Frustrated!

Options
My trouble spot is definitely my waist/midsection/stomach. I feel like I am eating all the right foods and doing great workouts but I'm not seeing any changes in that area. I am so frustrated and my motivation is starting to dwindle because nothing I am doing seems to be paying off. It is much easier to stay motivated when you see you are losing weight and seeing changes in the way your clothes fit, but I am not seeing changes with either of those. I have only lost three pounds in 7 weeks and last week I gained one of those pounds back. I need motivation, encouragement, and advice please. I do not want to give up, I know I am stronger than that. But I have hit a point where I feel hopeless with my weight loss journey.

Replies

• enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I have a similar problem area. You can't spot reduce is what I keep getting told. Your body will choose where you are dropping weight/gaining muscle. Don't give up. Do you feel good at least?

I have found that I love running and my legs are starting to look great, but my big old c-section belly has only begun to drop inches even though I've lost near to 40lbs. Still worth though because I feel amazing.
  • 81Katz
    81Katz Posts: 7,074 Member
    Options
    My trouble spot is definitely my waist/midsection/stomach. I feel like I am eating all the right foods and doing great workouts but I'm not seeing any changes in that area. I am so frustrated and my motivation is starting to dwindle because nothing I am doing seems to be paying off. It is much easier to stay motivated when you see you are losing weight and seeing changes in the way your clothes fit, but I am not seeing changes with either of those. I have only lost three pounds in 7 weeks and last week I gained one of those pounds back. I need motivation, encouragement, and advice please. I do not want to give up, I know I am stronger than that. But I have hit a point where I feel hopeless with my weight loss journey.

You can't control where you'll lose fat. Your body decides that on its own.

Weigh/measure your food, log it accurately as possible. Keep on keepin' on.
  • runner475
    runner475 Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    Did you get a chance to read this post?
    It's nicely written.
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1161603/so-you-want-a-nice-stomach/p1
  • runmama411
    runmama411 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    So without knowing how many calories you are eating a day or burning, my suggestion would be to look over your dietary and exercise logs for the past 7 weeks. Have you been eating enough calories? Are you missing certain dietary needs as far as protein, carbs, fats? How about your water intake? I will tell you that I have had stalled weight loss or progress before and after what seemed like forever (only several weeks) I lost a large amount of weight. I would just keep doing what you're doing and maybe tweak it here and there based on your findings. Best of luck to you! :)
  • davert123
    davert123 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    you can't really spot lose weight, your body will just pull fat from wherever it wants to. it will go eventually but exercising will tone up the bits you want to sort out as well, this wont change the amount of fat there but will add muscle :-) You can do this though ,just keep logging accurately and male sure you hit your macros - more protein than MFP suggests is better. If you want a motivated friend please feel free to invite me. I'm about most days at the moment will be social to those that are social back :-) Good luck and don't give up
  • enicolem212
    Options
    thanks everyone. I have heard that you can't spot a certain area to lose weight. I guess I just hoped that with my calorie intake of 1200 a day and 30-60 minute workouts everyday of the week, my metabolism would be working harder at burning off fat in the areas I mentioned. I feel good in the sense that I feel strong- my weights have increased each week at the gym which makes me happy, I just wish I was seeing changes in the way my clothes fit. I did look back on my food log for the last couple of weeks and I did not realize how much sugar I was eating - even just 5 chocolate covered pretzels a day adds up. How much sugar do you recommend? MFP allows me to have 45grams but maybe that's too much... especially since i'm getting it from things that aren't fruit.
  • RacheLoko
    RacheLoko Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Since you can't target a certain area to lose weight specifically and you are eating clean I would look into changing your workout routine. Mixing it up and tryinn workouts that target those areas harder
  • MrCoolGrim
    MrCoolGrim Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Patience, Patience and more Patience. This is a marathon not a race. It will happen just be patient and keep doing what your doing.
  • enicolem212
    Options
    runner475 wrote: »
    Did you get a chance to read this post?
    It's nicely written.
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1161603/so-you-want-a-nice-stomach/p1

thank you, this is great!
  • enicolem212
    Options
    runmama411 wrote: »
    So without knowing how many calories you are eating a day or burning, my suggestion would be to look over your dietary and exercise logs for the past 7 weeks. Have you been eating enough calories? Are you missing certain dietary needs as far as protein, carbs, fats? How about your water intake? I will tell you that I have had stalled weight loss or progress before and after what seemed like forever (only several weeks) I lost a large amount of weight. I would just keep doing what you're doing and maybe tweak it here and there based on your findings. Best of luck to you! :)

I'm eating 1200 calories a day, and MFP allows for me to eat 55g fat, 82g protein, 204 carbs. I always go over carbs, am about 10g short of protein every day, and go over fat by about 10-20g. I drink about 5 glasses of water per day.
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone. I have heard that you can't spot a certain area to lose weight. I guess I just hoped that with my calorie intake of 1200 a day and 30-60 minute workouts everyday of the week, my metabolism would be working harder at burning off fat in the areas I mentioned. I feel good in the sense that I feel strong- my weights have increased each week at the gym which makes me happy, I just wish I was seeing changes in the way my clothes fit. I did look back on my food log for the last couple of weeks and I did not realize how much sugar I was eating - even just 5 chocolate covered pretzels a day adds up. How much sugar do you recommend? MFP allows me to have 45grams but maybe that's too much... especially since i'm getting it from things that aren't fruit.

Sugar doesn't matter as long as you are staying in your calorie limit. I recommend hitting your protein macro to help preserve muscle mass while you lose though.

Are you using a food scale??
  • enicolem212
    Options

Sugar doesn't matter as long as you are staying in your calorie limit. I recommend hitting your protein macro to help preserve muscle mass while you lose though.

