Is this possible?

Options
I have been have a great month working out. Eating well and losing weight. Yesterday for the first time in over a month I decided I would sit down with the kids and have a couple of chocolate chip cookies we made together. Today I am up three pounds from my last weigh in??? Really did three cookies cause me to gain three pounds? Feeling Frustrated.

Replies

• Sunshine_Girlie
    Sunshine_Girlie Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    Are you weighing in at the same time on the same scale? This can have a bearing. Also, something else to think about, what kind of nutritional value did those cookies have? Your body may not be used to it and just go crazy. I'm sure it'll come off soon.
  • Jalachri
    Jalachri Posts: 47
    Options
    I do that sometimes. Just do good again the rest of the week and you will be fine. Seriously I bet if you weigh tomorrow morning you will be back to where you were :) We all screw up once in awhile and really if you worked out the 3 cookies shouldnt matter this time!
  • melissaogdenrhode
    Options
    Naah....may be water retention. did you have milk too? Drinking a lot of water can do that too but it subsides quickly.
  • kajun_at_work
    kajun_at_work Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Unless those 3 cookies had over 10,000 calories in them, it is impossible.
  • savvystephy
    savvystephy Posts: 4,151 Member
    Options
    You'd need 3500 * 3 to gain three pounds (+ your usual deficit). I bet you're just holding on to some extra water. You can totally have a sweet treat once in a while and it'll be fine.
  • morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    Are you eating to enough?

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10589-for-those-confused-or-questioning-eating-your-exercise-calo

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/61706-guide-to-calorie-deficit

This is just a part of it! please read the link above

Generally someone with a BMI over 32 can do a 1000 calorie a day (2 lbs a week) deficit
    With a BMI of 30 to 32 a deficit of 750 calories is generally correct (about 1.5 lbs a week)
    With a BMI of 28 to 30 a deficit of 500 calories is about right (about 1 lb a week)
    With a BMI of 26 to 28 a deficit of about 300 calories is perfect (about 1/2 lb a week)
    and below 26... well this is where we get fuzzy. See now you're no longer talking about being overweight, so while it's still ok to have a small deficit, you really should shift your focus more towards muscle tone, and reducing fat. This means is EXTRA important to eat your exercise calories as your body needs to KNOW it's ok to burn fat stores, and the only way it will know is if you keep giving it the calories it needs to not enter the famine response (starvation mode)

Also this might be helpful http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/00trayn/view/how-to-bust-a-3-month-plateau-87677

Good luck on your journey
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I have been have a great month working out. Eating well and losing weight. Yesterday for the first time in over a month I decided I would sit down with the kids and have a couple of chocolate chip cookies we made together. Today I am up three pounds from my last weigh in??? Really did three cookies cause me to gain three pounds? Feeling Frustrated.

No. It's probably just water weight. Just get back in your routine and it will likely come right back off in a day or two.
  • sharidiane
    sharidiane Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    You might stop and think about *why* you stopped and had those cookies? Could there be a hormonal element to consider? I know that at about the same time I am craving chocolate, I am also holding on to a couple of pounds of water. Lovely. Check back in about a week, and I bet you'll be happy.
  • flutterqueen04
    Options
    It most definitely not fat weight. Like stated before those cookies would have had to have a ton of calories for you to gain 3 lbs in less than 24 hours. It is most likely water retention from the extra sodium and bad carbs/sugar those cookies contained. Just drink water like its candy and you should be back to the right weight in no time. :)
  • Angela_MA
    Angela_MA Posts: 260
    Options
    NO!!! 3 cookies is not going to ruin your diet and have you add pounds!!! I had an ice cream cone yesterday and I am still at my weight. As other posts suggested it is probably due to water retention. Just try and drink more water to flush out your system. :)
  • bmiller211
    bmiller211 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    hi sally worst feeling in the world hey...3 cookies is only about 210 calories so there is no way that could make you put on 3 lbs again as in other replies just forget it and go on as this is an anomaly I for one applaud your month of doing great and tend to forget the one slip...keep up the great work!!:smile:
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    The carbs in the cookies will cause your body to retain water. It will balance itself out after a few days.
  • sally125
    sally125 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the kind words. I know that it really isn't the three cookies that the calories alone couldn't do it. It just seemed crappy timing and bummed me out. Water Water Water is my chant for today and no more cookies for me.

Hope everyone has a great day.