please help. dieting and exercising but not losing

Hi there
Im currently18 st and started a diet myfitnesspal says i can eat 2510 calories a day. I dont go to this most days normally stay around 2000. I go to the gym 3 times a week. Mainly on cardio but do some lifting as well. I have a relatively active job been doing this nearly 4 weeks now and still havnt lost a lb.please help

Replies

• JordisTSM
    JordisTSM Posts: 359 Member
    Hiya
    OK, first off, can you please make your diary public? Will make it much easier for people to give you constructive advice.
    Next, a few questions:-
    1. Are you weighing your food or just measuring/eyeballing portions?
    2. Are you eating back your exercise calories? If so, how are you calculating the burn numbers?
    3. What activity level did you select when you set up your MFP account?
    4. What are your stats? Height/weight/age etc.
  • wgrundle
    wgrundle Posts: 4
    1 Yep weighing everything as both me and my wifes doing the diet. Shes losing quite abit

2 no im eating aroud 1800-2000 cals. Even on exercise days i have a fitbit charge hr which tells you how many cals your burning throughout the day by checking your pulse constantly. But i kinda dont look at the cals burned as i not using them to eat more.

3 i put active as i have a active job ie lifting heavy boxes most of the day

4 6foot 3 18st 5lb. 34 years of age

Thanks for taking the time to help
  • fearlessleader104
    fearlessleader104 Posts: 723 Member
    Eat less and move more.
  • wgrundle
    wgrundle Posts: 4
    Wow thanks fearlessleader.
  • fearlessleader104
    fearlessleader104 Posts: 723 Member
    Anytime. Good luck
  • JordisTSM
    edited April 2015
    OK, I think your calorie goal is fine - I'm no expert though, but just popping your stats in to a calculator it looks about right.

However, your logging is all over the place. Looking back in your diary, you have a number of days with no logging at all, and a lot where it appears you've only partially logged your food for the day. You're going to have to tighten that up before you have any chance of success. I know logging sucks, but it is the only way to be sure you are maintaining a calorie deficit.

In addition, a couple of items you have logged seem to be a bit suspect. We all wish that the food database is accurate, but the reality is that it is not. Every user can add entries, and they're not always correct. Try to stick to entries without * next to them, and it doesn't hurt to double-check against packets and/or the USDA website. Also, log each item individually. As an example, one item in your diary is: Harvest Morn - Granola Tropical Fruits, 45 g with semi skimmed milk. How much semi-skimmed milk is included in this database item? How do you know you used the same amount? Best idea is to weigh out 45g of the cereal, log that, then measure (using measuring cups) how much milk you want, and then log that.

So, here's your list to start with:-
    1. Log every single item that goes in your mouth. Every. Single. Thing. Every. Single. Day. No exceptions!
    2. Double-check every database item until you have built up a recent foods list that you are absolutely sure is accurate.
    3. Use digital food scales to weigh everything except liquids, which you need to use measuring cups for.
    4. Do NOT use any 'generic' database items, or any recipes from the database. Enter every single ingredient yourself.

These may seem a bit of overkill, but if you can do this for a month, and maintain your deficit, you should see results. Once you have these habits in place, you may be able to ease up a bit.

Good luck!

ETA: Sorry, I meant to measure liquids in mls, not cups.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Some of the items you've logged have errors in - not your fault, but check carefully for example that Asda's sausages have protein in the database entry. If not try a different entry or make your own.

No weight loss after 4 weeks. Hmm. Personally I would try eating less cereals, bread and fruit and more fat / protein. How about bacon and egg for breakfast for example ? All calories are not the same in terms of their effect on your body's chemistry and hormones.
  • yarwell
    jordistsm wrote: »
    3. Use digital food scales to weigh everything except liquids, which you need to use measuring cups for.

Scales weigh liquids equally well, I wouldn't bother with "cups" but then I'm not American.

• JordisTSM
    yarwell wrote: »

Scales weigh liquids equally well, I wouldn't bother with "cups" but then I'm not American.

Oh, yeah, "cups" is fairly useless. I measure using mls. And for the record, I don't Op is American (picking he's a Brit), and I'm a Kiwi, so I think we're all good :smile:
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,262 Member
    hiyah, until you log every single day consistently you wont see where the errors are. Use the app to scan your foods to ensure as accurate as possible, and also use food scales. good luck
  • Therealobi1
    Some of the items you've logged have errors in - not your fault, but check carefully for example that Asda's sausages have protein in the database entry. If not try a different entry or make your own.

