How to gain 5 kg if you are very active and eat only healthy food?

Options
2»

Replies

• AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    #4 and #5 are really the important points. #1 really just gives you ideas for "healthy" and calorie-dense foods that get you to #4. Just don't sacrifice your surplus for the sake of "healthy." Without the surplus, nothing else here matters.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Since no one pointed it out, and sometimes we miss the obvious:

OP, if you don't like added oils in regular peanut butter, and don't want to spend extra money on the brands that just use peanuts and salt, you can always just grab a handful or two of peanuts. In fact, why not make yourself a grab bag of mixed nuts, whatever you prefer. Good selection of micros in various nuts, plus a nice source of fats generally deemed healthier. A bit of protein, too.

It'd also be a good base for a homemade granola, which would be high calorie, relatively low satiety.
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    5 kg == 11 lbs....
    So if you are lifting weights, with progressive overload....
    Then I would shoot for about 1 - 1.5 lbs / week.....There will be some fat gain....can't help that....
    So I would say you are looking at about 6 months to add on 5kg of muscle.

And "healthy"....depends on what you think is "healthy".
    I think what I eat is healthy, but you might would disagree....

I would say #5 is correct.
    Although you don't need to do more reps, if you are going up in weight.
    For example, say you do 5 sets of 5 reps on bench press one week
    Next time you do the same weight...but you feel like you are able to do more reps....so for that week, do the extra reps.
    The next time you do bench press (3rd time you hit chest), you do a weight (so increase weight) where you can get 5x5 and not feel like you could have done more..... Make sense?
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Just a thought to keep in mind although it's been covered.

No one food item can be unhealthy. You can only judge a diet as a whole. A diet of nothing but broccoli wouldn't be healthy, just as a diet of chicken wouldn't be, just as a diet of donuts wouldn't be. You have to look at the diet as a whole. If you are hitting you macro/micro targets for the day but not hitting your calorie goals, eat some ice cream. Calories are king when it comes to bulking and as stated, you don't get extra "nutrition" for eating more broccoli. You can only process so many nutrients. The rest are wasted.
  • bobdawe1
    bobdawe1 Posts: 1
    Options
    Hi all...I'm a newbie here so cut me some slack if I cover something already discussed. One of the most important things to do to gain lean muscle is eat 100 to 120 grams of protein every day. My Fitness Pal gives you a great record toward that goal. Each person can do it their own way. It's not easy. If you need to use protein powders and bars fine. If you can do it with whole foods even better. Do that and work out as much as you can. Do pushups every day. Start low and work up. Get to the gym as much as possible. Walk. On the treadmill or, better yet, outside. Do stairs, in your house or at the gym. Get some dumbbells for home arm and shoulder work. But, above all, strive to eat over 100 grams of protein each and every day.
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    bobdawe1 wrote: »
    Hi all...I'm a newbie here so cut me some slack if I cover something already discussed. One of the most important things to do to gain lean muscle is eat 100 to 120 grams of protein every day. My Fitness Pal gives you a great record toward that goal. Each person can do it their own way. It's not easy. If you need to use protein powders and bars fine. If you can do it with whole foods even better. Do that and work out as much as you can. Do pushups every day. Start low and work up. Get to the gym as much as possible. Walk. On the treadmill or, better yet, outside. Do stairs, in your house or at the gym. Get some dumbbells for home arm and shoulder work. But, above all, strive to eat over 100 grams of protein each and every day.

Each person's protein needs are different.
    So 100 - 120 gr may or may not work for another person
    I personally take in over 200 gr daily.....more than I need, yes. But I like it, so I eat that much.
    All muscle is muscle...not lean or otherwise.....
    Your caloric consumption will determine how fat you get. Just as it will determine how lean you get.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    If your missus does all the cooking and you're happy that it's a good balanced diet, for your goals, why not just squeeze in a 500 cal snack (or 2x 250)?

A surplus of 500 a day should give you, roughly, 0.5 kg gain a week.

Like someone above mentioned, make sure you're getting some heavy weight training in so that you gain some muscle. 3 to 5 sessions of at least 50 mins.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    bobdawe1 wrote: »

Please stick around and learn, we all start with misconceptions and we can help you if you are willing to do some research with us.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Also - you keep referring to lean muscle OP.

Your body will decide how fat or lean the muscle is in certain spots - you'll have no control over that. Well, endurance cardio has shown to increase some intra-muscular fat storage for easy access.

How fast you gain can control how much fat ends up on top of the muscle though.

If you want lean muscle - go to the butcher.
  • bio_fit
    bio_fit Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Gorzoks wrote: »
    I was sceptical about peanut butter because I ve heared that it isnt that healthy because it contains PALM OIL.

As far as I'm aware, the main issues with palm oil are ethical ones. I personally try and avoid palm oil - not because it's unhealthy, but because of the ethical issues surrounding its production.

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,604 Member
    Options
    Short answer: Calculate your TDEE for given day and eat 500 calories (protein highest, then moderate carbs and fat ratio) surplus.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • jmaidan
    jmaidan Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    You need to lift bro! Pound some iron!
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    Water is very important for weight gain. If I drink 2L I'll gain 2kg instantly! Awesome!

In all honesty, you just need to be hydrated for good health. You get hydration from water, other beverages (including coffee), and food with high moisture content. You also need good salt in your diet to enable you to stay hydrated.

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    Oh....and add chest press to your squat and deadlift routine.