Does it matter what time of day you have your calories?

Options
I was just wondering - should you spread them out evenly throughout the day? or is it better to have more earlier on? I am going out for dinner tonight so plan on saving the majority of my calories for the say until then, so technically im not going over but i feel like this probably isnt the best way to loose weight? any advice?

Replies

• 4theking
    4theking Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    Most will say to spread them out but I recommend saving calories for later in the day. If losing weight on the scale is your goal spread them out. If your goal is to lose fat and maintain muscle then eat more at night.
  • Sezmo83
    Sezmo83 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I personally don't think it matters and if I'm going out for a meal I do what you do and save as many calories as I can for it without skipping a meal. I used to work shifts and ate at really odd times some days and it didn't affect my weight loss.
  • jasmin1310
    jasmin1310 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert but generally its best to spread them across the day so your metabolism is constantly working. However on the odd occassion saving them to the end or having more in the beginning will trick your metabolism and keep working harder (well so i've heard)
  • LeeKetty1176
    LeeKetty1176 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I tend to have a "big Breakfast" to stop me snacking.............a light lunch............................. then again more at night
  • jamaka1
    jamaka1 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    i think most ppl rather having most of their calories early in the day bc they can burn it off but i guess its ok to do what works for you. personally, if i have something special i do just like ur doing orther than that i like to have most of mine at bkfst and dinner which i dont usually eat later than 5pm. just use common sense and whatever works for you its not a one size fits all.:bigsmile:
  • jasmin1310
    jasmin1310 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Most will say to spread them out but I recommend saving calories for later in the day. If losing weight on the scale is your goal spread them out. If your goal is to lose fat and maintain muscle then eat more at night.

I've never heard of this - how does this work?
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    No, the time makes no difference to weight loss, BUT if you have a big, late dinner it will still be in your belly the next morning and may affect your weigh-in. I have found it's best to work around when you're hungriest to avoid snacking.
  • xxJennabxx
    xxJennabxx Posts: 7
    Options
    Thanks everyone - great advice and now i dont feel so bad about going for dinner! also going to wagamamas and have checked out the calorie content on the meals and they actually arent nearly as bad as i thought which is an added bonus! :happy:
  • 4theking
    Options

They have done studies and those that eat the majority of their calories earlier lost more weight but a large percentage was muscle. Those that ate the majority at night lost less but most everything they lost was fat. I believe some of it has to do with helping control your spike in cortisol while you sleep. Cortisol breaks down muscle.
  • cha36jennings
    cha36jennings Posts: 99 Member
    Options

They have done studies and those that eat the majority of their calories earlier lost more weight but a large percentage was muscle. Those that ate the majority at night lost less but most everything they lost was fat. I believe some of it has to do with helping control your spike in cortisol while you sleep. Cortisol breaks down muscle.

I'm going to reseach this a bit more. I like to have a bit of supper before bed so it would be good to have some science based information on this (and I'm a science geek :-))
  • angechilada
    angechilada Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter. It doesn't "fuel your metabolism" to eat lots of smaller meals throughout the day. I just do it because it stops me from snacking. Also, if I eat later in the day, I tend to want to eat more so I try to have my last meal around 6 p.m. Calories are calories, it doesn't matter what time you're getting them but you're more prone to snacking when you eat later in the evening, usually.
  • rgoodearl
    rgoodearl Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I eat 5 or 6 times a day trying to keep an even supply of calories for my furnace :smile:
    I also try not to eat 3 hours prior to going to bed
  • 4theking
    Options

I'm going to reseach this a bit more. I like to have a bit of supper before bed so it would be good to have some science based information on this (and I'm a science geek :-))

Here is one for a quick read http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3508745