Running plateaus?

Options
I am new to running and I started a couch to 5k program a few weeks ago. I really enjoy running and plan to stick with it. It seems like I have some really off days though and I am confused by them. For example I am up to doing intervals of 10 minutes of running followed by 5 minutes of walking. I have been doing this regularly, but suddenly yesterday I struggled just to complete 8 minutes of running. I am not sick or anything, but I got hot really fast, was breathing harder than usual, and was sweating more than usual. Is there such a thing as a running plateau? What could be happening? Thanks for any advice!

Replies

• WickedPineapple
    WickedPineapple Posts: 698 Member
    Options
    This has happened to me before. It was usually due to improperly fueling my runs (i.e., not eating enough). Sometimes if I get poor sleep my runs will suffer as well.
  • Angel_Grove_
    Angel_Grove_ Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    That happens to me if I try to start off too fast. For example, the other day I did my first mile in 9:38, which was super exciting, but my overall 3.4ish route came in almost a minute over what I had been doing for the past week or two. I wore myself out too early and really struggled at the end.
  • Angel_Grove_
    Angel_Grove_ Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    That happens to me if I try to start off too fast. For example, the other day I did my first mile in 9:38, which was super exciting, but my overall 3.4ish route came in almost a minute over what I had been doing for the past week or two. I wore myself out too early and really struggled at the end.

And that's a minute in overall pace, not total time.
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    As you move to longer running intervals, you might need to slow your pace down a little.

This is a great group for running support and questions: Couch to 5k Group
  • teacton11
    teacton11 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Some times you just have off days. Some times you just have an off week. Bad runs happen to everyone regardless if you are new or veteran. Just don't let it get in your head and screw up your next run. Don't over analyze it, just move on.

All is not a waste when you have these days anyway, they make you mentally tougher which is really what you need at this point since you are just basically base building with time on your feet right now. You are not out there racing or trying to outrun anyone. Relax and try to learn to enjoy the suck.
  • shannonmaines
    shannonmaines Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    teacton11 wrote: »
    Some times you just have off days. Some times you just have an off week. Bad runs happen to everyone regardless if you are new or veteran. Just don't let it get in your head and screw up your next run. Don't over analyze it, just move on.

This! I remember when I was training for my marathon I did a 16 miler and it was absolutely dreadful. 2 weeks later I did my 20 mile run and it was one of the best runs I ever had. It happens to all of us. Don't give up and you'll meet all of your goals:smile:
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    Don't measure your progress day to day as your pace can vary for any number of reasons. Measure it month to month. If it's not improving in that period it's time to reevaluate how you are training.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    teacton11 wrote: »
    All is not a waste when you have these days anyway, they make you mentally tougher which is really what you need at this point since you are just basically base building with time on your feet right now. You are not out there racing or trying to outrun anyone. Relax and try to learn to enjoy the suck.

I think this is where I am at right now. My runs seem to be getting slower and shorter, after I stepped back a bit to rehabilitate my knees. I have a whole bunch of stretches ordered by my physiotherapist before my run, and I am to walk for the first five minutes to warm up as well.

All of a sudden, it's gotten hard to put on those sneakers, when I might not see the steady progress I got used to before. I'm learning, I believe, to get past the head games. And keep going.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Agree with inadequate fuel, inadequate sleep, or poor pacing being the most likely culprits.

Inadequate sleep was my problem this morning. Increasing temps didn't help either. I ended up walking a couple of tenths of a mile interspersed in my usual run, which I never do. I ended up going a bit farther to make it up. And then taking a nap after cleaning up and cooling off.

Other possibilities for a slower run are increased mental/physical stress, different route, basically anything that would contribute to fatigue.

• aeturajski
    aeturajski Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    When that happens to me, it usually means I need a rest day. Sometimes it's frustrating, but it's worth it once you exeperience a post- rest day run.
  • belgerian
    belgerian Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    Like others have said I have had this happen to me also check diet, then take a rest day or two or even three, i am taking one today, (had a nice hard run yesterday) I hate it not going out for my run but in the long term it will help me even more.