Options

Replies

• PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Well this was an interesting read.

I went to school in the dark ages.

I think I learned stuff, but don't remember what it was.

I remember my mother weighing food using a postage scale at some point.

I remember when she put me on a diet when I was 13 having very little food and always feeling hungry.

I think I was aware of the concept of calories, but I don't know if that was from home or from school.

I'm also bound to the earth by the theory of gravity and love the theory of evolution. Does that cover it all?

Oh, can I just ask... Is the "theory" person a young earther? Oh, that would be such a gift after the Cheerio thread closed.
  • panda4153
    panda4153 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    My kids schools do teach about basic nutrition. I do not want them teaching about weight loss though. I think there is nothing wrong with teaching about how to be healthy, but kids in most cases should not be taught that they need to lose weight. In some cases yes, but that should be a plan between the parents and the child's doctor. Children have different developmental needs then adults, and as a parent I would not want any school or teacher discussing weight loss with my children.

The fact is that kids for the most part do naturally regulate, especially when they are young. It is learned behavior to overeat, and it usually learned at home.
  • BeautifulLoser1985
    BeautifulLoser1985 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Kids do what they see to an extent... If the school is advertising/serving unhealthy foods or proportions they will probably assume it is ok. The same goes with at home. You really need to teach the children this yourself. If unhealthy eating is being advocated at school, you need to teach them how to judge eating on their own, so they are equipped with the knowledge they need to make their own healthy decisions. It is a parent's job. We can't control their environments, but we can help them know how to assess them correctly.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I was taught about nutrition to a degree and had a physical education class every year. I even had a required wellness class in college. Still got fat as an adult. Still wanted to believe miracles could happen and I could eat lots and not move.

The information about cico is out there for anyone looking for it. They just have to accept it as being that simple.
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    It makes me angry that we aren't all taught the basics about weight regulation, nutrition and fitness as children.

My grandmother never got past grade 2 (literally) - even she understood that you can't put it on if you don't put it in.

You don't need "school" for something this basic.

I'm afraid you're overestimating the common sense of most of the population.

I don't think I am.

I think you're underestimating the willingness of the population to be fat and out of shape if it means an extra slice of pizza or bowl of Haagen Dasz.

This.

• tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    my cousin was taught nutrition and wellness (in i think gym class). he totally took it in and is annoying his mom with it, lol :) and actually it's good, it is influencing how they both eat. kids teach their parents stuff too.

it's possible this was available during my time (i have no idea, i usually skipped gym).
  • sugaraddict4321
    sugaraddict4321 Posts: 15,720 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I grew up in the era where the food pyramid emphasized grains and we were told to eat margarine instead of butter. Schools are just providing the information that the government makes them provide, and sometimes we learn better information down the road. CICO would not have made much difference for me, even in high school. Kids and even young adults should be aware of course, but obsessing about every calorie is not healthy either. ;)
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    I have a 7-year-old and I'm teaching him moderation and knowing your hunger cues to not over eat while I'm teaching myself... It's hard because I swear he eats more calories than I do on a daily basis but he's soooooo skinny so he thinks he has nothing to worry about.
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options

Did Happy Harold teach cico? Or does he only teach kids not to do drugs.
    1vpth3vjj4hr.jpg

The only thing I can remember learning about food in school was the food pyramid and like 5 fruit and veg or what ever.

Nothing as specific as cico, just more general eating healthy.
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    Did Happy Harold teach cico? Or does he only teach kids not to do drugs.
    1vpth3vjj4hr.jpg

The only thing I can remember learning about food in school was the food pyramid and like 5 fruit and veg or what ever.

Nothing as specific as cico, just more general eating healthy.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    3laine75 wrote: »
    JenniDaisy wrote: »
    If you can't get some schools to teach sex ed or the theory of evolution, I don't think you're going to get them to teach kids how to nourish their bodies properly.

Maybe because it is the theory of evolution... Not the fact of evolution...

Anyway, that's faith schools. I'm sure it's not against any religion to talk about eating and exercise.

Nope. True story - one of our biology teachers refused to teach the evolution section of the S grades and Highers. She was also one of the RE teachers O.o

(they did get another teacher in, didn't just skip it (as in the case of the above poster XD))

I know Catholic schools don't like kids to know anything except God created us! Plus of course their teaching of sex ed can depend on how strict a school it is. However, I'm sure Catholics believe in healthy eating and exercise :)
  • DawnieB1977
    Options
    If you can't get some schools to teach sex ed or the theory of evolution, I don't think you're going to get them to teach kids how to nourish their bodies properly.

oh my god please tell me you didn't just say that

Dude, I told you - this is a country that passed a federal law declaring pizza a vegetable - what did you expect?

hahaha oh god I thought that was a joke

*sheds a tear*

EDIT: they're basing it on the fact it has tomato sauce right? Surely then it should be a fruit

I watched 'Fed Up' and learned this fact. Shocked at the school lunches in the US and thanking my lucky stars I'm English :)
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,835 Member
    Options
    May have changed now (I'm 32) but we were taught the laws of thermo dynamics but this was never applied to nutrition (or exercise). That was straight up basic science.