Are you using a food scale??

I own a food scale, but most of my measurements have been using measuring spoons or cups, or guessing. I don't eat meat other than fish so I have a hard time meeting macro for protein. Protein suggestions would be awesome! I love walnuts, avocados, cottage cheese, and quinoa. After I posted this I made a list of meals to eat for bfast, lunch, and dinner- all healthy and protein packed! I am hoping these lists help because I have noticed that my meals are pretty weak, arent satisfying, and don't keep me full.
  • blankiefinder
    Options
    Nuts and avocados are healthy, but very high calorie. They need to be eaten in moderation. You really, really need to weigh all of your food, especially nuts, nut butters, and anything that is calorie dense.

If your meals aren't satisfying, I would bulk them up with more lean proteins (sole, chicken etc) and large servings of veggies like broccoli, carrots, peas, asparagus etc. Weigh, weigh weigh...
  • enicolem212
    Options
    Nuts and avocados are healthy, but very high calorie. They need to be eaten in moderation. You really, really need to weigh all of your food, especially nuts, nut butters, and anything that is calorie dense.

If your meals aren't satisfying, I would bulk them up with more lean proteins (sole, chicken etc) and large servings of veggies like broccoli, carrots, peas, asparagus etc. Weigh, weigh weigh...

that is great advice, thank you. putting the scale on my counter right now so that I see it and will remember to use it.
  • missyrobb
    missyrobb Posts: 8 Member
    Options

(1) 45 grams of added sugar is too much. I was just reading out this and the American Heart Association recommends no more than 24 grams for women per day. Sugar 100% matters and I disagree with blankiefinder (sorry!).

(2) I can't help but wonder if part of the problem is too few calories. 1200 calories is low. If you don't eat enough your body will go into starvation mode and not burn, but rather store, fat. I eat about 1500 calories a day and find that I lose the most weight around 1600 calories a day. I also get the best results from a balanced diet of 40% protein, 30% carbs, and 30% fats. Stay away from diet foods or other low fat items. Full fat is good for you.

(3) Check your exercise routine to make sure you are getting a variety of both cardio and resistance training. Pure cardio isn't enough to burn fat alone. The more you build muscle with lifting weight and resistance training the better your muscles will hold the fat you have and the more fat your body will burn.

If you want to friend me I am happy to be a motivation buddy.

I started in mid-February losing weight and I am down almost 10 pounds. I lost two pounds this week alone just cutting sugars back. I only exercise 30 minutes five days a week.

I run a blog that chronicles my journey. I did a blog post today on sugar. {READ HERE} I am learning as I go and there is a lot of conflicting information out there to sort through.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    missyrobb wrote: »
    If you don't eat enough your body will go into starvation mode and not burn, but rather store, fat.

This is not exactly true. "Starvation mode," as the term is thrown around, doesn't exist. If you cut your calories too much, you will burn more muscle, but you will still lose weight. Our body can't retain weight on a deficit -- otherwise real starvation would never be a thing. You can slow down your metabolism through prolonged calorie deprivation, but you would still lose weight when a deficit was reintroduced.

If someone isn't losing weight, they aren't at a deficit. Eating more calories will not result in weight loss. The likely issue is that she is eating more than she thinks she is -- she is not using a food scale.

Edit: corrected a typo
  • missyrobb
    Options
    I'm eating 1200 calories a day, and MFP allows for me to eat 55g fat, 82g protein, 204 carbs. I always go over carbs, am about 10g short of protein every day, and go over fat by about 10-20g. I drink about 5 glasses of water per day.

DRINK DRINK DRINK...If you don't drink enough water your body will not efficiently flush itself. The best way to retain water and be bloated is to not drink enough water. I usually drink 2+ liters a day. I have a 1 liter bottle I carry around and I fill it in the morning and at noon.
  • blankiefinder
    edited April 2015
    Options
    If you don't eat enough your body will go into starvation mode and not burn, but rather store, fat.

This is not exactly true. "Starvation mode," as the term is thrown around, doesn't exist. If you cut your calories too much, you will burn more muscle, but you will still lose weight. Our body can't retain weight on a deficit -- otherwise real starvation would never be a thing. You can slow down your metabolism through prolonged calorie deprivation, but you would still lose weight when a deficit was reintroduced.

If someone isn't losing weight, they aren't at a deficit. Eating more calories will not result in weight gain. The likely issue is that she is eating more than she thinks she is -- she is not using a food scale.

This. If you're not losing, you're not in a deficit.

Missy, no offense, but you've only been at this one month, give it a bit before you consider yourself an expert. I'm at goal, and I'm not an expert.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

If someone isn't losing weight, they aren't at a deficit. Eating more calories will not result in weight gain. The likely issue is that she is eating more than she thinks she is -- she is not using a food scale.

This, except that that should read Eating more calories will not result in weight loss. (I can tell it's a typo from the context).

Thanks for the catch!
  • missyrobb
    Options

If someone isn't losing weight, they aren't at a deficit. Eating more calories will not result in weight loss. The likely issue is that she is eating more than she thinks she is -- she is not using a food scale.

Edit: corrected a typo

I should have been more clear. I was being casual with the term "starvation". Being in a deficit DOES in fact cause your metabolic rate to slow down over time. The more excessive (in terms of size and duration) the deficit is, the more significant this drop will be. It will slow down progress a little over time. A much bigger factor slowing down weight loss progress over time is the fact that you’ve already lost a bunch of weight, so your body just isn’t burning as many calories as it initially was. Meaning, your maintenance level has decreased because your body weight has decreased. So the calorie intake that caused lots of weight loss at 250lbs isn’t working as well (if at all) when you get down to 200lbs.