Conflicting Information

Options
Does anyone else get overwhelmed by all the conflicting information out there? Maybe I read up too much on diet and fitness but I have to say I'm still confused! It seems like every book and program stresses something else that is important. As it is I can't figure out what to do for exercise today! It seems like half the info says strength, strength, strength, and the other half says to lose weight you need cardio, cardio, cardio! Then it's lifting heavy or lifting more reps....running 60 minutes or running intervals for 30 minutes. Then there is diet...protein and carbs with every meal, lower carbs...lots of fruits and veggies...watch out for the sugar in veggies...eat back exercise calories...don't eat them back...

I so want to do what is going to have the most positive effects the quickest but don't know which info to rely upon! Argh....

Thanks fo the venting!

Danielle

Replies

• potluck965
    potluck965 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    The trouble is that no one thing works for everyone. You just have to take what suggestions sound doable and try. If one approach doesn't work, try another.

I find that some ways are just impossible to work into my lifestyle. You have to do what is right for you, but sometimes it takes a while to figure out exactly what that is.
  • codexavellum
    codexavellum Posts: 112
    Options
    Couldn't agree more!
  • therobinator
    therobinator Posts: 832 Member
    Options
    For exercise, I say everything in moderation, and don't get stuck in a routine that your body will get used to.

For food, read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/234218-micronutrients-calories-exercising-lots-of-info-here
  • rfcollins33
    rfcollins33 Posts: 630
    Options
    No!! You are not alone!!! lol.... I guess we just have to dibble dabble around until we find what works for us.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Well, I think there's conflicting information because different things work for different bodies too. For me personally I am one of the people who can bulk up really fast from lifting so I keep my weight light because at this point in my life I am not trying to get bigger!! :)
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    You have to take all the information that you read and decide for yourself what resonates with you; What makes sense to you. But number one priority is to read, read, read. The more informed you are, on both sides of everything, the more you can make decisions and opinions on what you believe. The second most important thing is experience. Do what works for you. Try different things. The third most important thing is to understand that no matter what you believe and what your experience, someone else's is going to be different.
  • atsteele
    atsteele Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    Does anyone else get overwhelmed by all the conflicting information out there? Maybe I read up too much on diet and fitness but I have to say I'm still confused! It seems like every book and program stresses something else that is important. As it is I can't figure out what to do for exercise today! It seems like half the info says strength, strength, strength, and the other half says to lose weight you need cardio, cardio, cardio! Then it's lifting heavy or lifting more reps....running 60 minutes or running intervals for 30 minutes. Then there is diet...protein and carbs with every meal, lower carbs...lots of fruits and veggies...watch out for the sugar in veggies...eat back exercise calories...don't eat them back...

I so want to do what is going to have the most positive effects the quickest but don't know which info to rely upon! Argh....

Thanks fo the venting!

I know!! We should come with a manual!! LOL But really it comes down to the basics: eat well (and not too much) and get some exercise, every day if you can. The more you exercise, the more you can eat without gaining weight. Good luck!! :D

Danielle
  • Purple_Orchid_87
    Purple_Orchid_87 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    i get overwhelmed by conflicting info too

quite a few ppl suggested peanut butter to get my kcals up, as i started on 1200 and only now, after 6 weeks, did i let MFP calculate them and they're up by 430kcals a day - im somewhat used to 1200 so needed a high kcal low micro food

when i added peanut butter to my diary and asked ppl to take a look and give any advice, one person messaged me and said i was sabotaging myself and peanut butter is the worst thing ever, its full of salt and sugar and if i eat it, i am sure to gain weight

i ate the peanut butter, 1 tbsp, this morning on toast - its my weigh in tomorrow morning - needless to say, if i do pile on the weight overnight i think i'll cry, but was really confused as to what else i could have to get my kcals up without affecting my micros too much

i really really appreciate all the support and motivation on here - i jsut get confused as to what will work and what 'may' work
  • ANeWcRe8N
    ANeWcRe8N Posts: 1,180 Member
    Options
    The trouble is that no one thing works for everyone. You just have to take what suggestions sound doable and try. If one approach doesn't work, try another.

I find that some ways are just impossible to work into my lifestyle. You have to do what is right for you, but sometimes it takes a while to figure out exactly what that is.

I agree with this poster... not one way will work for everyone. You just gotta do what works into your lifestyle and your body. :)
  • sophjakesmom
    sophjakesmom Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    I am totally with you! I have felt in the past that I need to do everything right and I would make myself crazy with percentages and sodium and sugar, not to mention what the best work out order or option is. I would simply quit because it was too overwhelming.

This time I am taking a different approach, I have 3 simple rules, move more, eat less, and when faced with a choice, try to make the best one available. If you look at my diary, you will see I go over on sodium and sugar alot, but I am pretty consistently under on fat grams. This has really given me a sense of freedom and confidence. You can't focus on all that stuff all the time, but you can make better choices that will help you get to a healthier you. Hang in there!
  • sophjakesmom
    sophjakesmom Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    I guess we just have to dibble dabble around until we find what works for us.

