Stretches before and after lifting...help

Options
need some help please. I been told my muscles are quite weak. I'm new to lifting. Need some work on my hip flexors too. Also my lower back is weak too. Just curious if anyone knows stretches I could do before and after lifting. I alternate between upper and body and lower when lifting.

Also are there any other stretches or classes etc I could to help? Thanks

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I would not stretch before lifting, I would just do some warm up exercises. I also personally do not stretch after lifting. If I need something for recovery I foam roll.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    Your muscles are weak or overly stiff? If you have muscles that are overly stiff then you should do some kind of stretching pre-workout. If you don't loosen up then you be won't able to do the movements correctly which will result in low benefit and possibly even injury. I can't really make any specific recommendations for you because I would really need to do a movement assessment.

Other than Yoga I'm not aware of any stretching classes. If you go to a gym then see if there is a personal trainer that can help you with an assessment.
  • RECowgill
    RECowgill Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=BH11j4kSQ8E

Alan Thrall's warmup routine. It's a long video but worth watching.

Couple of notes- you shouldn't be doing this much warmup/cooldown with every workout. Be selective about it, maybe only do some foam rolling one day and maybe only do leg related stretches another day. I believe he mentions something like that in the video, but its worth repeating. The video is like a total ideas list of possible things to do, not what you should do every time.

Not sure what issues you're running into exactly, but warmup for warmup sake is very unnecessary. You just have to listen to your body and do the bare minimum for preparation, whatever your body requires to be ready for lifting that day.

Continue to strength train, that will be the best way to solve any weaknesses you have.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I jump rope for 5 minutes. do a bar warm up- then I do weighted warm up- then I do hip opening exercises- then more warm up weight- then get into heavier warm up weight- I usually do 4-5 weighted sets before I get to my working weight.

I NEED to be warm before I stretch- and I need to do some stretching before I work.
    Not sure what issues you're running into exactly, but warmup for warmup sake is very unnecessary. You just have to listen to your body and do the bare minimum for preparation, whatever your body requires to be ready for lifting that day.

Continue to strength train, that will be the best way to solve any weaknesses you have.
    cosign strongly to this.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    I jump rope for 5 minutes. do a bar warm up- then I do weighted warm up- then I do hip opening exercises- then more warm up weight- then get into heavier warm up weight- I usually do 4-5 weighted sets before I get to my working weight.

I NEED to be warm before I stretch- and I need to do some stretching before I work.

cosign strongly to this.

Yeah, I don't know how people don't stretch before they lift unless they are incredibly limber and just some dynamic movements are enough. The whole "stretching is bad" and "stretching will get you hurt" is so misrepresented and taken out of context from the research that is out there. If people understand basic concepts like "reciprocal inhibition" and "altered reciprocal inhibition" then they will understand why mobility is important.
  • RECowgill
    RECowgill Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Personally I think the warmup ideas promoted by StrongLifts works best and that's what I do. If I squat or bench that day, I do 1-2 sets of empty bar lifts. I may also do a few no-weight wall squats, messing with foot placement, focusing on form etc. Warmups are brief but directed, I'm focusing on the full range of motion and practicing the form. I will also usually do a couple of lightweight sets before doing my working sets. I think warmups are best personally when they are lighter versions of the movements you are about to do.

Post-workout stretches/foam rolling/yoga is more extensive. I may spend 20-30 mins doing this after a workout, maybe less, maybe not at all.

Sometimes I do my foam rolling and stretching first, and then also after the workout. It really just depends on what I think I need that day.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    Sam_I_Am77 wrote: »

cosign strongly to this.

Yeah, I don't know how people don't stretch before they lift unless they are incredibly limber and just some dynamic movements are enough. The whole "stretching is bad" and "stretching will get you hurt" is so misrepresented and taken out of context from the research that is out there. If people understand basic concepts like "reciprocal inhibition" and "altered reciprocal inhibition" then they will understand why mobility is important.

Shrug- I'm "incredibly limber" considering I'm a dancer (I'm almost all the way down both sides on my splits) but I still have to warm up-I just cant' do it otherwise. I know for some things warming up just needs to be a whole body warm- but for technical lifts- nope- gotta do some mob work.

I mean if I was doing more split type work? I probably would be less concerned with it -juset jump rope and get to curling (and I don't mean that as a rub on anyone's program) but since I do double compound lifts 3x a week- yeah- mob work is crucial.
  • Allgoingtomakeit
    Options
    Its seems everyone agrees that most importantly, you must moblise and warm up. How you do this is personal preference.

Then the stretching...even sport scientists can't agree. A few 'facts' (term used lightly) that have been found.

1. Old school static stretching. You know where you hold the stretch for 30 seconds each. It is this stretching that has influenced the stretching is bad concept...because...

...research has shown that, it decreases the tension, increases the laxity of ligaments. This equates to reduced stability at a joint (different from mobility) and increased risk of injury. Also, when compared to dynamic stretching, static stretching reduces your muscular power out out.

With this in mind, maybe dynamic stretching is preferable as part of your warm up.

But static stretching after your workout is still a yes. In fact if you really want to increase your flexibility, then PNF, proprioceptive neuromuscular facilitation, will do the trick. It sounds a mouthful, but its a very easy concept to implement.

Ultimately, find and use what you prefer. Sometimes, regardless of the science I static stretch first, because I feel like it. Or don't stretch at all. We choose.

