Logging with pen/paper instead of MFP?

Options
I have been logging my calories and exercise in a tablet on my kitchen counter. I just find MFP too time consuming, and the redundancies in the food calorie amounts too frustrating. I have a calorie counter, a kitchen scale, a calculator and my pen and paper right on my counter and it just works well for me.

Am I missing out on any benefits to logging on the MFP system?

Logging in general and having a handle on calores/composition in itself has been a very life-changing toold - I'm just wondering if I am missing out on anything by just doing it the old fashioned way.

Replies

• leomom72
    leomom72 Posts: 1,797 Member
    Options
    if it works for you, great..i think the only thing you may be missing is motivation and support..best of luck
  • EmilyAnn89
    EmilyAnn89 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    just the awesome people on this site, like me :)
  • Loopyluc
    Loopyluc Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Whatever you are doing, its working!!! I dont see that you are loosing out by not doing it on here, You use the forums for support, and thats all it is apart from the tracking. Do you track your excercise as well?

Well done on 36lbs loss!! Thats fab :)
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    Not calorie counting wise. Calorie counting is calorie counting. However, MFP has a support system that your pen and paper won't give you.
  • Sunshine_Girlie
    Sunshine_Girlie Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    This website isn't just about tracking what you eat. It's about finding the support you need when you're having a rough day or when you're stick in a rough patch. I try to keep a hard copy of what I eat in case the internet goes out or if I don't have access to it.
  • bethany7687
    bethany7687 Posts: 44
    Options
    They only thing you're missing is the nutrient analysis. If you don't care about that, don't sweat. You can download the USDA Nutrient Database, which is what mfp is based on. The mfp database is ruined by user added data.
  • rainydayducky
    Options
    I think you should do what works for you. You wont keep doing it if you dont like to use the online calorie counter and have to force yourself to do it. MFP is also a support and motivational community!
  • innerfashionista
    innerfashionista Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    I agree with the other commenters - if the pen/paper method works, go with it, but you won't get the support you may need from it. Do you only count your calories, or do you watch your fat/sodium/protein intake as well? Everything that goes in your body, IMHO, should be tracked, and that could get more time consuming than just counting your calories.
  • Barelmy
    Barelmy Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    I use MFP to track nutrients as well, which is something that's harder to do with pen and paper. It depends if you need that, though. I try to keep a close eye on my protein.
  • spirited_angel
    Options
    As long as your calculations are correct i dont see any difference!!Mine wasnt,i had been doing it by pen and paper for mths without realising i was over calculating my calorie intake and wasnt eatting anywhere near enough!!On my first week on here i was been told all the time i wasnt eatting enough and my body was in danger of going into starvation mode!!Low and behold when i started eatting enough ie eatting my exercise calories (well a big deal of them) i started to lose weight again!!So all id say is be careful hun also your not getting the support or advise you would on here!!
  • ruffledviolet
    ruffledviolet Posts: 260
    Options
    i was logging with pen and post-its. for me, the benefits of MFP are that I'm more likely to stick to my plan knowing that others are "watching," and i don't want to let down my MFP friends. logging in every day really helps me to stay focused. the little bit of healthy competition keeps me motivated. and it tracks more than just calories.

everyone is different though and you might be fine with your current system.

i just think psychologically most people would do better with MFP since it reinforces positive emotions with all the support, it keeps you engaged (which you see as a bad thing, but i think for most people it helps them stay focused and makes the transition to healthy eating less of a hurdle), as everyone mentioned there's also all the support - both here on the forums and from your friends which again will make the average person more likely to meet their goals knowing they're not alone, the successes stories will keep you motivated and give meaning to your daily struggles, and when you do reach milestones and goals, you can track/post your accomplishments here and get even more positive reinforcement... the tickers may seem silly, but the visual can really help your brain stay on track. while a paper and pen may just make you feel like you're doing homework.
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Do what works best for you.
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    I lost my first 80 lbs by using just a note book and pen. The only thing I find here is the boards ( I have a boring desk job and have time to browse them otherwise I wouldn't) and I love not have to figure out my macros but other than that a pen and notebook will work just fine!
  • ladybg81
    ladybg81 Posts: 1,553 Member
    Options
    If that is what works for you, then by all means stick to it. I started out doing to same thing and the DH found this website which I find much easier. To each his own.
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    The adding back of calories from exercise would be harder to do manually and it would be pretty tedious adding up each nutrient yourself.

I used to use an Excel sheet I made myself for WW points but that's a much more simplistic (and often inaccurate) way of counting calories and nutrients but yes, it’s quick.

Don't worry about missing the people, it's about YOU. I have 7-8 pages of friends on here but have all but 1 removed from the news feed. It just isn't interesting and I find it distracting.
  • SolidGoaled
    SolidGoaled Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! I do use the forums a TON. It just the logging system I don't use.
  • charliebird
    charliebird Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I would agree with everyone else - its the support and encouragement that drives me to success on this site.

I also like to see the reports and graphs that track your progress.

You could always just Quick add your calories.

I found with the pen/paper version I would lose it or someone else would write on it!! I have the iphone app which means I can log everything where ever I am which for me is a massive help.

Good luck