Very True!!
  • turbochickheather
    turbochickheather Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    It's a balance...cardio & strength training both boost metabolism & burn fat. I do both either together or alternatively. Change it up every 30 days to keep from plateauing. As far as eating back calories, I do do that because I'm at my goal weight & want to maintain it . Everyone is different, it's about trial & error. Just don't give up.
    :happy:
  • KPainter70
    KPainter70 Posts: 152
    Options
    When it comes to exercise, I think it's less important to do something you think you should do vs doing something you like. You'll stick with something you like, but if you're facing day after day of an exercise you despise, where's the motivation to keep going? Try different things until something makes you happy.

I have two close girlfriends who also work out - one loves swimming, one loves classes at the gym and I love my cardio and kettlebells at home. And we're all losing weight. You just have to find your "thing".
  • therobinator
    Options
    quite a few ppl suggested peanut butter to get my kcals up, as i started on 1200 and only now, after 6 weeks, did i let MFP calculate them and they're up by 430kcals a day - im somewhat used to 1200 so needed a high kcal low micro food

when i added peanut butter to my diary and asked ppl to take a look and give any advice, one person messaged me and said i was sabotaging myself and peanut butter is the worst thing ever, its full of salt and sugar and if i eat it, i am sure to gain weight
    There is nothing wrong with peanut butter, if you are eating good peanut butter. Yes, most national brands like Jiffy or Skippy are full of sugar and salt, but I personallt buy a brand that contains nothing but peanuts. Peanuts. Period. It's sodium free, sugar free and everything else free. Check it out: http://www.teddie.com/nutrition.html
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    That's because anyone can write a book or put out an exercise dvd and they don't have to have a degree in fitness or nutrition to do it. Most of what you read in popular media is garbage information or snippets of truth packaged in a lot of opinion. My best suggestion if you want to read about fitness and nutrition to figure out what you need to do is to go to your local university where they have an exercise science department. Even if you don't take their classes, buy their textbooks. What we learn in our classes is in the textbooks with references to the actual studies that prove it. The number one books I would recommend getting are:

ACSM Guidelines for Exercise Testing and Prescription
    Resource Manual for Guidelines for Exercise Testing and Prescription
    NSCA Essentials of Strength Training and Conditioning
    Nutrition for Health, Fitness, and Sport by Melvin Williams
    Clinical Exercise Physiology by Ehrman, Gordon, Visich, & Ketevian
    And any nutrition book by Janice Thompson (She has one that is more basic "Nutrition: An Applied Approach" and one that is more scientific "The Science of Nutrition" that we used in my nutrition minor and both are really good for breaking down the ins and outs of actual nutritional science.)
  • therobinator
    Options
    I have 3 simple rules, move more, eat less, and when faced with a choice, try to make the best one available.

I love this!
  • Angiebug1969
    Angiebug1969 Posts: 152
    Options
    That's because anyone can write a book or put out an exercise dvd and they don't have to have a degree in fitness or nutrition to do it. Most of what you read in popular media is garbage information or snippets of truth packaged in a lot of opinion. My best suggestion if you want to read about fitness and nutrition to figure out what you need to do is to go to your local university where they have an exercise science department. Even if you don't take their classes, buy their textbooks. What we learn in our classes is in the textbooks with references to the actual studies that prove it. The number one books I would recommend getting are:

ACSM Guidelines for Exercise Testing and Prescription
    Resource Manual for Guidelines for Exercise Testing and Prescription
    NSCA Essentials of Strength Training and Conditioning
    Nutrition for Health, Fitness, and Sport by Melvin Williams
    Clinical Exercise Physiology by Ehrman, Gordon, Visich, & Ketevian
    And any nutrition book by Janice Thompson (She has one that is more basic "Nutrition: An Applied Approach" and one that is more scientific "The Science of Nutrition" that we used in my nutrition minor and both are really good for breaking down the ins and outs of actual nutritional science.)

GREAT ADVICE!! Thanks for posting!
  • MistyMtnMan
    MistyMtnMan Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    What I can say for sure is make sure you do strength training at least 3 days a week. That's a must. Cardio I feel is bonus but your DIET is what will make changes the most. You can do cardio until you're blue in the face but if your diet is off you'll get frustrated.

It will take you some time to tweek your diet perfect but simple obvious rules that will never change is to limit white sugar, white bread, white flour all that stuff. Anything processed is bad, just read the labels and fast food will always be a no no of course. Once in a while is fine. I think that's a start then you can begin to experiment. I hope this helps.
  • gaeljo
    gaeljo Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Now you know why I went to a dietitian. Here is a truly great website for you: http://www.rochesternutrition.com/ remember, it is truly all about balanced eating, clean eating and a combination of strength and cardio training. Be blessed...
  • anulle2009
    anulle2009 Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    I have to agree with other posters, you find what works with your body. I read article after article and it gets overbearing. So honestly i stopped reading, Only thing now i look up are recipes for healthier cooking.