How often to recalculate?

Options
still feeling pretty new here - in my third week. I was playing around with the goal settings and since I've lost 6.8 lbs, it recalculated my calories down about 50 calories per day. Should I really be doing this already? And yes, I have a lot to lose. Around 60-70 total lbs. If I hadn't been playing around with the settings I wouldn't have even known I could do this. Do you wait until weight loss slows down before you recalculate? Is there a general rule?

Replies

• samistarz
    samistarz Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    It usually reccommends that I change my goals at every 10lbs lost... I have done it 3 times now but because it still have another 30lbs to go it keeps my calories the same (1200). Maybe you could try it for a week or so and see how it fits with your weight loss progress?
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    MFP will promt you to recalculate every 10 lbs in order to continue to lose at the same rate. This is because as you get smaller you require fewer calories to maintain. You have to still have the same deficit to lose at the same rate, so as your maintenance number decreases you calorie goal will have to decrease.

Keep in mind (not necessarily right now but in the future) as you get closer to goal you will need to slow down your loss rate. You may be shooting for 1-2 lbs right now, but when you are only 10 lbs from goal you will probably be looking more towards 0.5 lbs a week. Slowing down your loss rate keeps you form having to cut your calorie goal to an extrememly low level.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    It will prompt you to change them when it's time. You can earn them back through exercise.
  • JenniferInCt
    JenniferInCt Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    Mine didnt prompt me to recalculate until like 28lbs (cant remember exact number). Ive heard the 10lb recalculation rule but ive lost 32 so far with at least 50 to go and ive only seen it that one time. Knock on wood!
  • caaber01
    caaber01 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Thanks, everyone!
  • Kfrase83
    Kfrase83 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    MFP will promt you to recalculate every 10 lbs in order to continue to lose at the same rate. This is because as you get smaller you require fewer calories to maintain. You have to still have the same deficit to lose at the same rate, so as your maintenance number decreases you calorie goal will have to decrease.

Keep in mind (not necessarily right now but in the future) as you get closer to goal you will need to slow down your loss rate. You may be shooting for 1-2 lbs right now, but when you are only 10 lbs from goal you will probably be looking more towards 0.5 lbs a week. Slowing down your loss rate keeps you form having to cut your calorie goal to an extrememly low level.

Excellent info - I was not prompted, but like OP was in playing with goals. I wish ^this^ was information given for newbies. Thanks!