5'5 needing to lose 50 lbs (HELP)

Options

Replies

• kbxiii
    kbxiii Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I should also mention that I do 16:8 to control hunger

What's that?
    I'm 5'3 looking to lose 50 lbs (now 44lbs left)
  • egwake13
    egwake13 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Adding you! I have about 70 pounds to lose. Been a member for years but didn't use the community at all, just (occasionally!) tracked my food. Looking to fellow users with the same goals to help motivate me. I feel like I have all the information I need to succeed, I just can't seem to change my bad eating habits!
  • stephobarr
    Options
    Starting a healthy lifestyle can be very challenging at first. That's why I think that when you are starting out you should make the changes week by week.

First you need to get your nutrition in order, reading new recipes/trying new foods/reading lables, then in a couple weeks incorporate fun cardio workouts, then in another couple of weeks weight lifting, and so on. I think that this helps you turn it more into a lifestyle rather then a temporary 'diet' or 'health-kick'. Doing it little by litter shows you that you can take on a lot if you just break it down in parts.

Hope this is helpful!
  • kbxiii
    kbxiii Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I'm in a similar boat, only shorter.. I'm adding you girls by the bunch, I hope that's ok!
  • ka97
    ka97 Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    CHARLYAM wrote: »
    ka97 wrote: »
    I'm 5'5" and lost about 60 (still struggling with the last 10 though). My best advice - be patient and consistent. Gradually make changes that you know you can stick with. Try new foods and learn to incorporate flavors that you like into healthy recipes. Learn about portion sizes and weigh your food - log everything. Find an exercise/activity that you enjoy and that you will stick with.
    Remember, patience and consistency. There will be bumps in the road and you will have bad days. Don't let it derail you.

Thanks so much for your honesty! Also congrats on your weight loss achievement! :) will definitely take on your advice and experiences.. Two questions was there ever a day where you skipped logging your food? And did you notice a difference in weighing food compared to not doing it? Thanks again :)

When I first started I wrote everything in a food journal (this was before I found mfp). Just doing that and trying to make healthier choices (more veggies less junk) worked well for the first 50lbs or so. I may have skipped an occasional day, but rarely. As I got closer to goal weight, it got harder. Then I joined MFP. Then I got a food scale. Once I started weighing my food (and realizing I was eating much more than I thought) I started losing again.
    I have not been consistent about logging lately, which is why I haven't been able to lose the last 10, and keep it off. I know that. I just have to get myself back to it. I know what to eat, I eat a lot of the same things everyday, and I can actually eyeball pretty accurately. But when I don't weigh and log my food, I allow myself to eat a couple of bites here, a taste of something there, and all that little extra adds up quick. The closer you get to goal, the less room there is for error.
  • skinnyby31
    skinnyby31 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I'm the same- 5ft 4 and want to lose 60 pounds
  • onehappypickle
    onehappypickle Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I'm of similar height and weight goals... 5'5" and my initial goal is to lose 40lbs. Been using MFP for almost two weeks, and it's a godsend! I never realized how much I was eating, and most all of it was carbs. I haven't lost any yet, actually put two pounds on. But, I'm being positive about it, and am pretty sure it's muscle being built. More muscle = more fat burn per workout! Anyone can feel free to add me if they'd like an accountability buddy! :-)
  • madaboutblu
    madaboutblu Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Welcome aboard I am your weight loss twin!! 5'5 with 50 little pounds to unburden my body of
  • ka97
    ka97 Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    I'm of similar height and weight goals... 5'5" and my initial goal is to lose 40lbs. Been using MFP for almost two weeks, and it's a godsend! I never realized how much I was eating, and most all of it was carbs. I haven't lost any yet, actually put two pounds on. But, I'm being positive about it, and am pretty sure it's muscle being built. More muscle = more fat burn per workout! Anyone can feel free to add me if they'd like an accountability buddy! :-)

Nope not muscle. It's not easy to gain muscle. But if you've just started working out, or recently increased your workout then it's likely water. Your muscles will hold onto some water as they repair themselves. Also, it's normal for your weight to fluctuate up and down a few pounds based on a number of different factors. So don't let the little ups and downs on the scale drive you crazy. Think long term. You are making positive changes. If you stick with it and stay consistent it will work.
  • onehappypickle
    onehappypickle Posts: 74 Member
    Options

Nope not muscle. It's not easy to gain muscle. But if you've just started working out, or recently increased your workout then it's likely water. Your muscles will hold onto some water as they repair themselves. Also, it's normal for your weight to fluctuate up and down a few pounds based on a number of different factors. So don't let the little ups and downs on the scale drive you crazy. Think long term. You are making positive changes. If you stick with it and stay consistent it will work.

Hey now, don't crush my dreams of gaining muscle, lol. I said I was trying to be positive. :-)
  • shaythep
    shaythep Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Spyer116 wrote: »
    arditarose wrote: »
    I'm 5'4" and it too me 10 months to lose 30 pounds...

WEll I was pretty overweight / had a high bf%, so that'd be part of it I guess - easier to lose fat when you're overweight, then when you're already lean. Started at 182 pounds. now down to just under 152. Goal is currently 140, and see where I am there, before deciding my next goal.
    It was pretty crazy though, i'd be going to the gym 8-10 times / week. Doing strength training 3 of those times. And burning 600-800 cals each day on cardio machines. And walking 20-30+ miles / week outside the gym. All while cutting calories too

Well I started off at 183 lbs in January and I'm only 168 now. 10 lbs a mean seems crazy. But congrats to you.
  • shaythep
    shaythep Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I meant losing 10 lbs a month seems crazy
  • CHARLYAM
    CHARLYAM Posts: 19
    Options
    egwake13 wrote: »
    Adding you! I have about 70 pounds to lose. Been a member for years but didn't use the community at all, just (occasionally!) tracked my food. Looking to fellow users with the same goals to help motivate me. I feel like I have all the information I need to succeed, I just can't seem to change my bad eating habits!

