Building muscle

Options
Ok so I need help...I have lost 55lbs and I'm ready to tone everything up and build some muscle. I have an at home gym that has everything on it including a leg press but have no clue where to start! Can anyone give me some ideas on a good beginners regimen. I really need to target my arms, glutes thighs and abs. Thanks so much!! : )

Replies

• Fattack
    Fattack Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    Well done on your losses! I'm also building muscle (leg muscle, specifically) following a knee injury. Leg Press will really help with your thighs and glutes so definitely give that a go!
  • Goal_Seeker_1988
    Goal_Seeker_1988 Posts: 1,619 Member
    Options
    For a beginner start out with a comfortable weight. Do between 10 to 15 reps & 3 sets. You will want to work every muscle group to get an all over improvement. Weight train for bout 3 days a week until you feel more comfortable to do extra. Try ex: chest & back day 1, legs day 2 and shoulders biceps & triceps day3.

Btw: squats & lunges are the best exercises for building strength in your legs.
  • jsparent5
    jsparent5 Posts: 5
    Options
    Toning and building muscle are different things. Remember that muscle weighs more than fat, so if you start building muscle, you may slow down your weight loss. To tone, you want to do things like pilates, yoga, and aerobics. To build muscle, you want to do strength training, like weights on or off your machine. Also, if you want to strength train without building too much muscle, you use less weights on the machines and do more reps at a slower speed. That will help you tone at the same time. I hope this helps!
  • DebiP10
    DebiP10 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    well done on your weight loss. Personally i find lunges and squats are great for the thighs and glutes (bum) you could also include some hand weights with these and curl as you lunge/squat to tone up your arms. Just an idea and it works for me.
  • ColoradoRobin
    ColoradoRobin Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    Pick up a copy of New Rules of Lifting for Women, or New Rules of Lifting for Abs. Both have good routines to help improve strength and body composition. Check out reviews on Amazon.
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    Pick up a copy of New Rules of Lifting for Women, or New Rules of Lifting for Abs. Both have good routines to help improve strength and body composition. Check out reviews on Amazon.

LOVE these books! I also agree with other posters saying squats and lunges with added weights are the best lower body moves!
  • tolygal
    tolygal Posts: 602 Member
    Options

I agree with this too! I'm doing this program and love it so far!! I've heard only great things about it.
  • babygurl1
    babygurl1 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your input. I will be looking for these books this weekend.
  • littlemissanguissette
    littlemissanguissette Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Toning and building muscle are different things. Remember that muscle weighs more than fat, so if you start building muscle, you may slow down your weight loss. To tone, you want to do things like pilates, yoga, and aerobics. To build muscle, you want to do strength training, like weights on or off your machine. Also, if you want to strength train without building too much muscle, you use less weights on the machines and do more reps at a slower speed. That will help you tone at the same time. I hope this helps!

Muscle does not weigh more than fat. A pound = a pound, regardless. Muscle takes up less space/volume, however, than fat. So someone who is the same height as you, with more muscles, will look smaller usually.