How do you weigh yourself?

Options
the scale at the gym said one number and the one at home said another number. Also when I move my scale around the floor, my number changed as well. What do I do?

Replies

• maasha81
    maasha81 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I stick to one scale and weigh at same time weekly.
  • lectric102002
    lectric102002 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about the number. Just track the loss. I just use one scale, at home, every morning at the same time.
  • dcam09
    dcam09 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Weigh yourself on the same scale every morning right after you wake up. It doesn't matter if it's off, it'll at least be consistently off. That time of day you won't have many fluctuations with water or food weight, so it'll give you a good baseline. Then don't worry about it the rest of the day. If the scale fluctuates on position, get a new one, or just don't move it.
  • willia12
    willia12 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    place a five pound dumbbell or something of exact weight to test your home scale. Then weigh yourself using the scale in the same spot on the floor each time. also, do yo weigh yourself dressed the same?
  • Diana_GettingFit
    Diana_GettingFit Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    I don't mean to hijack this thread but my question is relevant. How many of you weigh yourselves every day and do any of you weigh yourselves just once or twice a week? I've gotten into the habit of stepping on the scales every day but I'm wondering if that's healthy, especially as I seem to gain and lose a pound each day.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    At home, naked, every morning. I line the scale up on the floor at the intersection of two specific lines on the floor each time.

If you can mentally handle daily fluctuations without freaking out, weighing yourself daily is absolutely fine. If it leads you to get upset or change tactics on a daily basis, however, I'd cut it down to weekly or biweekly.
  • sandryc79
    sandryc79 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Dave_Wh wrote: »
    I don't mean to hijack this thread but my question is relevant. How many of you weigh yourselves every day and do any of you weigh yourselves just once or twice a week? I've gotten into the habit of stepping on the scales every day but I'm wondering if that's healthy, especially as I seem to gain and lose a pound each day.

I weight once a month. The fluxuations derail me and this way I am focusing on the big picture of getting healthy rather than the number. The weight in monthly let's me adjust as needed my calories and activity level.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Temperature and location (along with other things, like water retention) can affect what's on the scale.

http://scoobysworkshop.com/how-to-weigh-yourself-accurately/

The link provided by vinegar tells you all you need to know. Its worth taking the time to read.
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    Options
    I keep my scale in the same place (don't move it around) and weigh weekly, first thing in the morning in a bra and underpants.

I don't expect my doctor's scale to weigh the same as my scale at home and am just looking for a downward trend. I will only know that's the trend by comparing week by week on the same scale, and I can't weigh weekly naked on my doctor's scale, so I let my home scale be the judge.
  • knt217
    knt217 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I weigh every morning, before I've eaten anything (i may drink coffee first...it just depends on how much I need it that morning!), after using the bathroom, naked, and after zeroing my scale. My particular model has to calibrate every time it's moved, so I just zero before stepping on, and then weigh myself.
  • Shanairah1991
    Shanairah1991 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I unfortunately don't own a scale (and I don't really want to either.) So I weigh myself at the gym in the mornings of Wednesday, Thursday and Fridays. I get up at 6am, drink coffee, go to work with children so I am active until 9 am then I eat a snack while driving to the gym. Usually a banana. I weigh in my workout clothes. I sometimes debate whether I should grab myself a scale so I can weigh at home first thing in the morning and naked but from past experience I get very addicted to stepping on it daily and getting upset.
  • cheryleandjohn
    cheryleandjohn Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I weight myself every Sunday morning when I get up.
  • nuttyengineer
    nuttyengineer Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    First thing in the morning, naked, while the shower is heating up. I weigh daily, but only log it once or twice a week. I also weigh myself at least twice to make sure the reading is the same (sometimes if I'm standing on the scale just a little differently it will give a lower reading). I'm not actually that concerned about losing weight, it's just become sort of an obsessive morning ritual.
  • OldHobo
    OldHobo Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    The second thing every morning, after urination. Record in a spreadsheet with a 5 day rolling average. Don't care about daily gains as long as the graph linked to the rolling average column continues downward.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    Stick with one scale and leave it in the same place.
  • Roverbreath
    Roverbreath Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    First thing in the morning and log it. Also before bed for curiosity to see how much I lose when I sleep. If you log it on MFP, you can see your chart. That is helpful in seeing the overall trend. For me, it helps me stay motivated in the face of little spikes in weight. I've seen it before, I didn't go to a barbecue today, it'll pass.
  • KaysKidz
    KaysKidz Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    First thing in the morning, naked, while the shower is heating up. I weigh daily, but only log it once or twice a week. I also weigh myself at least twice to make sure the reading is the same.

Ditto! Although I log daily.