No weight loss after 4 weeks. Hmm. Personally I would try eating less cereals, bread and fruit and more fat / protein. How about bacon and egg for breakfast for example ? All calories are not the same in terms of their effect on your body's chemistry and hormones.

often heard people say eat less bread, but never less fruit. this is a new one on me.
    Op regardless of what u eat, if u dont log it accurately nothing will change.
  • The body laying still for a day only requires 1200 calories, just for bodily functions, in order to gain 1lbs of fat u must retain 3000 calories, this means you're eating just enough to not gain weight but also not lose. 2500 is a lot of calories to be taking in a day, so even if u only taking in 2000 and ur not losing weight it means u are not exercising enough, which means u need to burn over 800 calories a day, OR bring your calorie count down too 1750 and maintain your work outs . I have had many eating orders in the past so I have studied these subjects way to much. Just remember to not let this take over your life . It can become addictive, especially when you want to see results quickly.
  • yarwell wrote: »

often heard people say eat less bread, but never less fruit. this is a new one on me.

fruits high in sugars! Should be eaten in a 1:3 ratio to veggies :)
  • yarwell

pleased to be of assistance. The guy ate 500 cals of fruit in snacks alone one day, taking him over the UK RDI for sugar. He isn't losing weight. Let's guess that he might be insulin resistant, pre-diabetic or worse and take a punt on restricting carbohydrate as an experiment.
  • Therealobi1

pleased to be of assistance. The guy ate 500 cals of fruit in snacks alone one day, taking him over the UK RDI for sugar. He isn't losing weight. Let's guess that he might be insulin resistant, pre-diabetic or worse and take a punt on restricting carbohydrate as an experiment.

and if he hasnt any illness?
  • Therealobi1
    edited April 2015

fruits high in sugars! Should be eaten in a 1:3 ratio to veggies :)

alot of people turn to fruits instead of sweets when changing their diets. if you do not have any conditions why would u care about sugar in fruits
  • ChrisM8971
    ChrisM8971 Posts: 1,067 Member
    I would read this first and try accuracy for a couple of weeks

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1234699/logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide

If still no weight loss then maybe look at changing other things
  • yarwell

and if he hasnt any illness?

"illness" is an emotive phrase, he's very likely to be insulin resistant given his weight (I am and he's heavier than I was)

lxc2lxo9gjos.jpg

Please remember that the public health message to "eat more fruit" is aimed at the 50% of people who don't even get to 1 piece per day, not the 98% outliers like this guy. Either way, he's over the RDI for sugars.

• ChrisM8971
    edited April 2015
    The body laying still for a day only requires 1200 calories, just for bodily functions, in order to gain 1lbs of fat u must retain 3000 calories, this means you're eating just enough to not gain weight but also not lose. 2500 is a lot of calories to be taking in a day, so even if u only taking in 2000 and ur not losing weight it means u are not exercising enough, which means u need to burn over 800 calories a day, OR bring your calorie count down too 1750 and maintain your work outs . I have had many eating orders in the past so I have studied these subjects way to much. Just remember to not let this take over your life . It can become addictive, especially when you want to see results quickly.

For his height, weight and age 2500 is not a lot of calories, I am shorter, lighter and older, lead a mainly sedentary lifestyle (drive for a living) and still lose about 1/2 lb per week on 2000 calories per day plus any exercise calories that I eat back.
  • yarwell
    alot of people turn to fruits instead of sweets when changing their diets. if you do not have any conditions why would u care about sugar in fruits

he has a condition - obesity. Fruits may be better than sweets, but I wouldn't start from there either. Fruits are mainly water so the concentration is less, but the sugars within are The Same Thing (tm).
  • JordisTSM
    The body laying still for a day only requires 1200 calories, just for bodily functions, in order to gain 1lbs of fat u must retain 3000 calories, this means you're eating just enough to not gain weight but also not lose. 2500 is a lot of calories to be taking in a day, so even if u only taking in 2000 and ur not losing weight it means u are not exercising enough, which means u need to burn over 800 calories a day, OR bring your calorie count down too 1750 and maintain your work outs . I have had many eating orders in the past so I have studied these subjects way to much. Just remember to not let this take over your life . It can become addictive, especially when you want to see results quickly.

You're seriously suggesting that a 6'3", 252lb guy only requires 1,200 calories per day? I would love to see your sources on that.

