Girls- Am I the only one?

Options
Am I the only one who only sees a weightloss once a month the day after my period has ended? Is this normal? Literally is the only day in the month I will see an improvement. Saying that though, I am 5'4 and last time the scale showed a loss I was 9 stone 7 (133lb)....I guess my weightloss slowed down as I am healthy now.

Replies

• Bukawww
    Bukawww Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I have seen it recommended for women to only weight once a month so I guess that sounds right. I usually see a loss a few times a week but during period week, I can gain up to 10 pounds overnight. Its miserable - my fingers feel like stuffed sausages. As long as I keep my brain and eating on track, I can count on a beautiful loss once its over.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    no you aren't the only one...not me personally but I see lots who post the same thing.
  • Hippychick5983
    Hippychick5983 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    It is hard for women to weight themselves. We tend to fluctuate more then men do. Thank you time of the month...... That is why is better to not weight yourself every day. Or if you do then take a weekly average instead. It can drive you crazy otherwise!
  • ar9179
    ar9179 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    It's pretty common. I tend to waffle around 3 or so pounds, and then get a loss that sticks once a month. I'm also stressing my muscles a few times a week and that encourages holding on to fluid. When I need encouragement, I go into my closet and there is always at least ONE thing that finally fits again. So, I can see progress somewhere!
  • kandell
    kandell Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself daily, just to make sure I'm relatively on track (I use the Libra app to track the trend rather than the specific scale value).

That being said, I've noticed that my weight will increase by a couple of pounds right before that time of the month, and then starts to go down during or after, depending on how well I can stick to my calorie goals. After that it's a pretty steady trend of loss.

It definitely helps that with the BC I use, I only have a period 4 times a year.
  • ciacyrus29
    ciacyrus29 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I hate the scale. I avoid it at all costs. I only get on it because i feel guilty. I know if I want to weigh myself - I have to be extra, extra careful for a few days before to show a loss. It's the damndest thing. With cravings for something sweet or salty - it just makes losing weight horrible. kandell I don't know how you weigh yourself daily - I just couldn't do it. I think I'd probably sew my mouth shut - maybe I should weigh everyday then!
    I don't think your alone. I think most women go through the same thing. Some metabolism works differently than others.
    Just hang in.
  • jssprague
    jssprague Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Remember, the closer you are to your goal, the slower the progress. But... 1 pound a month still counts as long as that pound doesn't reappear at another point during the month. I've noticed that I gain and lose between 5-7 pounds when it's that time of the month. The day after seems like a great time to weigh in.

Also, have you been doing the same workout for a while? Maybe it's time to change that up.
  • InForBacon
    InForBacon Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    Welcome to womanhood. Glad you could join the rest of the female population that has hit puberty.
  • crazyjerseygirl
    crazyjerseygirl Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    Am I the only one who only sees a weightloss once a month the day after my period has ended? Is this normal? Literally is the only day in the month I will see an improvement. Saying that though, I am 5'4 and last time the scale showed a loss I was 9 stone 7 (133lb)....I guess my weightloss slowed down as I am healthy now.

I gain abt 5 pounds right before shark week and pee it all out by the end. My guess is you do the same, you just build it gradually except over a day or two.
  • Fesanso
    Fesanso Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I lose throughout the month (I probably have more to lose and am not near my goal), but over my TOM gain 3-4 pounds (water retention). Once it's over I'm back to where I was before it started. I like to weigh every day - my scale does %'s for Fat, Water, Muscle and Bone (wouldn't bank on it for total accuracy, but I like to chart it - I find it interesting to see the rise over my time of month)... but if it bothers you don't do it. I never used to like looking at the scales before.
  • 23susu23
    23susu23 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I'm over that TOM thankfully, but I decided to weigh myself every single day and log it. That way I can see the natural ups and downs and hopefully desensitize myself so I don't get so freaked out. I'm finding it an interesting experiment. I feel like it keeps me on track but it is interesting how weight loss (especially for me) is not linear. Some weeks when I am so good, it doesn't show on the scale until the next week or so. (Don't think it changes after menopause!) It has calmed me down about the scale. Also, I intend to keep it up for when I reach maintenance so I don't get any surprises. I've lost major weight about 3 times over the last 30 years and I want this to really be the last time. Ignoring the scale is one of the reasons why I regained (along with slipping back into bad eating habits).
  • gabrielleelliott90
    gabrielleelliott90 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately I can't weigh myself every single day as that would mean having to lug scales with me lmao and I don't think I'm that determined. However I did try that.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,233 Member
    Options

It is normal to see a slight weight gain right before your period ... and a slight loss right after your period.