So let me get this straight

Options
My BMI is around 40. I need to take in at least 1000 net calories (after exercise) to keep my body out of starvation mode??

Replies

• getsveltEagain
    getsveltEagain Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options
    You need to take in 1200 calories (not net) on any given day for that message. That message is to prevent starvation mode,but it won't happen after one day. :flowerforyou:
  • cfer843625
    cfer843625 Posts: 57
    Options
    just wondering but how did you come up with this number?? the way I understand it is, you should not make it a habit of staying below the calorie intake suggested on MFP. and to always to eat the extra calories burned by exercise.
  • ANewLucia
    ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't say eat all the exercise calories but at least half...
  • Fattack
    Fattack Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    At a BMI of 40, it'll be a lot higher than that. The LOWEST recommended NET by MFP is 1200. Just do what the website tells you regarding your net to start off with, as you become more informed you can probably modify it slightly.

Feel free to eat all your exercise calories as long as you aren't (or MFP isn't) overestimating your efforts, there's no reason why you shouldn't eat them all provided the estimates are accurate :) I eat all of mine, and it's not affected my losses at all.
  • cerysrhi
    cerysrhi Posts: 262
    Options
    I was always told to eat as near to your calories as you can at the end of the day your aim is to have 0 calories left but to prevent starvation mode (which wont set in after 1 day) you need to consume 1200 cals net
  • mfkfoster
    mfkfoster Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I would say at least 1200 calories, net., but I would eat at least some of your calories back from exercise. I've notice people that eat their exercise cals back lose more weight and tend to keep it off. I still have a problem with it but I'm trying!
  • young1726
    young1726 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Change your number to 1200 and you're spot on. But seriously, I would recommend eating whatever this site suggests. If you want pretty reliable results, then just do it.
  • Purple_Orchid_87
    Purple_Orchid_87 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    My starting BMI was over 40 - i am 6ft 1 tall
    i went and did my own goals, setting them to just 1200
    in the first 5 weeks i lost 23lbs then i hit a wall - no loss for 2 weeks- think ive entered slight starvation mode
    after 2 weeks of no loss, i went through mfp guided goals
    it put me up to 1630kcals on a sedetary lifestyle
    im not a big exercise person, and have a desk job
    im finding it hard to eat the 1630 but i'm getting there - the extra 430 can be hard to have without going over other micros, but i'm finding balance

Most important (personally) is to make sure you put the correct lifestyle into MFP - some ppl put that they are very active, when they only think they are, and so mfp calculates a higher intake NET than they really need
  • EmilyAnn89
    EmilyAnn89 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    At a BMI of 40, it'll be a lot higher than that. The LOWEST recommended NET by MFP is 1200. Just do what the website tells you regarding your net to start off with, as you become more informed you can probably modify it slightly.

Feel free to eat all your exercise calories as long as you aren't (or MFP isn't) overestimating your efforts, there's no reason why you shouldn't eat them all provided the estimates are accurate :) I eat all of mine, and it's not affected my losses at all.

well said!
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    There is no one set number of calories that everyone should consume to prevent starvation mode. It's different for everyone! Mine is actually about 2000 if I don't exercise and more if I do. From my certifications and college courses, I've been taught that we shouldn't eat less then 80% of what we burn daily. Here's an example of how I do an analysis (with the simplest of formulas I've been taught using 1 calorie per kilogram of lean body weight per hour) of calorie needs to make this more clear:

100 kilogram (220 pounds) person, 30% body fat, moderately active, doing a workout that burns about 300 calories

100 kilograms x 30% = 30 kilograms of fat
    100 kilograms - 30 kilograms = 70 kilograms of lean body mass
    70 kilograms x 24 hours = 1680 calories for BMR
    1680 calorie BMR x 1.5 activity factor for moderately active = 2520 calories per day used not counting exercise
    2520 x 80% = 2016 MINIMUM calories per day on non-exercise days

2520 + 300 exercise calores = 2820 calories per day used on exercise days
    2820 x 80% = 2256 MINIMUM calories per day on exercise days

Now, as was previously stated, 1 day of eating below that amount won't cause "starvation mode", but a couple months of it will effectively train the body to break down muscle and store fat to be able to burn less (from loss of muscle) and have fuel for later (from fat storage). This person on 1000 calories (or even the 1200 calorie "magic number" that is touted everywhere) will go into fat storage mode faster then someone who should be consuming a minimum of 1300 calories per day due to less muscle mass, but eventually it would happen for either. So, do your math and don't trust generalizations. And if you can get a more accurate BMR estimation with a metabolic cart instead of a formula, all the better!
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Thanks Tonya! Your help is always appreciated!!

Based on that response, I believe I probably have not been consuming enough calories. So I will need to make adjustments. Thanks everyone for all your help!
  • DivainHopkins
    DivainHopkins Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    swhitney
    I've been using myfitnesspal for about 2 months. It told me I needed to consume 1330 to lose 2 pounds a week when I started at 250 pounds. I work out 3 times a week and when I calculate that in too, I have more calories to eat. My trainer said to make sure I eat those calories back because my muscles will continue to burn them off.
    Today the site said I need to eat 1200 calories. I'm sticking with the 1330 my ipod touch myfitnesspal has on it. I stay true to what I ate by putting it in and I never lie because honestly who would I be lying to but myself?
    Just try to make your calories from vegetables, fruit and protein. Why waste it on junk your body doesn't need.
    Hang in there and Good Luck!!

Di :drinker:
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Tonya,

I may have to shorten my cardio workouts because unless I am doing my math wrong that is just waaaayyy too many calories. My math brought me close to 3000 calories.
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    Tonya,

I may have to shorten my cardio workouts because unless I am doing my math wrong that is just waaaayyy too many calories. My math brought me close to 3000 calories.

Send me your info and I'll check the math for you.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Just keep in mind if your calories are too low, your body will eat into the muscle. It's best off to figure at your Basal Metebolic Rate (BMR) and then add in 50-80% your workout calories. The biggest thing is not creating a calorie deficit > 500 calories or you could slow the progress. Also, if you do a custom setup with your meals, you can set up things in stages. For the first stage, I would utilize more protein and less carbs; something liek a 40/40/20 (carbs/protein/fats) ratio. This is considered fat shredding and will help increase your metabolism. As you progress through the workouts, you can slightly add in more carbs and less protein (I would increase carbs by 5-10% after 30-60 days, depending if you feel you have a lot of energy or not). Also, BMI can be very misleading, especially when you become have an athletic build. You are better off know your BF% and measure your inches. IMO, that is the best way to see progress.