Protein Shakes

Options
khafez15
khafez15 Posts: 17 Member
how many times per day can I take Iso Whey Protein Shake? I take it 4 times per day. Is that safe?

Replies

• snaptate
    snaptate Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Protein shakes are safe but remember they are processed. You will not always absorb what is said to be in the mix. Everyone's body is different and % changes person to person. Make sure to make the most out of real whole foods...much more satisfying and filling.
  • khafez15
    Options
    Many thanks Snaptate. I do bodybuilding and my daily protein intake goal is 270gms, as my weight is 91.5kgs. I find it so hard to obtain 270gms from food. That's why I take 4 protein shake serves per day. I was wondering if this would affect my kidneys or liver (:
  • tamelakaye79
    tamelakaye79 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    khafez15 wrote: »
    Many thanks Snaptate. I do bodybuilding and my daily protein intake goal is 270gms, as my weight is 91.5kgs. I find it so hard to obtain 270gms from food. That's why I take 4 protein shake serves per day. I was wondering if this would affect my kidneys or liver (:
    My goal is 150 g/per day- so I don't need NEARLY as much as you do! I thought I would share some of my go-to snacks in case you don't incorporate these already:

Peppered beef jerky (30 g/per 1 oz)
    Kodiak Power Cakes Pancake mix
    Greek Yogurt
    Chia Seeds
    Quest Bars & Chips
    Combat Bars
    Cottage Cheese
    String Cheese
    Turkey Pepperoni
    Protein Shake (I do one per day post lifting)

If you have any I don't use- I would LOVE to hear them! ALWAYS looking for protein sources!!
  • khafez15
    Options
    My goal is 150 g/per day- so I don't need NEARLY as much as you do! I thought I would share some of my go-to snacks in case you don't incorporate these already:

Peppered beef jerky (30 g/per 1 oz)
    Kodiak Power Cakes Pancake mix
    Greek Yogurt
    Chia Seeds
    Quest Bars & Chips
    Combat Bars
    Cottage Cheese
    String Cheese
    Turkey Pepperoni
    Protein Shake (I do one per day post lifting)

If you have any I don't use- I would LOVE to hear them! ALWAYS looking for protein sources!!

Many thanks for sharing ur snaks list. I use many of these. I also use the following snaks:

Oat bars with yogurt and almond;
    Nuts;
    Smoked Salmon
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options

The first question I'd ask would be whether or not you need 270g protein per day.

What are you using to determine protein needs?
  • khafez15
    Options
    I take 3gms protein for kg of my weight
  • Crogirl_22
    Crogirl_22 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    How many meals do you have during your day? It would be much healthier to consume "natural sources" your body is used to.. pre and post workout or even in the morning are the only times it would make sense to use it ... ;-)
  • SideSteel
    Options
    Crogirl_22 wrote: »
    How many meals do you have during your day? It would be much healthier to consume "natural sources" your body is used to.. pre and post workout or even in the morning are the only times it would make sense to use it ... ;-)

Protein is still utilized and needed at times other than those you've listed. You can take whey protein in the evening and it will still be utilized.
  • SideSteel
    Options

I'd question the need for that high of a protein intake unless you're a very lean athlete trying to get even leaner. Then you MIGHT be able to make an argument for that high of a protein intake (I believe that's right around the upper end that Helms noted in his research paper but I'd need to dig that up again).

I doubt it would be "harmful" but you'd have to ask yourself if you'd adhere to your diet, or experience better performance in the gym, or both, were you to swap out some of those protein grams for an isocaloric amount of carbs/fats.

So for example if you reduced your protein to 1g/lb or 2.2g/kg and took those calories and put them into carbs/fats, would you have an easier time adhering to your diet OR would you experience greater gym performance and I'd suspect the answer COULD be yes to either of those.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

270g is towards the top end of what has been shown to be safe (assuming no pre-existing medical conditions) - I think 280g ish was looked at IIRC. Not saying that more is not safe, but that it has not really been studied at higher levels.

However, as SideSteel has noted, it is likely more than you would need (i.e. be able to utilize for MPS and other requirements) and you may well benefit from a different macro mix re adherence and gym performance, so I would go with his recommendations.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,835 Member
    Options
    SideSteel wrote: »

I'd question the need for that high of a protein intake unless you're a very lean athlete trying to get even leaner. Then you MIGHT be able to make an argument for that high of a protein intake (I believe that's right around the upper end that Helms noted in his research paper but I'd need to dig that up again).

I doubt it would be "harmful" but you'd have to ask yourself if you'd adhere to your diet, or experience better performance in the gym, or both, were you to swap out some of those protein grams for an isocaloric amount of carbs/fats.

So for example if you reduced your protein to 1g/lb or 2.2g/kg and took those calories and put them into carbs/fats, would you have an easier time adhering to your diet OR would you experience greater gym performance and I'd suspect the answer COULD be yes to either of those.

Totally agree.

Unless OP is "enhanced" and even then that is at the very upper limit.

More is not always better.
  • khafez15
    Options

I eat 3 main meals and two snaks per day. However, I would not be able to obtain 270gms of protein from natural food, unless I eat meat, chick or fish on every single meal and snak (;
  • khafez15
    Options
    SideSteel wrote: »

Protein is still utilized and needed at times other than those you've listed. You can take whey protein in the evening and it will still be utilized.

I agree with u side steel. But I prefer casein protein in the evening, as it takes longer to get digested, so it is a good source of protein during sleep.
  • khafez15
    Options
    Actually I follow different diet patterns throughout the year. During winter I take 2gms protein for each kg of my weight and 4gms of carb per each kg of weight, so my meals in winter are as follows: 25% protein; 25% vegetables; and 50% carbs. After following this diet for the winter (9 months) my weight is now 91.5kgs and I am 179cms tall. Now I am trying to follow a 3 months diet to get my muscles lean. I exercise 5 times per week and I take 3gms protein for each kg and 2gm carbs per each kg, and it is working very well with me (: