Question for Runners

Options
sam363
sam363 Posts: 204 Member
Do you run every day? How far? Do you do anything else for cardio/strength?

I ask because I am starting to train for a half marathon. It is August 21st and I will be follong Hal Higdon's intermediate training schedule. Right now I am getting my 3 miles base solid but after running a couple of days in a row I am finding that I am really sore and my right shin/kneee has been bothering me when I run. My rest day is Fridays and Mondays are a stretch and strength day. Should I add another rest day? I want to stay on track so any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks!

Replies

• loweelyn
    loweelyn Posts: 2
    Options
    What kind of shoes do you wear? That could be the problem.
  • bobbie228
    bobbie228 Posts: 53
    Options
    I use an app on my Droid called smatrt coach! It tailors a programs with the amount of time you have to train and the race type you are training for! I try to do cardio 6days a week so I usually skip my rest days! I, however, do take it easier those days. I also do light weight high reps weight lifting and ab work. I always always have a recovery day though which is Sunday for me!
  • getsveltEagain
    getsveltEagain Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options

Shoes are the most important part of running!
  • bobbie228
    bobbie228 Posts: 53
    Options

After I hit post I was thinking I should have asked this question! I absolutely love the Nike Free Run+
  • Asomething
    Asomething Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I'm only a novice runner, but I know lots of "real" runners - lol! I've heard run every other day (so you have a rest day in between), you can strength train in between, it's supposed to improve your performance. And, be sure to get properly fitted for GOOD shoes!!
  • sweetiepie31612
    sweetiepie31612 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I'm running my 1st half marathon in 2 weeks. I've been using this workout plan:
    http://www.marathonrookie.com/half-marathon-training.html

I found it works really well. I'm usually only sore after my long runs on Saturdays. Usually on my rest day though I'll go into the gym and just walk and do some arm strength training.
  • keinmehr
    keinmehr Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I run at least a little bit 5 times a week, with longer runs 3 times a week. On the days that I run less, I'm lifting weights or using the elliptical trainer along with it. I used to get really sore and have knee pain, until I went to a running/walking store and got some new shoes. They watched me run and recommended the best shoes for the style of running. Ever since, i've had no pain in my knees.

The shoes I got were Brooks Adrenaline GTS 11s. Highly recommended.
  • bbush18
    bbush18 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    before vacation, i was running 5-6 days a week 4-5 miles. every other day iwould incorporate intervals. i do have 2 pairs of running shoes i run in...i switch every day, to give the padding time to dry and regain form. I too love the Nike Free Run+!! :)
  • gaeljo
    gaeljo Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    You have inspired me to blog about this. You are the second person in 2 days ask this question. I've been runnig a LONG time and I'm here to tell you, spare no expense on your running shoes, go get properly fitted. Fleet Feet does a great job of this. Do NOT run every day, every other day is perfect. If you have shin splints, your body is telling you ENOUGH! Shin splints are tiny fractures, you are doing way too much too fast. Slow down a bit, hover at your 3 miles, you shouldn't add more than 10% of your mileage every week. 4 days a week is plenty of running, truly it is. If you MUST run 2 days in a row, then do hill repeats where you are forced to run slower with less pounding and will get an intense cardio workout. If you are an overweight runner, then you REALLY need to listen to me on this one. Have fun! Good luck with your 1/2 marathon. Gael
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    I'm training for a half-marathon and I find three times a week is plenty. I do resistance training, indoor cycling and swimming on my days off and have one full day of active rest, i.e. I'll do a power walk, core work or stretching.
  • sam363
    Options
    I'm running my 1st half marathon in 2 weeks. I've been using this workout plan:
    http://www.marathonrookie.com/half-marathon-training.html

I found it works really well. I'm usually only sore after my long runs on Saturdays. Usually on my rest day though I'll go into the gym and just walk and do some arm strength training.

Thanks! It looks similar to my schedule but a few more rest days. I might have to switch.

The shoes that I wear are Adidas running shoes - I don't remember which kind. I've had them for a year but it might be time to replace. Has anyone used Vibram FiveFingers Bikila running shoes? I was thinking of trying them.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    I run every day (43 day streak right now) usually around six miles. Some days are hard and some days are shorter and very easy for recovery. I am running in vibram five finger shoes.

The best thing you can do is concentrate on good running form. Good form is easier on the body and also uses less energy to run.

Land on the fore to midfoot, feet should land under, not in front of, your body, and stride quickly. The ideal goal is 180 or more steps per minute. At first, that will probably mean short steps. As you get used to the new form the stride will lengthen while still remaining fast and you will be able to run faster without pain.

See the videos here on what it looks like. http://www.barefootrunning.fas.harvard.edu/4BiomechanicsofFootStrike.html

Also, there is no need to run every day if you don't want to and if your body is telling you it is very tired or something hurts then it is a bad idea.
  • sam363
    Options
    I run at least a little bit 5 times a week, with longer runs 3 times a week. On the days that I run less, I'm lifting weights or using the elliptical trainer along with it. I used to get really sore and have knee pain, until I went to a running/walking store and got some new shoes. They watched me run and recommended the best shoes for the style of running. Ever since, i've had no pain in my knees.

The shoes I got were Brooks Adrenaline GTS 11s. Highly recommended.

