Healthy Quiche Recipe

Options
Thought I'd share last night's dinner creation in case someone is looking for something new and yummy to make!

It's an egg white and veggie quiche - very easy to make.

Ingredients
1 small zucchini/courgette, sliced
1 cup mushrooms, sliced
2 cups baby spinach
3 cloves garlic, minced
8 egg whites
1 cup skim milk
1 cup part skim mozzarella, shredded
1 tbsp chives, chopped
(I made it without a crust, but you could make a healthy spelt flour crust or cook some brown rice and mix a bit of egg white with it and press it into your pie plate)

Directions
Spray a bit of Pam (veg spray) in a skillet and "sauté" the zucchini/courgette for a few minutes over medium heat, then add the mushrooms, spinach, and garlic and cook until the spinach wilts (I added about 1/4 cup chicken broth and heated it until that cooked off). Spray a bit of Pam into a pie pan and spread the veg mix across the bottom. Top with about 1/3 of the cheese. Mix the egg whites, milk, and chives and pour over the veg. Top with remaining cheese. Bake at 350F until knife inserted in centre comes out clean. The recipe called for 20 minutes, but mine took closer to 40 (possibly because I used a glass pan?).

I did quick math to calculate the nutritional values, and my estimate comes up with only about 120 calories and 4g of fat for 1/6 of the pie, if you don't use a crust! I just served it with a fresh salad, and it was yummy!! You could easily add other veggies or herbs for variations as well.

Replies