Half Marathon Training Advice

Options
Someone give me a training regimen!

I am running a half marathon on June 6th. I started following Hal Higdon's Training Program (Novice 1), knowing that I had a LOT more than 12 weeks to go. I have now reached the last full-fledged week before tapering on the program, and I still have about two months until my half.

Where should I proceed from here? Should I start working in speed training? Should I keep increasing my long runs each week? (I did ten miles last weekend). Or should I vary the distance of my long runs?

Just for reference, I am a fairly inexperienced distance runner. I ran some during the summer, but never more than 3 miles or so. I started C25k with a friend in October, and have been running ever since.

Thanks!

Replies

• brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Find a training program that builds from your current ability and continue training.
  • davjohang
    davjohang Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I copied a good PDF from the bay 2 bay run which is in Melbourne for the 56km loop that's a 12 week program if u can't get it from them I can send it to u davjohang@gmail.com
  • Ohhim
    Ohhim Posts: 1,142 Member
    Options
    Either repeat the last 8 weeks, or switch to his novice 2 or intermediate 1 plan picking up 2 months out from the race.
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    You could repeat from the middle to continue building your base. If you just keep your mileage up, you'll see improvements and have a great race come June.
  • alitw
    alitw Posts: 2
    Options
    When I was training for my first half I would do mid distance and short runs during the week and a long run each weekend. You don't want to increase distance more than a mile and a half each weekend. Durning the week I would run Monday Wednesday and Friday and do a 5k on Monday and Friday and a 10k on Wednesday. On Saturdays I would do my long runs and make sure you do yoga or some sort of extended stretching on Sunday to make sure you are feeling alright for the Monday run again.

As far as how far you should run, I would switch distances each weekend between 8 and 12 miles depending on the amount of time you have and how you are feeling. Also it really benefitted me to incorporate cross training as well! And be sure the weekend and week before your half not to run more than a 10k.

Good luck with your race!!
  • akirkman86
    akirkman86 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I have been running 3 days during the week and a long run each weekend. I guess I will keep that up but maybe check out a different HH plan as well.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    Find another plan or use the same one. Make the ending date fit your race date and just pick up at that point so you'll have a nice taper towards the end.
  • devilwhiterose
    devilwhiterose Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    I use his program as a base but modify since I don't have alot of time during the week. I crosstrain on days I don't run (aka, workout dvd or elliptical!). I did my first half last year and am doing another one in a week. Whatever you're going to wear for race-day, train in it a couple times. That way you can make sure you have any chafing, riding, up-shirting under control. All the way down to headphones. Mine kept popping out and I was so mad. lol Get good shoes. I didn't do C25K but I started out with crappy shoes and was intimidated by the running store. After my half last year, I couldn't walk for a week because of the cheap Kohls Asics I had. I bought some new ones for this half and it's like running on marshmallows. They're amazing little investments! Also, speed comes over time so don't fret over it. Have fun!
  • akirkman86
    akirkman86 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice @devilwhiterose ! I definitely splurged for nicer shoes this time around, and it makes all the difference! Good luck on your half!
  • mhankosk
    mhankosk Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    Hal Higdon was what I used. Worked just fine for me :)
  • runner475
    runner475 Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    If you are fairly inexperienced runner do not add speed training.

Other than that +1 to change the plan to fit ending date with race date ....
  • kpw818
    kpw818 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Pretty good advice all around. Definitely, definitely taper and take it easy before the race. I got hurt before the one I was supposed to do because I was running 12+ miles every weekend.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Good advice so far. I agree with working backwards from race day to find the right starting place in the same program. If you want to go up to 11 or 12 miles for your longest run two weeks before race day that's not a bad idea, either.

I also second the concept devilswhite rose expressed: train in the clothes and gear you're planning to use for race day a couple of times. You never want to try anything new on race day and that includes food. The last thing you want is a surprise that's going to at the least be irritating and at the worst cause problems significant enough to keep you from finishing.

Have fun!
  • Dianardh
    Dianardh Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I used marathonrookie.com
    Good luck!