251 grams of protien?

Options
Been using this app to drop a bit of bf% and keep track of what I'm eating. I noticed the daily requirements fluctuate with exercise. So after a typical 2 hour trail run my protien requirement goes up to 250. That's way over the normal 1.2-1.5 grams/kilo for runners (I'm 76kg). I don't even bother putting in the four weight lifting workouts per week. Anyone actually try to eat that much protien? Not easy. Just wondering if something's off with the software. Thanks!

Replies

• PeachyPlum
    PeachyPlum Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    I'm constipated just thinking about it...

Because MFP calculates your macros as a percentage (which sucks, frankly) every time you add 100 exercise calories, it tells you to eat 40 calories of carbs, 20 calories of protein, and 30 calories of fat (or however you have your macros set).

Shoot for the regular recommended protein and fat minimums, and then split the remainder however you want.
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    When you log your exercise, it adds calories to your daily goal and expects you to eat back at least some of those.
    The added calories adjust your macro amounts based on whatever percentage you have MFP set to.

Example, regular setting is 2000 cals, 40% carbs, 30% fat, 30% protein ( 200g carbs, 67g fat, 150g protein).
    You exercise and burn 400 calories, when you log it MFP says your goal is 2400 cals and adjusts the macros to 240g carbs, 80g fat, 180g protein
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    Adjust your macros so they reflect your goal BEFORE exercise. Eat that number and call it good enough.

The numbers are going to be off since MFP only does percentages (which sucks as mentioned above).

~Lyssa
  • PeachyPlum
    Options
    Pu_239 wrote: »
    When you log your exercise, it adds calories to your daily goal and expects you to eat back at least some of those.
    The added calories adjust your macro amounts based on whatever percentage you have MFP set to.

Example, regular setting is 2000 cals, 40% carbs, 30% fat, 30% protein ( 200g carbs, 67g fat, 150g protein).
    You exercise and burn 400 calories, when you log it MFP says your goal is 2400 cals and adjusts the macros to 240g carbs, 80g fat, 180g protein

It expects you to eat back all your calories, that's how MFP works.

Right, and that's cool. But it allocates those calories into macros for you, and it does a bad job. :wink:
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    PeachyPlum wrote: »

Right, and that's cool. But it allocates those calories into macros for you, and it does a bad job. :wink:
    Which is one of the big reasons I started logging in a different app.

• lishie_rebooted
    Options

I know but if one is trusting the MFP exercise database, they should only eat some back since the database isn't all that accurate and not everyone wants to bother with HRMs.
  • wilsoncl6
    wilsoncl6 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    What percentage is your protein macro set for?
  • PeachyPlum
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    If you are 76kg and you set it up for 1.5 as you said that would be 114g of protein how in the would it end up changing to 251g?

New user, probably hasn't customized macros. And if they are a distance runner, they're going to have a lot of calories to play with.
  • beertrollruss
    beertrollruss Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I'll do some extra walking just so I get to eat some extra protein.

There's a couple of solutions. One would be to figure out your TDEE, eat the same calories every day and ignore or not log exercise calories. For a trail runner, you could eat the same protein and fat every day and eat extra carbs on running days.
  • DASEN
    DASEN Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    First post so maybe wrong thread but awesome calorie burn in MapMyWalk app. Entered my age, height, weight and sex. Anyone know how accurate it is?
  • lishie_rebooted
    Options
    DASEN wrote: »
    First post so maybe wrong thread but awesome calorie burn in MapMyWalk app. Entered my age, height, weight and sex. Anyone know how accurate it is?

Not very.
    The most accurate way to measure calorie burn is to be hooked up to all sorts of machines in a science lab.
    The next best option is a chest strap heart rate monitor - there are inaccuracies in this.
    Then there's the wrist HRMs
    Then apps like MapMyWalk, MFP, etc.
  • PeachyPlum
    Options

There's a couple of solutions. One would be to figure out your TDEE, eat the same calories every day and ignore or not log exercise calories. For a trail runner, you could eat the same protein and fat every day and eat extra carbs on running days.

This is what I do - it made my life so much simpler. I occasionally eat back some extra calories if I had a huge burn, but mostly I stick to average TDEE - 15%.
  • DASEN
    DASEN Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks for that info. Think I'll stay with the apps. The MFP syncs with MapMy Walk, and does give me an idea of energy use during my daily walks. I refuel mostly with real food.
  • srbell3
    srbell3 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    PeachyPlum wrote: »

This is what I do - it made my life so much simpler. I occasionally eat back some extra calories if I had a huge burn, but mostly I stick to average TDEE - 15%.

• srbell3
    srbell3 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I get it lol! So the app isn't all that smart. If I burn 1300 running it's adding the extra protein to make up for lost net calories (same with the fat and carbs). So I'll just stick with about 130 grams of protein. Thanks for the replies!
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options
    Adjust your macros.