• SBRRepeat
    SBRRepeat Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Like previous posters, I do a warmup on the row machine or elliptical, then warmup with the empty bar. On big lifts, I do weighted warmup sets, too, occasionally.
    I also have hip flexor issues- my physical therapist taught me to roll them out using a lacrosse ball, similar to the way you would foam roll, but more targeted pressure points. That + the yoga pose Reclining Hero about once a day (usually when I get home from work or cool off from a run) and my hips are good to go. May want to look into that option!
  • SweatLikeDog
    SweatLikeDog Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I do two sets of 10 pump stretches and bodyweight squats as a general warmup. For weight training I'll do a warmup set with half the weight of the work sets. If I'm stiff, I'll throw in some foam rolling over whatever area needs it.
  • 4leighbee
    4leighbee Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options

cosign strongly to this.

Are you running through all the big compound lifts with your bar weight, warm-up weight ... or just squats or ... what does that look like? How long does it take you? I usually just run a little and bam: Compound Lift #1 x 3, Compound Lift #2 x 3 ... etc. I might be in the gym forever ...
  • Sweet_Pea4
    Sweet_Pea4 Posts: 447 Member
    Options

Thanks for all your replies.
    SBRRepeat wrote: »
    Like previous posters, I do a warmup on the row machine or elliptical, then warmup with the empty bar. On big lifts, I do weighted warmup sets, too, occasionally.
    I also have hip flexor issues- my physical therapist taught me to roll them out using a lacrosse ball, similar to the way you would foam roll, but more targeted pressure points. That + the yoga pose Reclining Hero about once a day (usually when I get home from work or cool off from a run) and my hips are good to go. May want to look into that option!

Yeah it's hip flexor they said I have an issues with and muscles being tight.
  • Lofteren
    Lofteren Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    You should check out DeFranco's agile 8.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    Studies have shown that static stretching before lifting decreases strength. Dynamic stretching appears to be ok, but you should be warm before doing dynamic stretching. The only exception would be if you have specific muscle imbalances with tightness in certain muscles that limit range of motion. In that case, it is worth giving up some strength to have the proper movement pattern.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,565 Member
    Options
    Dynamic stretching works for most of my clients. We start with small movements then movements with a little more ROM. Hit all the main body parts. Then what ever workout we're doing (whether lifting, plyo, conditioning, boxing) there's always a few warm up or test reps before bumping it to the real workout.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Sweet_Pea4
    Options
    Is conditioning best to fit into your weekly workout and if so how many times a week?
  • LovelyIvy466
    LovelyIvy466 Posts: 387 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I do a dynamic stretching warm up, alternating overhead reaches, high knees, squats with no weight and lunges with no weight before every workout. Really simple, and it gets me ready for whatever comes next.

I have tight hip flexors too, and the biggest help for them hands down has been yoga. There are so many poses focusing on opening the hips and hamstrings, plus strengthening the glutes and quads that it's a big help. The hip flexor work has eliminated a lot of knee pain that I had as well.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    4leighbee wrote: »

cosign strongly to this.

Are you running through all the big compound lifts with your bar weight, warm-up weight ... or just squats or ... what does that look like? How long does it take you? I usually just run a little and bam: Compound Lift #1 x 3, Compound Lift #2 x 3 ... etc. I might be in the gym forever ...

Squats are the most important for me to warm up- seems like I need it WAY more than any other lift. Bench is getting there- I have a solid arch- and I have to really warm up into it to get it where I like for bigger numbers.

Deadlift I am pretty comfortable so I tend to do "a little" less- I won't do the full hip opening stretch routine- but I probably should.

I posted a video of it. let me see if I an find it. I think my warm up takes me about 15 minutes total- 5 for the rope- and then like 7-10 for the warm up with the bar.

https://youtu.be/5lH_MJpL4dY

for what it's worth I'm already there for "forever" (well- 1.5-2 hours isn't that much- I am happier at 3- but I realize I'm not everyone) but I cannot squat without doing this. I cannot do it. When I get under the bar for my first set- it looks like I've barely squatted in my life before- stiff tight and all over the place. I HAVE to take the time to warm it up. my hips are just as valuable to me as my time outside the gym.
  • Sweet_Pea4
    Options
    I do a dynamic stretching warm up, alternating overhead reaches, high knees, squats with no weight and lunges with no weight before every workout. Really simple, and it gets me ready for whatever comes next.

I have tight hip flexors too, and the biggest help for them hands down has been yoga. There are so many poses focusing on opening the hips and hamstrings, plus strengthening the glutes and quads that it's a big help. The hip flexor work has eliminated a lot of knee pain that I had as well.

Are there any videos you have found useful in the yoga?
  • Sweet_Pea4
    Options
    4leighbee wrote: »

cosign strongly to this.

Squats are the most important for me to warm up- seems like I need it WAY more than any other lift. Bench is getting there- I have a solid arch- and I have to really warm up into it to get it where I like for bigger numbers.

Deadlift I am pretty comfortable so I tend to do "a little" less- I won't do the full hip opening stretch routine- but I probably should.

I posted a video of it. let me see if I an find it. I think my warm up takes me about 15 minutes total- 5 for the rope- and then like 7-10 for the warm up with the bar.

https://youtu.be/5lH_MJpL4dY

for what it's worth I'm already there for "forever" (well- 1.5-2 hours isn't that much- I am happier at 3- but I realize I'm not everyone) but I cannot squat without doing this. I cannot do it. When I get under the bar for my first set- it looks like I've barely squatted in my life before- stiff tight and all over the place. I HAVE to take the time to warm it up. my hips are just as valuable to me as my time outside the gym.

I don't see the video. What's your username on tube I'm guessing? Thanks