Step one down!

Options
jennaatsuad
jennaatsuad Posts: 35 Member
In September of 2008, I had a tonic clonic seizure (commonly referred to as a grand mal seizure). When I went to the hospital, they found a brain tumor - it wasn't cancerous, but it was big, about the size of an egg. I named her Georgia, because she was on my mind... Right? Hey, it was either laugh or cry, and I'll take laughing any day! She was successfully removed a week later, but I was left with the lovely parting gift of epilepsy. Thankfully, it's well controlled with meds - I've only had two other seizures in the six and a half years since I gave Georgia the boot.

Well, the meds have a not-so-great side effect, which is weight gain. I'm not going to discount my role in the enormous amount of weight I gained since we found Georgia, because I have not eaten well; however, the last med made me gain 40 pounds in six months, putting me in shouting distance of 300 pounds, and that was my wake up call, so I decided to change my eating and exercise habits. I quickly found and joined MFP. I love you guys - this last month has been amazing, and the inspiration and motivation I've found from listening to your stories is a large part of that. I've lost a total of 26.1 pounds since I made that decision.

One thing I've discovered on this site is the importance of setting small goals leading to a larger goal, so I decided that by May 2016, I wanted to run a 5K. My smaller term goals were to train to WALK a few 5K's this summer, and then start Couch to 5K once I lost a total of 75 pounds. I've given myself until January to do that, which leaves me five months to train to run my first 5K.

Today I received a newsletter from my neurologist's office, and what do you think is happening in Seattle on June 20th? The Northwest Run / Walk for Epilepsy. So guess who signed up for her first 5K walk today! I have a couple friends lined up to do it with me (but if there's anyone in the Seattle area who would like to walk - not run - with us, you are MORE than welcome!). The name of our team? Team Georgia. She may have completely disrupted my life, but she gave me many gifts as well. I hope it doesn't happen to you because of something like a brain tumor, but I hope everyone - at least once in their life - gets to feel the amazing, intense feeling of knowing all at once how much everyone you know loves you. It's mind-boggling, and without Georgia, I never would've felt it. So she's my talisman as much as she's my burden, and it's only fitting that what she left me with is what starts me back on the road to full health!

Replies

• beachhouse758
    beachhouse758 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your recovering health and being able to compete in the 5k in spite of so many obstacles. You must be so proud :)
  • jennaatsuad
    Options
    Thank you! I'm especially proud that I actually signed up for it instead of making it a perpetual "I'm going to do this... someday" deal. I'm holding myself accountable, which is another MFP gift! :)

• fostersu
    fostersu Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    This is wonderful, thank you and good luck!
  • JenniferInCt
    JenniferInCt Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    The hardest step in most things in life is the first step- such as signing up for the 5k. And how cool that you found one that will actually really mean something to you! I am inspired by your story. Please come back and let us know once you finish that walk- because i know you will! Great job!
  • c50blvdbabe
    c50blvdbabe Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Your story is amazing and encouraging. All I kept thinking about while reading is Romans 8:28...All things works together for good. May God continue to bless and keep you.
  • jennaatsuad
    Options
    Thank you all! @JenniferInCt - I definitely will! The walk is June 20th, and I fully expect to post some pics taken at the finish line!
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your success so far, though it seems like Georgia is still on your mind. :lol: Make sure to give us an update after you do the walk!
  • alina9944
    alina9944 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Wow, here I am in my office right looking overlooking SpaceNeedle!
  • alina9944
    alina9944 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Great accomplishment! Keep me posted once you here in Seattle!
  • jennaatsuad
    Options
    Afura wrote: »
    Congratulations on your success so far, though it seems like Georgia is still on your mind. :lol: Make sure to give us an update after you do the walk!

Will do, thank you! :)
    alina9944 wrote: »
    Great accomplishment! Keep me posted once you here in Seattle!

I live right over in Renton! Want to join the team? :) I'm not sure of your fitness level, but none of the people who plan to join me are runners - I'll hopefully be there by next year's race, but this year we're all walking. It would be nice to know a local MFP'er, if you're interested! :)
  • JohnBarth
    JohnBarth Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    You rock! I travel to Seattle for work occasionally, and there's a chance I'll be there over a weekend sometime in June. No idea when, but if I'm there, I'm joining your team!
  • jennaatsuad
    Options
    Awesome! :)
  • overin2015
    overin2015 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Isn't a marathon 26.1 miles? I thought it was funny that your weight loss was that and your goal is running. Congrats on your "mini marathon" of the 26.1 pounds and good luck on your 5K walk/runs! Thanks for posting. You took adversity and kicked it in the teeth - sorry Georgia!
  • jennaatsuad
    Options
    I have even thought of the 26.1lbs / 26.1 miles comparison - I love it! :)
  • MrsMizart
    MrsMizart Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    Blinking brilliant lass! You've made me smile at your wonderful take on what was not a good time.
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,325 Member
    Options
    cheering_minions.gif
  • jennaatsuad
    Options
    Thank you both! :)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!