Thanks! I think it might be time for new shoes. I will have to make sure that they can watch me run. Great advice!
  • sam363
    Options
    before vacation, i was running 5-6 days a week 4-5 miles. every other day iwould incorporate intervals. i do have 2 pairs of running shoes i run in...i switch every day, to give the padding time to dry and regain form. I too love the Nike Free Run+!! :)

Huh, I never thought of that.
  • sam363
    Options
    You have inspired me to blog about this. You are the second person in 2 days ask this question. I've been runnig a LONG time and I'm here to tell you, spare no expense on your running shoes, go get properly fitted. Fleet Feet does a great job of this. Do NOT run every day, every other day is perfect. If you have shin splints, your body is telling you ENOUGH! Shin splints are tiny fractures, you are doing way too much too fast. Slow down a bit, hover at your 3 miles, you shouldn't add more than 10% of your mileage every week. 4 days a week is plenty of running, truly it is. If you MUST run 2 days in a row, then do hill repeats where you are forced to run slower with less pounding and will get an intense cardio workout. If you are an overweight runner, then you REALLY need to listen to me on this one. Have fun! Good luck with your 1/2 marathon. Gael

Thanks! I am prone to shin splints and I do have "holes" in both of my legs. My running pace is VERY slow because I know that if I run too fast I will be in severe pain. I will be speed working only 1 time per week on my treadmill and not for long distances. My shoes might be the cause - they are getting old and have many miles on them right now.
  • jeffrodgers1
    jeffrodgers1 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    A couple of things...

1. Go to a professional running shop... Running Room, Fleet Feet etc. Get them to look at the way you run (on treadmill, sidewalk etc). Then have them fit you in appropriate shoes. When you run, your feet are pounding the pavement thousands of times, over and over again. The force of each plant is as much as 7 times your body weight per square inch... put it together now and say OUCH! Yeah... properly fitted in the right shoes is the best thing you can do to prepare yourself for running (short of going barefoot).

2. As a beginning runner, when you are starting out, you need to listen to your body. If it says OUCH, listen. It means you are doing too much too soon. I was just as guilty of this as anyone else when I first started... I ended up with shin splints, IT Band issues etc in the first 6 months of running. If it hurts, back off until it doesn't hurt as much.

3. Build slowly. Never exceed last weeks mileage by more than 10%. You risk injury if you do.

4. Warm up, dynamic stretching, run, cool down, static stretching. If you are like me (and not a spring chicken), you forgot that time catches up and we can't do what we did when we were teenagers or children. We need that extra time to limber up.

5. R-I-C-E Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation. This is the way to treat most sports injuries and is safe to do for even the most simple boo boo's. In fact I do this after my stretching regiment after most workouts. I know my trouble spots and may as well be proactive about it.

6. Don't be afraid to only run every other day while you are starting out... allow those little nicks extra time to heal up. In my case, life happens, trying to squeeze in a run is easier if it doesn't happen every day.

Hope this helps! Running is an easy, fun way to get all of your exercise in (when done safely). If something lingers longer than you feel it should, it doesn't hurt to get a Doctor, or Physio to look at it either.

Cheers,

To Your Health!
  • mpj485
    mpj485 Posts: 15
    Options
    I am new to running, just began 3 weeks ago. I am preparing for a 5k in June. I found a novice runner schedule online and am feeling successful. I only run 3 days a week; on the off days I walk, lift weights, go to zumba class. I just continue with my usual workouts and take one day off, sometimes two, a week.
  • JennBennett410
    Options
    GOOD Luck to you! I just finished my first half marathon. I had an app on my IPHONE that helped me train. I ran 6 days a week except for the week before my race (where I only ran 1...I also had a knee injury!)
    GOOD LUCK!
  • krislshoe
    krislshoe Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    bumping to read later:)
  • ShaeDetermined
    ShaeDetermined Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    A couple of things...

1. Go to a professional running shop... Running Room, Fleet Feet etc. Get them to look at the way you run (on treadmill, sidewalk etc). Then have them fit you in appropriate shoes. When you run, your feet are pounding the pavement thousands of times, over and over again. The force of each plant is as much as 7 times your body weight per square inch... put it together now and say OUCH! Yeah... properly fitted in the right shoes is the best thing you can do to prepare yourself for running (short of going barefoot).

2. As a beginning runner, when you are starting out, you need to listen to your body. If it says OUCH, listen. It means you are doing too much too soon. I was just as guilty of this as anyone else when I first started... I ended up with shin splints, IT Band issues etc in the first 6 months of running. If it hurts, back off until it doesn't hurt as much.

3. Build slowly. Never exceed last weeks mileage by more than 10%. You risk injury if you do.

4. Warm up, dynamic stretching, run, cool down, static stretching. If you are like me (and not a spring chicken), you forgot that time catches up and we can't do what we did when we were teenagers or children. We need that extra time to limber up.

5. R-I-C-E Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation. This is the way to treat most sports injuries and is safe to do for even the most simple boo boo's. In fact I do this after my stretching regiment after most workouts. I know my trouble spots and may as well be proactive about it.

6. Don't be afraid to only run every other day while you are starting out... allow those little nicks extra time to heal up. In my case, life happens, trying to squeeze in a run is easier if it doesn't happen every day.

Hope this helps! Running is an easy, fun way to get all of your exercise in (when done safely). If something lingers longer than you feel it should, it doesn't hurt to get a Doctor, or Physio to look at it either.

Cheers,

To Your Health!

you said everything i was going to say, and way more succinctly! :wink:

we tend to underestimate good running shoes. i was running in asics and loving them, not realizing that my knee pain was due to wearing the wrong sneakers. i went to jack rabbit and got fitted, turns out i overpronate and i now wear a stability shoe (brooks adrenaline) - my knee pain is practically gone and i can run 10miles with no problem which i couldnt before.

stretching is also key (dynamic before, static after), for all workouts, not just running.

Good Luck! :drinker: