumgarten
    sfbaumgarten Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    My faves are grilled veggies and Hebrew National hotdogs...
  • JCM1969
    JCM1969 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Camping is just not camping without some Hebrew Nationals... Im with you!
  • annaheyoolay
    annaheyoolay Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I love making omelets. Crack a couple eggs in a ziploc bag, squish them around, add whatever else you want veggies, meat, cheese. Put bags in a big pot of boiling water for about 14 min. Super easy to make before you go.
  • kchezelle
    kchezelle Posts: 110 Member
    Options