Op, please ignore this.
  • clockworkgeisha
    clockworkgeisha Posts: 48 Member
    The UK RDI for sugars seems very low though - I worked out that if I get my 'five a day' as three veg and two fruit in the appropriate portion sizes (and colours, apparently that's a thing now too), I'd go over my RDI.
  • CharleePear
    CharleePear Posts: 1,948 Member
    As a lot of people have said, get really tight on your weighing and logging. But first do it for your heart, your self esteem, believe you are worthy of a healthy lifestyle, because if you are seeing this as a diet, you will fail, you might lose weight but chances are you won't keep it off. I have lost 40kg, but it took me 8 years, why? Because I would lose and gain and lose and gain, yo-yoing all over the place. I found my most success when I found foods I love that were great for me and not looking for "how much can I get away with". Love yourself first, thats the key.
    Also I just wanted to add, the last 15 kg, it still took me 18 months or so, it was fast, it actually took me personally 2 months to see my first results, and even those were small, but believe me, your body is changing even if you don't see it on the scale. Take regular photos, lift weights, don't just stick to cardio...also don't use the calculator on here, use IIFYM.com/calc for your calculations, then you can customise it on here. Usually people don't have their proteins high enough.
    Just a few things I have learned on the way.
  • JordisTSM

"illness" is an emotive phrase, he's very likely to be insulin resistant given his weight (I am and he's heavier than I was)

I'm way heavier than either of you, and am NOT insulin resistant. If Op is at all concerned about this, he should see his doctor.

Honestly, until Op has his logging sorted, he should be focusing on CICO. Once he's got that sorted, then macros can come in to it.
  • ChrisM8971
    This is just my opinion but log with a computer to start with because it is far easier to identify the MFP entries over the user entries than it is with the app. Also be very careful if you use the bar code scanner on the app because it just links to an entry on this site not the published nutritional information for the food in question and is just as likely to be inaccurate as any of the member entries on here
  • markiend
    markiend Posts: 461 Member
    Tighten up the logging and I think you will start to see benefits. That means weighing everything that goes into your mouth

Estimating calorie burns is very, very hard which is why most will tell you to only eat a % of them back

Luckily your wife is also on the health kick with you , so give it a month of really tight logging and I feel sure you will see results or at the very least , point us ( and you ) in the direction where you are going wrong ( if at all)

good luck
  • magneticreikipaul
    magneticreikipaul Posts: 61 Member
    i've lost 4 kg in 3 weeks my food choice might seem boring but it works

this is all i eat every day

breakfast
    4-5 slices of turkey bacon with 4-5 egg whites
    2 slices of either whole grain or ezeikel bread with peanut butter

lunch slow cooker chicken salsa with broccoli or kale or spinach

dinner fish with brocolli & spinach & soy sauce

2 cups of coffee per day

2 litres of water every day

fat free yogurt with frozen fruit & stevia mixed in blender for afters

30 minutes cardio 5-6 times per week
    strength training 5 days per week

vitamins 1 multi vitamin 1 x lysine 1x L cartinine 1 x 1 x L - arginane 1 x magnesium 2 x sea kelp

no cheat meals no crap no chocolate no cakes no buiscuits no faffing around

pop over to buff dudes on you tube to see more great ideas

no i dont log my diary on here nor exercise my choice
  • Therealobi1

I'm way heavier than either of you, and am NOT insulin resistant. If Op is at all concerned about this, he should see his doctor.

Honestly, until Op has his logging sorted, he should be focusing on CICO. Once he's got that sorted, then macros can come in to it.

i agree with this. I started off obese and I really just kept this thing simple as anything complicated I wont bother with. (I didnt have any illness to contend with though). I ate all the things that i usually ate but tried my best to stick to the daily targets and when i did the weight dropped off. I never tracked sugar, fat or any of those things.
  • yarwell
    The UK RDI for sugars seems very low though - I worked out that if I get my 'five a day' as three veg and two fruit in the appropriate portion sizes (and colours, apparently that's a thing now too), I'd go over my RDI.

the Aussie RDI is the same, two fruit wasn't envisaged in five a day that crept in to soften the message but two bananas aren't half of 90 grams of sugar either.

Most fruit is 10% or less sugar so 90g of sugars is 900g or 2 lbs of fruit per day. Really ?
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    I dont see why this has been turned into a debate about fruit. Jord has been very helpful and having looked at his diary its obvious the logging is poor and incomplete. If he OP ever wants to lose weight with calorie counting, then he needs to get that in order for him to control his deficit. Once he masters logging properly then he can consider reducing his consumption.