(I didn't elect to do PE or anything like that so maybe some basics were taught there)

However, you still have so many people that think they are special snowflakes and that CICO doesn't apply to them that it may be difficult to get approval to be put in the curriculum.
  • TMcChamp
    TMcChamp Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Isn't/wasn't it healthy harold?
    Anyway, I grew up and schooled in a low socio economic area of Straya where the obesity is much higher, we didn't learn about cico. It was only at 29 when i wanted to not be fat anymore and dr google taught me.
  • cincysweetheart
    cincysweetheart Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    ljs385 wrote: »
    Umm yeah, it is. We teach about physical, social and emotional health actually.

*mini rant moment*
    Why do schools have more and more responsibility chucked at them?! Is it too much to ask parents to parent?!
    *rant over over*

I get confused/frustrated by people who say they have no idea how to eat healthy… I often wonder about what kind of school they went to. I remember being taught about basic nutrition and a "balanced diet" in school, but I don't ever remember being taught about CICO in terms of weight management.

However… I had a wonderful mother who also taught me all about that stuff. And I realize that a vast majority of my "education" came from my mother. I didn't follow her advice very well as I grew up… But I always had the information. So once, I made the choice… I already knew what I needed to do.
  • julie2407
    julie2407 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    EWJLang wrote: »

Oh, FFS. Get an education from REAL books. Gravity is a theory too, and look at your bad self, on the ground.
    A scientific theory is not a hypothesis. Go learn real big grown-up science words, kay?

Bahahaha, yes.

• Tabithas_Transformation
    Tabithas_Transformation Posts: 93 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    UK Here - England, Berks.

Got the food pyramid in Reception. At least once a year we'd talk about nutrition in PSHE classes up to year 6 when they talked about nutrition, calories and what a calorie is in Biology. We also did some bunson burner experiments to demonstrate calorie measurements in Year 6 Physics.

Had at least yearly PSHE sessions on eating disorders (over and under eating) and how to regulate the amount you're eating through calories from Year 8 upwards (age 13+ so it was a bit more appropriate). Plus another mention of nutrition in the run up to GCSE (Years 10 and 11 - age 14-16).

I went to several different schools in England as we moved around a lot and this was pretty standard plus part of the curriculum from what I understand. I was at school within the last 10 years though so maybe it's not where you went to school but when?

Also - despite the education, still felt the need to cut everything out to lose weight before a stern nurse at the NHS told me to just eat a balanced diet. Oh, and on the NHS, have you forgotten the Change 4 Life initiative that's been running for the last few years with adverts on telly every few months? http://www.nhs.uk/change4life/pages/be-food-smart.aspx

The education is there! It's just getting people to listen that's the problem!

ETA: Yup, part of the curriculum: http://www.nutrition.org.uk/foodinschools/curriculum/the-curriculum.html
  • DawnieB1977
    Options
    Ravachu wrote: »
    UK Here - England, Berks.

Got the food pyramid in Reception. At least once a year we'd talk about nutrition in PSHE classes up to year 6 when they talked about nutrition, calories and what a calorie is in Biology. We also did some bunson burner experiments to demonstrate calorie measurements in Year 6 Physics.

Had at least yearly PSHE sessions on eating disorders (over and under eating) and how to regulate the amount you're eating through calories from Year 8 upwards (age 13+ so it was a bit more appropriate). Plus another mention of nutrition in the run up to GCSE (Years 10 and 11 - age 14-16).

I went to several different schools in England as we moved around a lot and this was pretty standard plus part of the curriculum from what I understand. I was at school within the last 10 years though so maybe it's not where you went to school but when?

Also - despite the education, still felt the need to cut everything out to lose weight before a stern nurse at the NHS told me to just eat a balanced diet. Oh, and on the NHS, have you forgotten the Change 4 Life initiative that's been running for the last few years with adverts on telly every few months? http://www.nhs.uk/change4life/pages/be-food-smart.aspx

The education is there! It's just getting people to listen that's the problem!

ETA: Yup, part of the curriculum: http://www.nutrition.org.uk/foodinschools/curriculum/the-curriculum.html

My son is in year 1, and they talked about healthy food in reception, and now him and his sister ask it about everything. 'Is this healthy mummy?'. I did laugh when my husband bought some white bread for some reason (we always buy whole meal) and my kids refused to eat it as it wasn't healthy. Course, that didn't stop them from eating an entire Easter egg on Sunday.....

He came home with one of those Change 4 Life leaflets, and it had suggestions like 'swap full fat fizzy drinks for diet ones', 'swap whole milk for skimmed', 'swap to low fat yogurt' etc. um, how about kids drink water? And there's nothing wrong with full fat milk or yogurt.
  • Tabithas_Transformation
    Tabithas_Transformation Posts: 93 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    @DawnieB1977

Hahaha - maybe the little play-doh children in the adverts are too picky for water? :wink:

To be fair, have to agree that some of that initiative does the traditional demonisation of sugar and fat but I think that's more trying to pander to the fad-hungry dieters. I like their basic message of eating less/moving more though :smiley:
  • DawnieB1977
    Options
    Ravachu wrote: »
    @DawnieB1977

Hahaha - maybe the little play-doh children in the adverts are too picky for water? :wink:

To be fair, have to agree that some of that initiative does the traditional demonisation of sugar and fat but I think that's more trying to pander to the fad-hungry dieters. I like their basic message of eating less/moving more though :smiley:

Ha, my kids don't need to be told that! We walked (they scootered) nearly 5 miles on Mon. And they played in the park. They weren't even tired. They're like the energiser bunny. And they like water.

The message probably helps for families who are lazy and eat too much crap. My husband would have a meltdown if I bought flora instead of butter lol.