How am I gaining/not losing?

Options
I'm eating about 1800 calories a day, which MFP and every other calculator I can find says for me to eat if I want to lose 2lbs per week. However I've been stuck around the same weight (on average) for a couple of weeks. In fact, I see weight gain more often than I see loss. I know that is theoretically impossible. Can I really be retaining that much water? Anyone else have the same issue?

Replies

• blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    Are you weighing your foods on a food scale?

How long has it been?
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options
    Open your diary.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    How accurate is your diary? Are you using a food scale for all solids - measuring cup for all liquids? Logging everything you put in your mouth? Accurately calculating exercise calories if you eat them back? Do you use generic entries from the database rather than those specific to what you ate? Do you use the recipe builder when you make your own food?
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    In addition to the above...current height/weight? activity level?
  • cwebsterlusk
    cwebsterlusk Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I do use the recipe builder, and I don't use generic items, only items specifically of the same brand and type. If what I am eating isn't in the database, I add it. I do use a food scale, though not as much as I should I dare say. I do measure pretty much everything though.

I don't see how inaccuracies in my diary could account for 1000+ calories per day some days.

I'm also 6'4" with quite a large build and am currently 260lbs
    I stay fairly active as a small engine mechanic/handyman and I get 30mins of cardio 2-3 times per week as well as using resistance bands, freeweights and some aerobic exercise mixed in.
  • cwebsterlusk
    Options
    I forgot to mention over the past month and a half I've lost about 15lbs but in the past 3 months I've lost a total of 25lbs.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    I forgot to mention over the past month and a half I've lost about 15lbs but in the past 3 months I've lost a total of 25lbs.

Then I guess I fail to see what the problem is.

You're losing. That is good. Keep at it.
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    I don't get it. You have lost over a pound per week. You're doing good.
  • cwebsterlusk
    Options
    Ahh, maybe I should explain better. Overall yes I have lost, and at a good rate. For the past two weeks however I appear to be "stuck" if that makes any sense. No real change. any way to get over the "slump" or just time will tell? I'm sure its a stupid question, but I always have to ask "why."
  • BerniceKatz69
    BerniceKatz69 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Take your measurements? Muscle weighs more than fat So you may be developing more muscle tissue but getting leaner. Also try changing up your exercises & routines - that can help bust through the plateaus.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

so, what is the problem??????
  • Alipop
    Alipop Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Some times if I'm "stuck" I increase one macro slightly and see if that's what I need. For example, I was eating low fat high protein and I switched to more fat and took away carbs. There is tons of conflicting data regarding cal in and cal out (it is the basis of weight loss) but what you eat is important as well. Look back at the weeks you lost a lot of weight and compare to the last couple of weeks using the nutrition pie chart on here. Any ideas from that?
  • hhnkhl
    hhnkhl Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    You are probably estimating your calories.
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    Overall yes I have lost, and at a good rate.
    For the past two weeks however I appear to be "stuck" if that makes any sense.
    You could:
    nudge your calories down by 50-100
    nudge your activity up (any one or a combination of: time, speed, distance, weight lifted)
    Take your measurements?
    Yes. At least once a month, maybe every 2 weeks.
    Muscle weighs more than fat So you may be developing more muscle tissue but getting leaner.
    No. 1 lb muscle = 1 lb fat = 1 lb feathers = 1 lb lead
    For the same volume, muscle weighs more than fat.
    For the same mass, muscle takes up less space than fat.

In just a few months, it's unlikely he's developed enough muscle to offset any fat loss, esp. eating at a deficit.
    To add muscle, one needs to eat at a slight surplus (250 cal) and work hard at lifting progressively heavier things.
    It doesn't happen by accident, and practically never while eating fewer calories than needed to maintain weight.
    You could put in your before & after measurements here to see if you've actually gained lean body mass.
  • thisdizzy_dreamer
    thisdizzy_dreamer Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    You may need to change something in your work out routine. Platues happen. Sometimes I just have to throw a curveball at my body to remind it that we're supposed to be losing.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    You may need to change something in your work out routine. Platues happen. Sometimes I just have to throw a curveball at my body to remind it that we're supposed to be losing.

Why?? she ilost 25 pounds in last three months that is 2 pound a week loss....
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,203 Member
    Options
    Ahh, maybe I should explain better. Overall yes I have lost, and at a good rate. For the past two weeks however I appear to be "stuck" if that makes any sense. No real change. any way to get over the "slump" or just time will tell? I'm sure its a stupid question, but I always have to ask "why."

Drop your calories a little bit ... or ... increase your exercise a little bit. Or both.