I'm similar to you in so many ways... I used MFP a few years ago but never onced used the community.. It was until I actually looked at it a couple of days ago that I thought what the heck let's give it a go! I'm so glad to finally for once speak up and not be shy as there are so many others who are in the same situation as us and that can help support, motivate and drive us to be active in becoming healthier :) the eating habits will come with discipline and patience.. It is hard to begin with so many food cravings etc but I think just take it day by day and you'll see an improvement with your eating... It's struggle for me I won't lie but slowly in making changes... It doesn't help when there's no food and the only available places to eat is at McDonalds... I definitely need to get food shopping done asap and food prep to prevent from going there!!
  • CHARLYAM
    Options
    stephobarr wrote: »
    Starting a healthy lifestyle can be very challenging at first. That's why I think that when you are starting out you should make the changes week by week.

First you need to get your nutrition in order, reading new recipes/trying new foods/reading lables, then in a couple weeks incorporate fun cardio workouts, then in another couple of weeks weight lifting, and so on. I think that this helps you turn it more into a lifestyle rather then a temporary 'diet' or 'health-kick'. Doing it little by litter shows you that you can take on a lot if you just break it down in parts.

Hope this is helpful!

Thank you stephobarr!!! :) what you said was very very helpful! And yes I definitely don't want this to be a temporary fix cause I know I'll put it all back on if not more! I'm definitely taking this journey in stages by starting with changing my mindset. By having a positive, healthy and determined mindset I know I'll be able to achieve my goals... I'm determined to tech my goal and be able to share with others what I did :) thanks again!! :)
  • airangel59
    airangel59 Posts: 1,887 Member
    Options
    You can do it...just set your mind to it. I pre plan/pre log so I stay on track thru the entire day. Also joined some challenges here to keep me moving and honest (Ultimate Accessibility Challenge runs I think first 7 days of each month to join up).

I'm 5' 5.5" and am now at goal maintaining my #150 loss. Just remember, you didn't put the pounds on overnite, they aren't going to miraculously disappear...my Fitbit was my motivator to push me to and past the 100 lb mark.
  • ncfitbit
    ncfitbit Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    airangel59 wrote: »
    You can do it...just set your mind to it. I pre plan/pre log so I stay on track thru the entire day. Also joined some challenges here to keep me moving and honest (Ultimate Accessibility Challenge runs I think first 7 days of each month to join up).

I'm 5' 5.5" and am now at goal maintaining my #150 loss. Just remember, you didn't put the pounds on overnite, they aren't going to miraculously disappear...my Fitbit was my motivator to push me to and past the 100 lb mark.

I also love the challenges here. It's a nice way to make yourself accountable and see what other people struggle with on this journey. It sounds like you want any changes you make to be permanent. I think that is half the battle right there! Who wants to lose a bunch of weight just to put it back on? Not me!

I'm 5'4" and have lost a little over 23 pounds since October 2014 with a small deficit and moderate workout schedule. I don't want to lose weight doing anything I'm not willing to do long-term.

Feel free to add me and good luck!

• CHARLYAM
    Options
    CHARLYAM wrote: »
    I'm 5'5" and lost about 60 (still struggling with the last 10 though). My best advice - be patient and consistent. Gradually make changes that you know you can stick with. Try new foods and learn to incorporate flavors that you like into healthy recipes. Learn about portion sizes and weigh your food - log everything. Find an exercise/activity that you enjoy and that you will stick with.
    Remember, patience and consistency. There will be bumps in the road and you will have bad days. Don't let it derail you.

Thanks so much for your honesty! Also congrats on your weight loss achievement! :) will definitely take on your advice and experiences.. Two questions was there ever a day where you skipped logging your food? And did you notice a difference in weighing food compared to not doing it? Thanks again :)

When I first started I wrote everything in a food journal (this was before I found mfp). Just doing that and trying to make healthier choices (more veggies less junk) worked well for the first 50lbs or so. I may have skipped an occasional day, but rarely. As I got closer to goal weight, it got harder. Then I joined MFP. Then I got a food scale. Once I started weighing my food (and realizing I was eating much more than I thought) I started losing again.
    I have not been consistent about logging lately, which is why I haven't been able to lose the last 10, and keep it off. I know that. I just have to get myself back to it. I know what to eat, I eat a lot of the same things everyday, and I can actually eyeball pretty accurately. But when I don't weigh and log my food, I allow myself to eat a couple of bites here, a taste of something there, and all that little extra adds up quick. The closer you get to goal, the less room there is for error.

Awesome stuff!! Thanks this has helped me out majorly! Tonight I'll be getting me some food scales whoop whoop! Excited for the changes ahead! Thanks again! And all the best for your weightloss journey so far from what you've shared it seems like you're doing an awesome job! Keep up the good work! :smiley:
  • CHARLYAM
    Options
    Welcome aboard I am your weight loss twin!! 5'5 with 50 little pounds to unburden my body of

Whohoo that's us!!! :) cannot wait to get to our goal!! :blush:
  • CHARLYAM
    Options
    skinnyby31 wrote: »
    I'm the same- 5ft 4 and want to lose 60 pounds

Awesome! Welcome aboard!! Here for support and motivation in your journey :)
  • CHARLYAM
    Options

That's great! :) I know the feeling of not realising how much you eat I can't wait to buy the food scales tonight and see how the difference from then and now :) I haven't weighed myself yet (need to buy scales also) I like your positivity! All the best on your journey and I'm always her to support and motivate you along! Whohoo :blush: