Squats

Options
Boolost1
Boolost1 Posts: 44 Member
ok somehting really strange keeps happening to me, being doing the squat challenge, the ab challenge and press up challenge, noticed that my legs started to balloon after doing 60 squats, like the michelin man, whats going on.

Replies

• RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Could be muscle pump. Does it go away?

I have been doing squats for 2 1/2 months and my legs have actually grown an inch. For example, I had a 20" leg 9 pounds ago, lost those 9 pounds and dropped to 19". I am now 20" at 9 pounds less..
  • Boolost1
    Options
    after a couple of days but then i go on to squats again and it almost doubles, then when i dont do squats nothing.... quite scary really... also jogging sometimes makes it do this.
    Have done alot of mixed martial arts but nothing has ever made it like this.
  • RoxieDawn
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Boolost1 wrote: »
    after a couple of days but then i go on to squats again and it almost doubles, then when i dont do squats nothing.... quite scary really... also jogging sometimes makes it do this.
    Have done alot of mixed martial arts but nothing has ever made it like this.

This is muscle pump for sure. The direct impact you are putting on those muscle is quite massive. I sort of look at it like every muscle is being "charge" at the time you do the squat and the impact on leg muscles is huge. I actually started squatting with barbell weights and even though my thighs are bigger, there is still so much fat layer covering them.

When I flex the muscle looks really nice so I say continue doing these. I have started to like my nice new muscles in my legs and calves (I do calf raises to)..
  • Boolost1
    Options
    Hi does this muscle pump burn more calories? what are claf raises, sorry the only excersises that I used to do were punch bag, and sit ups and squats and stuff.

i haev been doing also in between 30 day shred, tryed that insanity but so expensive to purchase, yet really enjoyed it.
  • Boolost1
    Options
    have them squats helped with the bum at all?
  • RoxieDawn
    edited April 2015
    Options
    First the muscle pump for me is an indicator that I really worked those muscles out. Would I be disappointed if I did not have it, no..

There is no way to tell about calorie or actual calorie burn "number". My squats and all lifting weights is working. It is a slow progression and I have lost inches in some places and of course I have inches in the stubborn places and it will take months. This takes patience and if you don't see results you do want to throw in the towel. You have to be patient and diligent as this is NOT the same as looking for scale weight to come off.
  • RoxieDawn
    Options
    Go here for an example calf raise: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-M4-G8p8fmc..

I do my raises with barbell weights.

I exercise a lot. I lift weights 3 days, cardio 3 days and each of these days I start with a two mile run as my "wake up" and "warm up" (plus my dog runs with me)...

All of my muscles are engaged but as you can see outside of squats, my legs get a lot of working out.. But yes, all of this is working...
  • RoxieDawn
    Options
    Let me add that you can also do lunges and these are really effective. I actually dropped these from my workout. I googled it for you and found an example"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_RYVmpWDq4
  • RoxieDawn
    Options
    I will add this, I drink a boat load of water and eat a moderate amount of protein and fat. This helps with maintaining or building muscle mass and helps with recovery of your muscles. So I keep my carbs in check (I eat moderate amounts of all three macros). Remember when working on maintaining muscle mass or building mass actually is done at rest so make sure you eat well, this will help those muscles "feel" better and "look" better...nutrition is key..
  • Boolost1
    Options
    im doign that slim fast diet at the moment with pasta with sundried tomatoe as my snack find it so difficult to eat healthily and alot as salad makes me bloated.
  • Boolost1
    Options
    thanks for the vids you train well loads
  • momxs2
    momxs2 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Good info! Thx ladies!
  • RoxieDawn
    Options
    Boolost1 wrote: »
    im doign that slim fast diet at the moment with pasta with sundried tomatoe as my snack find it so difficult to eat healthily and alot as salad makes me bloated.

Gosh I do not know how you are doing the Slim Fast diet. I hope you are eating the right balance but it sounds like you are not... :D

You have to make a choice if you want to lose weight over working on the muscle building. If you are exercising to maintain your muscle mass you still need to eat right. You will loose muscle mass not eating right.. I am proof of that from the past.. I will leave that right there... :)

If you feel you can't do or even get through your workouts, you will know that your marcos are out of sort or your nutrition needed to fuel the workouts are suffering.

• Boolost1
    Options
    I thought to start off with i never ate breakfast at all i would have one meal a day and my metabolisim is so slow. So now I have the slim fast shake i am having a breakfast each day then at nights have the shake with chia seeds, to just kickstart the weight lost. I dont have any muscle at present due to injuries with my ankle leaving me out of training for 9 months.
    I am now loking at slowly excersing including weights and cardio, but just have no motiviation at the moment as feel sluggish. I do alot of sit ups and squats and lunges yes but other than trying to jog is just not my forte find it so boring.....
  • RoxieDawn
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I hate to say this but there is no kick start regime or magic.

You have do a dietary calorie deficit (yes Slimfast will work but where is your "energy" to live on in this stuff?) and keep that going for 3 or 4 weeks. Your body takes time to adjust to the deficit so you may see fluctuations in your weight during this time but it is usually water and once your body adapts the weight (pounds) will start to shed.. I say 4 weeks if you are still on your period..

My best advice is to eat what MFP gave you the amount of calories to eat a day and eat this in food. I personally like to eat my calories and not drink them other than a protein shake after workouts.

And since your exercise is not in the equation really, you do not have to worry about exercise impeding any weight loss. You need calories burns and MFP wants you to eat a portion of those calories back to keep you in balance... Weight lifting or doing calestinics does not burn many calories during the exercise. Higher calorie burns come from cardio or HIIT..

I am back in a calorie deficit now to loose just a couple more pounds of fat (my exercise goals changed)...

edited to add: if you feel sluggish and like a slug the slim fast is not helping and you are under eating necessary calories... :):)
  • Boolost1
    Options
    I do suffer from a low blood pressure, but i am constantly busy, from job to children by the time I sit down its 7.30 so feel like I am perhaps going to pass out!!